Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
You can haz Developer Status
1,090 Posts
So, since I've put it off for so long (or as I like to call it: quality assurance), I finally give you a version of the smartass governor for the D2G 2.3.x builds. It will autoload on boot via init scripts. This /will not/ replace the default boot governor of ondemand as it's really not needed.

So without further ado: Smartass Governor

Install Instructions

1) Flash in CWM
2) Reboot (no need to wipe anything, we're just adding three files)
3) Settings -> CyanogenMod Settings -> Performance -> CPU Settings
4) Select 'smartass' from the Available Governors list
5) ?
6) PROFIT!

Credits to D2 Overclock for the kernel modules. bikedude880 wrote the init script and packaged it all up.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"swirly said:
what does this do??
It's a cpufreq governor, like ondemand or performance, except for being more efficient overall.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem, from my experience, it's been stable 24/7 for well over a month.

I still want to hit up the author of that app and see if I can't get source for it (CM integration)...

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"aceoyame said:
If its a module we could put it in our proprietary I think
Or that as well. I'd really like some feedback on how this runs for other people.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"kevdliu said:
Since I am using miui I chose it with setcpu. The speed jumps to 1200 and then down to 300 and then sometimes 600. It settles after a while at the setcpu screen without me using it. This doesn't happen on ondemand. Cpu is jumping to 1200 with no usage.
The scaling is based on device usage. That is completely normal. Just because you're not doing anything on it doesn't that it isn't running code automatically.

·
Average Android
89 Posts
Blunderbuss said:
Do you need to be on a custom rom to use this? Or can you be on rooted stock?
As far as I know, CyanogenMod is the only ROM that allows you the ability to use a governor.

I haven't tried Miui or Hexagen.

With stock GB you definitely don't have those controls.

·
AKA Spitemare
185 Posts
Blunderbuss said:
Do you need to be on a custom rom to use this? Or can you be on rooted stock?
It is possible. Pull out the ko files in the attached zip (say to /sdcard/modules/) and run the following in a terminal.
Code:
<br />
busybox insmod /sdcard/modules/symsearch.ko<br />
busybox insmod /sdcard/modules/cpufreq_smartass.ko<br />
echo smartass > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor<br />

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nis said:
It is possible. Pull out the ko files in the attached zip (say to /sdcard/modules/) and run the following in a terminal.
Code:
<br />
busybox insmod /sdcard/modules/symsearch.ko<br />
busybox insmod /sdcard/modules/cpufreq_smartass.ko<br />
echo smartass > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor<br />
Yeah, but from what I can tell, you'd have to reload the module on every boot, hence the init script that's included :p

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Nis said:
True. Getting that to happen, however, on stock GB would take a little bit of tinkering.
You'd have to be rooted... I'm sure you could make those three lines a shell script and then load them as a custom service in init.mapphone_cdma.rc. almost 100% certain that is possible.

·
Average Android
289 Posts
bikedude880 said:
You'd have to be rooted... I'm sure you could make those three lines a shell script and then load them as a custom service in init.mapphone_cdma.rc. almost 100% certain that is possible.
I am rooted, but have little experience scripting. Any chance on getting a bit of a tutorial on how to do this? It seems like a great thing to have working, but I haven't migrated from stock GB yet. As ridiculous as it may be, I use that dang alt-lock key all the time.

·
Android Apprentice
16 Posts
Do you have to be on cyanogens ROM in order to use this? I did have CM7 and wasn't happy with the performance on my D2G so I removed it anddoes went back to GB

Sent from my Boeing sponsored GB Droid 2 Global

1 - 20 of 129 Posts