Android OS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Android Lover
145 Posts
Ok, I'm trying this on on my MIUI. It looks to me like it would give optimal performance with a slight battery life improvement compared to not using any governor. I tried running just Music in the background, with min CPU of 300Mhz and max of 1.2GHz. Most of the time it alternates between 600 Mhz and 1.2 GHz, and only occasionally drops to 300 MHz. If I slightly scroll the screen it instantly jumps up to 1.2 GHz. On the other hand, the ondemand governor maintains it at 300 MHz when I'm just running Music, and it slightly steps up to 600 MHz when I scroll the screen.

·
N7
852 Posts
"sb56637 said:
Ok, I'm trying this on on my MIUI. It looks to me like it would give optimal performance with a slight battery life improvement. I tried running just Music in the background, with min CPU of 300Mhz and max of 1.2GHz. Most of the time it alternates between 600 Mhz and 1.2 GHz, and only occasionally drops to 300 MHz. If I slightly scroll the screen it instantly jumps up to 1.2 GHz. On the other hand, the ondemand governor maintains it at 300 MHz when I'm just running Music, and it slightly steps up to 600 MHz when I scroll the screen.
Doesn't that mean ondemand give better batt life?

·
You can haz Developer Status
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
"sb56637 said:
Yep, that's what I would suspect.
Which oddly is not the case as I've seen it. Have you guys tried setting the max clock to say 800 and compared smartass to ondemand? So what if your CPU is jumping, have you looked into the program CPU Spy? It gives you a nice bar graph of time spent in certain frequencies... I currently have 4% in 800, 1% in 600, 8% in 300, and the remaining 87% is spent in deep sleep. Ondemand tends to peg my cpu for a longer time. 'Nuff said.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
"aceoyame said:
What im wondering is if its supporting the 5 slots properly if 800 is much better for you
That could quite possibly be the case... I'll start investigating. Good thing I labled this as beta xD

·
Droidphile
885 Posts
Great battery life! Not sure I trust CPU spy (doesn't add to 100% and often has negative percentages right after boot)

(with extended battery)
View attachment 5743

I am using /etc/sysctl.conf mods.
View attachment 5744

Sent from my D2G w/ CM7. Eat it VZW!

Attachments

·
Average Android
171 Posts
nuclearmistake said:
Great battery life! Not sure I trust CPU spy (doesn't add to 100% and often has negative percentages right after boot)

(with extended battery)
View attachment 5743

I am using /etc/sysctl.conf mods.
View attachment 5744

Sent from my D2G w/ CM7. Eat it VZW!
Which CM7 build are you on where 12 hrs only uses 10% battery life, and what's your max clock speed? I've never seen any D2G builds of CM7 ever come close to anything over 4hrs for 10% of battery to be used.

·
N7
852 Posts
"ben7337 said:
Which CM7 build are you on where 12 hrs only uses 10% battery life, and what's your max clock speed? I've never seen any D2G builds of CM7 ever come close to anything over 4hrs for 10% of battery to be used.
Well he did have the extended batt which lasts longer than standard

·
Average Android
171 Posts
kevdliu said:
Well he did have the extended batt which lasts longer than standard
Which one? One of the ones with double normal battery life, or the standard one which only has 29% more capacity? Even an extended 2800mzh seidio battery lasting that long, on a regular battery should show 5-6hrs and 90% which would be pretty impressive for CM7. I'm just surprised that the D2G has no gingerbread roms as efficient at Hexen is all, and thought someone had maybe found the miracle to Hexen battery life on CM7 which would be amazing, but I guess not.

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
And most of the time the phone had the display off... no huge batt drain :p

So: probably running idle most of the time with the display off... 12 hours on extended using 10% ? Most righteous :D

·
Droidphile
885 Posts
That was on a homemade version of the GB-based CM7GB... it has all of the changes in 10-06 build, but my build environment has a couple customizations, such as the sysctl.conf gets built in, and I tweaked build.prop a bit to remove the minimum touch event delay, and increase dalvik heap size a bit... all doable with the 10-06 build, root explorer and/or adb and some knowhow.

·
Android Lover
257 Posts
"nuclearmistake said:
That was on a homemade version of the GB-based CM7GB... it has all of the changes in 10-06 build, but my build environment has a couple customizations, such as the sysctl.conf gets built in, and I tweaked build.prop a bit to remove the minimum touch event delay, and increase dalvik heap size a bit... all doable with the 10-06 build, root explorer and/or adb and some knowhow.
I'd like to do these things. .can u advise please?

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
"nuclearmistake said:
I think those should be the defaults for this device... the ones previously set are subpar. :p

·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
"kevdliu said:
Is there a specific reason that they do that? I know that the use a high cpu voltage so it works across all batches of cpus but all os should be same right?
When it comes to power saving tweaks, most companies rely on the os defaults, which are (presumably) tuned for the nexus line. While ideal in most circumstances, retuning them can see a performance gain.

My system is currently running 800Mhz max w/smartass governor and a couple sysctl edits (see previous posts). Unplugged 6 hours ago, seeing an average of 2-2.5 hours per 10 percent.

·
N7
852 Posts
"bikedude880 said:
When it comes to power saving tweaks, most companies rely on the os defaults, which are (presumably) tuned for the nexus line. While ideal in most circumstances, retuning them can see a performance gain.

My system is currently running 800Mhz max w/smartass governor and a couple sysctl edits (see previous posts). Unplugged 6 hours ago, seeing an average of 2-2.5 hours per 10 percent.
Yeah I tweaked the minfree, dirty stuff, vfs, and oom. Don't know how much batt it saves tho

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
kevdliu said:
Yeah I tweaked the minfree, dirty stuff, vfs, and oom. Don't know how much batt it saves tho
Those are performance tweaks, not batt. They make a HUGE difference in performance if set right though.

This is what I set mine up as
Code:
<br />
vm.dirty_radio = 90<br />
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 55<br />
vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 5<br />
vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 1<br />
vm.min_free_kbytes = 4096<br />
vm.swappiness = 0<br />
kernel.sched_latency_ns = 500000<br />
kernel.sched_min_granularity = 1000000<br />
kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns = 1000000<br />
vm.panic_on_oom = 2<br />
kernel.panic = 5<br />
Thats optimized based on Imoseyon and Drod2169's findings and much discussion with Derek (drod). I would recommend using a higher vm.vfs_cache_pressure value unless you are willing to set up a crontab to dump caches pretty frequently. Imoseyon suggested using "vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 20" on his blog unless you setup a crontab. I set my crontab for every 6 hours, rather aggressive but I have never had any problems with it. This page explains how to set up the crontab and in the comments in how to set it to drop caches.

Most of those values are explained on Imoseyon's blog if anyone is interested in the reasons why they are set like that

I also use a rather extensive init.d system but thats a topic for another thread/post.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts