Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
You can haz Developer Status
1,090 Posts
So, since I've put it off for so long (or as I like to call it: quality assurance), I finally give you a version of the smartass governor for the D2G 2.3.x builds. It will autoload on boot via init scripts. This /will not/ replace the default boot governor of ondemand as it's really not needed.

So without further ado: Smartass Governor

Install Instructions

1) Flash in CWM
2) Reboot (no need to wipe anything, we're just adding three files)
3) Settings -> CyanogenMod Settings -> Performance -> CPU Settings
4) Select 'smartass' from the Available Governors list
5) ?
6) PROFIT!

Credits to D2 Overclock for the kernel modules. bikedude880 wrote the init script and packaged it all up.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"swirly said:
what does this do??
It's a cpufreq governor, like ondemand or performance, except for being more efficient overall.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem, from my experience, it's been stable 24/7 for well over a month.

I still want to hit up the author of that app and see if I can't get source for it (CM integration)...

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"aceoyame said:
If its a module we could put it in our proprietary I think
Or that as well. I'd really like some feedback on how this runs for other people.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"kevdliu said:
Since I am using miui I chose it with setcpu. The speed jumps to 1200 and then down to 300 and then sometimes 600. It settles after a while at the setcpu screen without me using it. This doesn't happen on ondemand. Cpu is jumping to 1200 with no usage.
The scaling is based on device usage. That is completely normal. Just because you're not doing anything on it doesn't that it isn't running code automatically.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nis said:
It is possible. Pull out the ko files in the attached zip (say to /sdcard/modules/) and run the following in a terminal.
Code:
<br />
busybox insmod /sdcard/modules/symsearch.ko<br />
busybox insmod /sdcard/modules/cpufreq_smartass.ko<br />
echo smartass > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor<br />
Yeah, but from what I can tell, you'd have to reload the module on every boot, hence the init script that's included :p

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Nis said:
True. Getting that to happen, however, on stock GB would take a little bit of tinkering.
You'd have to be rooted... I'm sure you could make those three lines a shell script and then load them as a custom service in init.mapphone_cdma.rc. almost 100% certain that is possible.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
"Blunderbuss said:
I am rooted, but have little experience scripting. Any chance on getting a bit of a tutorial on how to do this? It seems like a great thing to have working, but I haven't migrated from stock GB yet. As ridiculous as it may be, I use that dang alt-lock key all the time.
Download and unzip the package, inside the /system/etc/init.d folder is a perfect example of a basic shell script :)

And that alt-lock thing bugs me to no end as well...

"aceoyame said:
You could easily set it to load the module. The apps do because they load it via a super user command. Now to load it just add a custom init.rc and you have it in stock. We have .606's system and init dump which is almost identical to .607 (or you could dump .607 yourself). Just load it like you would any other module. DO NOT LOAD THE INIT AS IT COMES WITH THIS! It is for CM and will get you a nice M Brick if you do and youll have to SBF. You will need to use blurs if you want it to auto start in blur. Also, It should work with MIUI as it uses CM as it's base.
Well said.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
aceoyame said:
We do have a good lead alt lock. Just need to dump the init ramdisk and grab a sh file that creates the /etc/12m folder.
That is purely awesome, no doubt.

I've also heard reports of 15 hours and 70% battery left (as well as my own 21 hours, 50% left). Seems to be a welcome addition thusfar :D

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
kevdliu said:
bikedude are you on cm? if so which version?
CM7-GB Nightly 10012011 (10-01-2011).

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
"sb56637 said:
Can anybody confirm that this works on MIUI? Id like to give it a shot.
Go ahead and try it. The worst that will happen is it won't show up xD

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
"sb56637 said:
Yep, that's what I would suspect.
Which oddly is not the case as I've seen it. Have you guys tried setting the max clock to say 800 and compared smartass to ondemand? So what if your CPU is jumping, have you looked into the program CPU Spy? It gives you a nice bar graph of time spent in certain frequencies... I currently have 4% in 800, 1% in 600, 8% in 300, and the remaining 87% is spent in deep sleep. Ondemand tends to peg my cpu for a longer time. 'Nuff said.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
"aceoyame said:
What im wondering is if its supporting the 5 slots properly if 800 is much better for you
That could quite possibly be the case... I'll start investigating. Good thing I labled this as beta xD

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
And most of the time the phone had the display off... no huge batt drain :p

So: probably running idle most of the time with the display off... 12 hours on extended using 10% ? Most righteous :D

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
"nuclearmistake said:
That was on a homemade version of the GB-based CM7GB... it has all of the changes in 10-06 build, but my build environment has a couple customizations, such as the sysctl.conf gets built in, and I tweaked build.prop a bit to remove the minimum touch event delay, and increase dalvik heap size a bit... all doable with the 10-06 build, root explorer and/or adb and some knowhow.
I think those should be the defaults for this device... the ones previously set are subpar. :p

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
"kevdliu said:
Is there a specific reason that they do that? I know that the use a high cpu voltage so it works across all batches of cpus but all os should be same right?
When it comes to power saving tweaks, most companies rely on the os defaults, which are (presumably) tuned for the nexus line. While ideal in most circumstances, retuning them can see a performance gain.

My system is currently running 800Mhz max w/smartass governor and a couple sysctl edits (see previous posts). Unplugged 6 hours ago, seeing an average of 2-2.5 hours per 10 percent.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
"kevdliu said:
Wow that's alot sysctl config doesn't even have all these. I guess I will have to it manually
sysctl -a

:p

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
This is by far the furthest from the smartass governor that we could be. All I ever heard from users was "lulz I can haz smartass plox". Now that it's out? "Lulz how do I use this herpaderp".

Please keep this developer-oriented thread in this developer-oriented subtopic for developing purposes, please. Thank you for helping us help you understand.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
"bikedude880 said:
This is by far the furthest from the smartass governor that we could be. All I ever heard from users was "lulz I can haz smartass plox". Now that it's out? "Lulz how do I use this herpaderp".

Please keep this developer-oriented thread in this developer-oriented subtopic for developing purposes, please. Thank you for helping us help you understand.
Archiving for hilarity. It was 2am, I was still up and hadn't had anything to complain about all day...

Herpaderp xD

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
"juv3 said:
I did both but still don't see the smartass in the setcpu option?

Sent from D2G Rocked by ApeX RC4 using TapaTaLk
I have not tested this on apex, though it would work if there were a way to set it. CM has cpu options for governor and it shows up there...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts