The stock Email application enjoyed by Nexus and some Play Edition device users is now available for most users to download as a standalone app from the Google Play Store. There are a couple exceptions, the Galaxy S4 (my daily driver) and the HTC One M7 aren't eligible to download the application.

sshot

The stock application sports the following basic features:

• The Email app lets you read and manage email from different accounts all in one place. Got Hotmail? Yahoo Mail? Outlook? No problem-the Email app brings it all together, with the same great experience you get in Gmail.
  • The Email app also supports:
    • IMAP, POP3 and Exchange accounts
    • Ability to select which folders to sync
    • Quick responses
    • Automatically downloading attachments via Wi-Fi

The application is not perfect by any stretch. For those who have not used the stock Google Mail app, it works similarly to an older version of Gmail when it comes to UI. It has been noticed that bulk deletions are not available. Encryption capability appears to be missing as well for those who need strong HIPAA compliance. From my experience though, using it with a work Exchange account, it's fairly sleek. Google did state that they added some increased security measures to the app.

There's even a changelog for the first version. It is as follows:

• Increased security for Gmail accounts
  • Easier account setup flow
  • Printing
  • Other bug fixes

Feel free to let us know if you have an incompatible device. Hopefully Google will continue to free their native applications. As I mentioned my device is not allowed to run the app. If you were able to install it, let us know what you think. Were you able to utilize the print feature? Does it work well enough to replace an OEM default email application?

Google Email is now available for Free in the Google Play Store.​

H/T: Android Police