Android OS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
News Team
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is not so much a practical thread but more of a discussion one. Has anyone taken a look at Gnome 3 at all yet? I kind of hate it. It reminds me of how Apple is sort of trying to pull mobile features into Lion (although I don't really use Lion, I'm going based off of what I've read) and my point is mostly that I don't think that these features belong in a desktop OS. I do think that sometimes Linux users can have a tendency to be a little bit aloof in one sense, like "well if you're too dumb to use Linux then I just can't help you" and I don't exactly want to be like that, but I also don't want the operating systems that I actually like to be dumbed down to the point of the iPhone, either.

Anyone have any thoughts about mobile-esque features being implemented into desktop OSes? Doesn't have to be just Linux, I just brought it up because the impression I got from Gnome 3 is that it's sort of going in that direction, and I personally am not a huge fan. Feel free to express any and all opinions however

·
O_o
1,395 Posts
I just installed Fedora 15 and I assume the new interface is Gnome 3?

If so, I like it. I liked the old version too but I find the new one to be fairly slick. What mobile features are you referring to?

·
News Team
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably should have made more sense
Mostly by mobile features I mean like...giant big buttons and an almost iPad-like interface, if that makes sense. It seems more geared toward a tablet or a mobile operating system than a desktop to me - which is totally great for a tablet! I guess I just worry about that ending up on a desktop. I do think Gnome 3 *looks* really pretty. I'll have to give it another go on my laptop. I'm thinking about installing Fedora 15 on there and playing around with it some. I'll have to give it another chance. I'm all for ease of use, I guess, it's just that one of the things I like about Linux itself is it doesn't do what Apple always does and assumes that every end user is an idiot and can't find their home folder button. I felt like Gnome 3 sort of takes away from that a little bit.

I'll give it another shot though! I know a lot of people love Fedora 15 regardless, and you don't have to use Gnome 3 on it anyway if I decide I hate it. I usually try to force myself to not be stubborn about change anyway, because it's a good thing that all Linux distros don't still look like things from the 1980s.

(Can you tell I'm not an Apple fan?)

·
Developer
194 Posts
Assuming you went with the Gnome spin, I'm pretty sure that Fedora 15 comes with Gnome 3. With Ubuntu 11.04 I know I hated that bar that they included that was originally included with the netbook version of 10.04/10.10? And trying to gain access to the menu in Ubuntu was horrible because because I had to try hovering over that corner menu multiple times for it to work a lot of the time so I had to ditch it. Sometimes trying to make things more convenient actually makes things worse.

·
O_o
1,395 Posts
I can definitely see how Gnome3 would be more touchscreen friendly than the previous version. But at the same time, I like it lol. Yeah everything is bigger and prettier and simpler but that is how things are going lately. Compare XP to W7, everything got bigger, shinier, and simpler. Same with Apple like you said. Linux is different than both of the big OSes but when it comes down to it, I guess it needs to evolve in the same ways they do in order to compete when it comes to new users or people on the fence.

Either way though, I love Gnome3 lol I should give Unity a try at some point too.

·
Android Lover
127 Posts
I hated GNOME 3. Absolutely hated it. Something about it seemed too awkward on a screen bigger than 10 inches

·
News Team
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This link here emphasizes what I'm talking about, unfortunately. Here's a TL: DR example from the post:

Where has the appearance capplet gone?
GNOME 3 is deemphasizing user customization, or 'theming' in favour of a 'just works' and 'slick out of the box' approach. Therefore, theme changes are no longer exposed in the core configuration UI, except for accessibility themes such as 'High Contrast' or 'Inverse', which are available in the 'Universal Access' panel.
Changing the desktop background is still possible, using the 'Background' panel. The mechanisms to select a different theme are still in place, e.g. you can change the toolkit theme using the gsettings command:

ARGH. lol. Earlier in the post, the Fedora team basically says they remove the "restart" option because it "muddles the system menu." WHAT!? Seriously, what. You have to log out, and then hit reboot. Or, alternatively, they suggest going into terminal and typing "restart." Because that's...easier for the end user and 'just works' 'out of the box?' I mean honestly.

/nerdrage over

I'm still playing with it, although I decided to use Linux Mint with a Gnome 3 shell after a day of playing with Fedora 15 with a Gnome 3 shell and getting frustrated with Fedora 15. Also, Fedora 15 doesn't have the Nvidia Experimental drivers I need for my laptop to work properly. Basically, it's still me playing with Gnome 3 on my laptop, just with Mint underneath it. Whether it makes me frustrated or not though it's always fun to play with something different, and since I'm out of class for the summer I don't need my laptop right now anyway

·
Trenton
268 Posts
yeah i tried gnome3 on my cr48 and i thought i had set it up wrong or something. turns out thats just the way it is lol. even after tweaking it so i could actually put files and folders on the desktop space...i still found it to be un usable...i tried to like it...i tried.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Running Ubuntu 11.04 myself, with the Unity fork of Gnome 3 I think I can comment on it. I do not think it has been implemented well at all. I recently got a second hand LCD monitor from a relative so now I have two screens, and it just does not work! The bar is now on the right hand screen, so it appears in the middle of everything, but to get it to reveal itself you need to hover your mouse over at the left hand screen. It's also buggy and uses a ton of RAM which I can't spare.

The new menu and workspace switcher on the other hand are nice, it's just the launcher which bugs me.

·
Developer
194 Posts
Unity just really bothers me with how poorly it was integrated into the system. If Ubuntu didn't present so troublesome when I was first trying to use it I would probably never have branched out to a different distro. I'm glad I stayed in the Debian family though because of the massive support it has at the moment. However, I did just recently try out Fedora 15 to see what kind of support and polish it had and was very disheartened by how difficult it was to install the NVIDIA drivers on a laptop compared to the one click option that Ubuntu/Mint have. Anyone know what Gentoo and SUSE are like once they're up and running?

·
O_o
1,395 Posts
Yeah I like Ubuntu/Mint for it's user-friendliness. Everything is easy to do and in the case of Mint, is usually already done for you. LOL

·
Android Apprentice
38 Posts
Unity just seems unfinished to me. I'm just troubled that there seems to be this trend to dumb down the desktop. This may make things easier for novices, but it stifles the power users who like powerful desktops and flexibility.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I liked Gnome 3 but absolutely hate the Unity spin off of it that Ubuntu did. Fedora 15 is very nice however its considerably harder to get set up right after being used to Ubuntu

·
O_o
1,395 Posts
I'm running Fedora15/Gnome 3 but I think I'm going to try Ubuntu/Unity just to check it out. Maybe just run a LiveCD and if I hate it then nevermind haha.

I remembered one of the very few reasons I don't like linux... Netflix doesn't work on it. It requires Silverlight with DRM built in and Microsoft won't release a version for linux. There is a Mac and Windows version, there are linux versions of silverlight (Moonlight) that do everything except DRM. :|

Oh well, no netflix until I'm back home with my ps3.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
I have to agree with the OP. I can't personally speak for Gnome3 I can speak for Unity (although I do have Gnome3 lined up to put on my desktop to see what it is about. I haven't brought myself to do it yet).While I can understand why the distro's want a more polished look they should not lose basic functionality for the power users and bury the basic settings. Another of my concerns is how well these new environments will work with multi monitor systems. They were made for netbooks and tablets, what about those of us that still want to use a desktop with several monitors, I don't understand why we should be forced to use a system that was made to optimize screen space. I have a 46" monitor and a 21" monitor on my desktop, I don't need my screen space optimized, I have plenty of real estate to spare. The one positive thing with Ubuntu 11.04 is that you still have the option in the login screen to go with the Classic Ubuntu Desktop and not Unity, supposedly this will change with 11.10, I hope not otherwise when support runs out for 10.04 LTS and 11.04 I may have to look for a different distro to run. The main reason I run FOSS is for openness and the ability to customize the way I want. I will not be pigeon holed into a slick new look if it does not function the way I need it to.

·
Android Apprentice
53 Posts
I would have to say that after installing Fedora 15 numerous times in the past month, it was only today that I found I could "yum install @xfce" and get back to running a great OS on a GUI that actually does the job a lot easier and simpler and with better organization.

To address your original question in the OP, Gnome 3 /could/ become a very touch-friendly tablet OS if not a mobile-friendly OS (if that were possible - and should be if a few of my G+ members can port Natty Ubuntu to the MyTouch 4G). Gnome has the underpinnings of a great touch UI, and could beat out iOS if development were steered in that direction. Personally, after using Xfce today, I'm more inclined to think this way; and if it seems Linus T. and a growing number of Fedora amd Linux users can't even stand Gnome 3 as the it operates today, then perhaps Gnome 3 should move not only in this direction but a revamp as well.

Edit: Speaking of the future of Gnome 3, here's an article from the Gnome designer himself - Jon McCann - here. :android-smile:

·
Android Apprentice
14 Posts
I have been using Fedora since Fedora 4 (early 1990's). I really like Fedora 15, but don't like their "emphasizing user customization, or 'theming' in favour of a 'just works' and 'slick out of the box' approach". I prefer the "works out of the box" approach, especially when showing someone who's been using Windows the past 15 years what Linux will do. Unfortunately, Fedora 15 made me revisit some old friends, Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

·
Linux Dude
138 Posts
"Tahl said:
Unity just really bothers me with how poorly it was integrated into the system. If Ubuntu didn't present so troublesome when I was first trying to use it I would probably never have branched out to a different distro. I'm glad I stayed in the Debian family though because of the massive support it has at the moment. However, I did just recently try out Fedora 15 to see what kind of support and polish it had and was very disheartened by how difficult it was to install the NVIDIA drivers on a laptop compared to the one click option that Ubuntu/Mint have. Anyone know what Gentoo and SUSE are like once they're up and running?
I've ran opensuse, and the kde interface was not to my liking. It reminds me of windows. Tiling and window management is better than in gnome 3. And plasma supports Widgets and gadgets right out of the box (if you dig that). If you want to try gentoo, sabayon is a good place to start because you don't have to compile everything to get it up and running. Just my 2¢.

·
Android Apprentice
53 Posts
For those that are interested, GNOME 3.2 is now available and the Release Notes can be found here. Quite the change, imo, and I'm looking forward to updating F15 to see the changes for myself and switch from my xfce desktop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts