Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Average Android
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to get anyones hopes up because I have heard nothing of this, I just want to ask for your thoughts. Do you think Motorola delayed our Gingerbread update so that they could include an unlockable bootloader? I mean it could just be that they're making it completely stable, but the Atrix was unlocked so I don't see why ours shouldn't be. Idk.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I seriously doubt it. As for why? Because its not all up to the manufacturer, its also up to the carriers. Would be amazing if it happened but I doubt it will...

·
Android Addict
260 Posts
x13thangelx said:
I seriously doubt it. As for why? Because its not all up to the manufacturer, its also up to the carriers. Would be amazing if it happened but I doubt it will...
When VZW first make the announcement on the 15th Motorola pulled the plug because it "wasn't ready". No work even yet on what exactly that meant, but a week and a half later VZW put a hold on all future updates from Motorola until they fixed the issues with the recent update for the DX and DX2. At the time of your post both Motorola and VZW were both delaying updates on all phones to give the D3 center stage for its release. Don't expect to see ANY updates for any phones for the next 3 weeks or so. (two weeks after the Droid 3 hits retail stores).

I do know that the line about "where carriers allow" is a load of crock. All major carriers in the US have devices released in the last year with unlocked bootloaders. VZW even has a Motorola device with an unlockable bootloader that is less than a year old (the XOOM)

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Aroth said:
I do know that the line about "where carriers allow" is a load of crock. All major carriers in the US have devices released in the last year with unlocked bootloaders. VZW even has a Motorola device with an unlockable bootloader that is less than a year old (the XOOM)
I wouldnt be so sure about that. The only truly unlocked phones are the Samsung ones off the top of my head. All others require flashing back to a previous build in order to unlock it. Wasnt the xoom the first tablet? Imo, the only reason it has a lockable/unlockable bootloader is because google put pressure on moto and moto didnt want to go with another carrier.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
x13thangelx said:
I wouldnt be so sure about that. The only truly unlocked phones are the Samsung ones off the top of my head. All others require flashing back to a previous build in order to unlock it. Wasnt the xoom the first tablet? Imo, the only reason it has a lockable/unlockable bootloader is because google put pressure on moto and moto didnt want to go with another carrier.
AFAIK nothing is unlocked stock even Nexus S although unlockable. Plenty of tabs before Xoom but none with HC before it. I think you're right about Google; don't they handle the bulk of Xoom software updates like they did G1?

*Still no word on GB for D2G? My buddy has been bugging me since I duped him with false hopes last month.

·
Average Android
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
x13thangelx said:
But didn't Verizon say they were going to allow HTC to unlock the phones on their network? I don't know why carriers would disallow it, since I would think that the phone manufacturers would be the ones paying to replace bricks, not Verizon.

·
Average Android
260 Posts
jt1359 said:
But didn't Verizon say they were going to allow HTC to unlock the phones on their network? I don't know why carriers would disallow it, since I would think that the phone manufacturers would be the ones paying to replace bricks, not Verizon.
The phones do not go back to Moto when they get bricked. Atleast not directly.I returned my first D2G and it went to a VZW factory or something in Texas. I think VZW then fixes the phone and then uses it as refurb.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
The bootloader likely won't be unlocked. Verizon doesn't WANT unlocked phones, or phones that can be easily unlocked on their network. Too many people rooted and freely tethered their D1, which was the experiment. And we all know how Verizon is with charging for tethering.

As far as the refurbs, yes, Verizon handles those. That's why they're always screwed up in some way. They take a returned, defective phone, and turn it right back around and ship it off to a different customer if it isn't beat to shit and boots. Thus the large issue with their "Certified Like-New" devices. I know this one from experience.

--
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
ツンデレ
59 Posts
Fenuxx said:
The bootloader likely won't be unlocked. Verizon doesn't WANT unlocked phones, or phones that can be easily unlocked on their network. Too many people rooted and freely tethered their D1, which was the experiment. And we all know how Verizon is with charging for tethering.
But see, even with this locked bootloader, you can still very easily tether for free, so that really makes no difference.

I don't get it.

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
I'm sorry to sound like a TOTAL noob, but I am to a sertain extent. =) So from what I am reading, am I understanding correctly, the ONLY reason for a bootloader is so you can teather??

·
ヤンデレ
836 Posts
In VZW's eyes, it might be true. As in, "it allows people to use our network for tethering and they don't pay us $25/mo for that".

Otherwise, unlocked boot loader means the ability to run any kernel you fancy. Locked boot loader binds the developers to the existing official (signed) kernels.

Reactions: MischiefsMommy

·
Android Apprentice
34 Posts
I think for the gingerbread update, its getting held back so only the droid bionic would have it, making it more appealing. But the droid 3 has it probably cause it was built around it or something. Same *might* go for the droid bionic about the bootloader.

·
Android Master
975 Posts
I will remind everyone it really doesn't matter what Verizon allows or disallows provided Moto eventually releases an unlocker for SOME carrier!

Unless EVERY carrier blocks the unlock it will be easy to use it on a Verizon unit.
The lock isn't any different for Verizon than it is for Sprint or AT&T.

And I'm willing to bet that an unlock for a D2 will work just as well on a D2G.
Even if not out of the box it will at least show us how it can be done and it won't take long to port that method to our phone.

·
ヤンデレ
836 Posts
Asphyx, well, isn't Atrix 4G's bootloader unlocked?

·
Android Master
975 Posts
x13thangelx said:
From a leaked test build pulled from Moto's servers iirc. It wasnt with the OTA.
Yep and Atrix is really a very different beast from the Droid Series, 4G and It has the dual procs because it was intended to be docked to make it a computer as well.
Which is probably why they worked on unlocking that one at Moto at all!

If any Droid series phone gets an unlock to use we should be able to use it with a little but of tweaking.

·
Android Apprentice
10 Posts
x13thangelx said:
From a leaked test build pulled from Moto's servers iirc. It wasnt with the OTA.
excuse my ignorance and you probably know about this better than i do .. but in my opinion an unlocked bootloader no matter how it achieved is still an unlocked bootloader... am i not correct?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts