Android OS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I know that this is a very general question, and you aren't going to be able to get specific. But I really want to switch to Verizon (and hopefully use LTE), the goal being to get grandfathered in to unlimited data while it's still available. I feel like I am playing chicken waiting for an S2 announcement. I will pick up a charge if I have to, but the idea of Cyanogenmod on the s2 (sorry, I am not a big fan of TouchWiz) makes me salivate. I have been using the Galaxy S for a while now, and went in to compare the Thunderbolt to the Charge, and I literally can't go back to that screen, having used the Super AMOLED for as long as I have has made those other screens look dull.

But the Charge would be nothing more than a consolation prize. Can you say if the S2 will hit US shores sometime soon? Again, not expecting specifics, just hoping that it's somewhere on the near horizon.

·
I v0id warran7ies
94 Posts
I mean you can atleast tell us the month if not the date

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I am pretty sure he won't be able to say any of that except that it is coming to the US.

·
I am the Stig
223 Posts
winner00 said:
I am pretty sure he won't be able to say any of that except that it is coming to the US.
+1 - I really hope this phone comes with LTE though. That is going to be the make it or break it for the S2 IMO

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
If it does come with LTE don't expect to see CM7 on it straight away. It will have the same issues with the RIL that they are having on the TB.

·
Thought Police
236 Posts
Nusince said:
If it does come with LTE don't expect to see CM7 on it straight away. It will have the same issues with the RIL that they are having on the TB.
I don't think it's so much a question of if it will have LTE... it will have LTE

Sadly for us on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint, because the 4G systems of each carrier is based on different tech then the 3G (unlike T-mo, who's 4G is just speeded up 3G) it will take us a lot longer.

-Brought to you with limited commercial interruption by tapatalk pro

·
I am the Stig
223 Posts
Nusince said:
Not necessarily as Samsung sent a SG2 to the cm team. I would think they would work with them to have a legit rom by release. I hope at least

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Thought Police
236 Posts
Brian said:
Not necessarily as Samsung sent a SG2 to the cm team. I would think they would work with them to have a legit rom by release. I hope at least

Are you sure it was an LTE enabled Verizon version? I heard it was the world band 3G GSM version on sale in Europe right now...

·
Supporting Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is no way the version that CM has is LTE. So, yeah, I agree that it won't be out right away, but this is a pretty good sign that it could be available sometime in the foreseeable future. And as to being sure that the S2 will be LTE, who knows. From what I understand, current LTE radios are thicker than the S2.

It could come in a slightly different from factor to Verizon, but it's not something that should be automatically assumed.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Brian said:

A legit rom for a 3G model sure I could see. However because of the hacked up nature of the RIL that was created by the LTE radio, unless samsung specifically releases to the CM team the RIL source it is not very likely to happen. That is the primary reason for CM7 not fully running on the TB already. They are basically having to recreate the RIL to get AOSP to run on the LTE radio.

·
I am the Stig
223 Posts
Reggieb said:
There is no way the version that CM has is LTE. So, yeah, I agree that it won't be out right away, but this is a pretty good sign that it could be available sometime in the foreseeable future. And as to being sure that the S2 will be LTE, who knows. From what I understand, current LTE radios are thicker than the S2.

It could come in a slightly different from factor to Verizon, but it's not something that should be automatically assumed.
Nusince said:
A legit rom for a 3G model sure I could see. However because of the hacked up nature of the RIL that was created by the LTE radio, unless samsung specifically releases to the CM team the RIL source it is not very likely to happen. That is the primary reason for CM7 not fully running on the TB already. They are basically having to recreate the RIL to get AOSP to run on the LTE radio.
Good point. Especially because LTE hasn't even been noted as a feature for the GSII. Hopefully though we do end up seeing CM7 on it with LTE. It would be the ultimate phone...

·
Android Apprentice
22 Posts
Can't wait for this phone.. it's my next one for sure ( unless the droid bionic / Targa has an unlocked boot loader)

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Themer
282 Posts
Justin said:
Can't wait for this phone.. it's my next one for sure ( unless the droid bionic / Targa has an unlocked boot loader)

Sent from my DROIDX
You're under the assumption that moto actually cares about and listens to their customers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts