Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Blacked Out Themer
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is it.. just pushed last night and already inverted! The major part of this was done by B-boy, I just added the finishing touches and did a few smali edits..

Instructions for ROOTED users.....

uninstall updates for gmail
download the app
navigate to app
select and install.....enjoy

if this doesn't work, then you will need to use RE, rename gmail.apk in /system/app to gmail.apk.old and then REBOOT, if you do not reboot it won't work!!

Now return to the app, select it, and install... enjoy

Non-Rooted users, you can give this a try and see if it will work...

uninstall updates for gmail
download app
navigate to app
select and install
You will know right away if it works.....

Always make a backup and enjoy Gmail 2.3.5.... Blacked Out

http://bit.ly/Gmail235BlackedOut

Rooted users... if you have issues installing, let me know and I will post some update.zips... but this should work for ALL devices...

·
Marty Mcfly/Theme Dev
912 Posts
There any big differences with changing the text color between this and 2.3.4?

·
Marty Mcfly/Theme Dev
912 Posts
ok, so should all be in the same place then... need to bluify it :D Thanks man.

·
Android Master
563 Posts
Awesome as always guys! Anyway to make the text in emails white instead of grey so its a little easier to read?

Sent from my thunderbolt using my f***King thumbs

·
Blacked Out Themer
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will take a look but the problem is that if an email has its own background and that background is white then you won't be able to read the text. That gray is a good color that we found works on both white and black backgrounds

·
Android Master
563 Posts
"ecsnead69 said:
I will take a look but the problem is that if an email has its own background and that background is white then you won't be able to read the text. That gray is a good color that we found works on both white and black backgrounds
That makes total sense now that you mention it.

·
Themer
44 Posts
ecsnead69 said:
Yeah, the smali edits are in slightly different places in this version
Would you mind sharing where and what smali files you had to change?

I've been searching for quite some time on this and no one has yet to figure it out

Thanks in advance

·
THEMER/JEDI COUNSEL/GODFATHER of Inversions
800 Posts
babydollcg_26 said:
Would you mind sharing where and what smali files you had to change?

I've been searching for quite some time on this and no one has yet to figure it out

Thanks in advance
Its not an issue if figuring it out.... ecsnead already knew the general area of the text colors in smali so I left that part for him.... if I knew where they were I would have told you 2 weeks ago when you were trying....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Android Master
563 Posts
"websterzx10r1 said:
I am trying to install this on a stock Evo 3d i downloaded app but it refuses to install? each time and i restarted phone.
Did you uninstall the updates to gmail first?

·
Blacked Out Themer
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, you will need to uninstall updates first.. Also, I cannot say for sure that this will work on stock non-rooted phones....

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
Rooted rom running MIUI 1.7 i tried to rename the original gmail app but get an error message that says cannot be renamed and a regular install finished with a "application not installed" message

·
THEMER/JEDI COUNSEL/GODFATHER of Inversions
800 Posts
astjuste said:
Rooted rom running MIUI 1.7 i tried to rename the original gmail app but get an error message that says cannot be renamed and a regular install finished with a "application not installed" message
In root explorer it says it can't be renamed/moved/anything because the filebos read only .. so hit the little tab at tthe top that says "mount r/w or r/o" and then retry..... then you must reboot since it's a system edit... then it'll install fine... or should, at least.... otherwise you will get the not installed messages if you try to override the old Gmail.Apk....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Blacked Out Themer
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, for anybody using CM7 or MIUI based from CM7, this is what you need to do to install this Gmail.... First, delete the original in /system/app... REBOOT.... install the app... it WILL force close.... Open RE and go to the /data/app folder and long press on the app... select MOVE... navigate to the /system/app folder and press "PASTE".... back out of RE..... REBOOT... after this, it will be good.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts