Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
28 Posts
Guide to Free GPS Bluetooth sharing between Android phone and CM7 HP Touchpad:

1)
First download 'Share GPS Beta' on the Android phone WITH GPS (tick NMEA in the app settings).

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jillybunch.shareGPS

2)
For the CM7 HP Touchpad WITHOUT GPS download an app called 'Bluetooth GPS' (has a blue round icon) and select Mock GPS Provider (also make sure the same setting is set in the Settings>Applications>Development menu).

https://market.android.com/details?id=googoo.android.btgps

3)
Pair both devices via bluetooth. And in 'Bluetooth GPS' app on the CM7 HP Touchpad select your Android device that has bluetooth and press connect.

4)
Find something useful to do with GPS now that its on your HP Touchpad (albeit with a little help from another Android phone).

PS: This also allows you to use the latest version of Facebook without it Force Quitting (among other apps that I haven't got round to trying yet)

Update:Works with Wifi sharing over 3G as well when Touchpad is tethered to the same phone via wifi.
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
4,550 Posts
Good idea to start a thread on this...it's been asked about multiple times on other threads.

Rakeesh first posted the above info a few weeks ago even before the Android port was even available, and I've used it for GPS on my TP several times since CM7 was released, works great! :)

In order to have maps available if you're in a car/away from a wifi source, you can:

1. Pre-cache map tiles in Google Maps for the areas you want to navigate in - you can cache up to ten tiles, each 40 sq miles. Long press on a spot on the map in the center of an area you want to cache, select the pop-up that appears, then select "Pre-cache map area" on the place page for that address. Map info (for multiple levels of zoom) is stored on your sdcard, and you can access that map area when away from wifi.

2. Pair your phone w/your TP via wifi tether, for live maps via tether while away from home/office/Starbucks wifi
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even before it was even available? :p I didn't see that. How would that info have been relevant if no-one could use it on their HP Touchpad? Or was his guide just a general one for android to android GPS sharing via bluetooth?
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
4,550 Posts
zondajag said:
Even before it was even available? :p I didn't see that. How would that info have been relevant if no-one could use it on their HP Touchpad? Or was his guide just a general one for android to android GPS sharing via bluetooth?
Multiple forum members had been asking about how we could use maps on the TP, knowing that the TP didn't have a GPS but was going to get Google Maps w/CM7. :) There was a lot of pre-release Jonesing about all kinds of "can we do this?" stuff before the release. :D I've been posting his info (pretty much exactly what you said above) on various threads when folks asked about it, but glad you made a thread for it, will make it easier for folks to find the info.
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Redflea said:
Multiple forum members had been asking about how we could use maps on the TP, knowing that the TP didn't have a GPS but was going to get Google Maps w/CM7. :) There was a lot of pre-release Jonesing about all kinds of "can we do this?" stuff before the release. :D I've been posting his info (pretty much exactly what you said above) on various threads when folks asked about it, but glad you made a thread for it, will make it easier for folks to find the info.
Oh right that clears things up a little bit. I hope this helps atleast one person out there.
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
28 Posts
According to Android Market Bluetooth GPS is not compatible with my TouchPad. Running a2.1 that should have the Market fix. Any suggestions?

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
4,550 Posts
keebs said:
According to Android Market Bluetooth GPS is not compatible with my TouchPad. Running a2.1 that should have the Market fix. Any suggestions?

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
Shows up in my market as installed (which it is) and no comments about not compatible...I don't remember having to side-load it, thought I got it from the market.

Go ahead and clear market data (settings>apps>manage>all, find Market in the list and clear data, and restart Market and see if that makes any difference.

Worst case, you can install it on your phone (assuming you have an Android phone), copy the apk to your TP, and side-load it. Or someone can upload the apk here.
 
  • Like
Reactions: keebs

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
23 Posts
So I got my phone (Verizon Droid X) and Touchpad paired but for some reason my Touchpad shows I'm off the coast of Liberia, Google Maps on my phone shows me the correct location but the Share GPS app has the wrong lat/long. Any ideas how to fix this?
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
4,550 Posts
Shut down the shareGPS app, go to settings>applications>manage and find it in the list and clear data, and restart the app and see if it can get the right location.

Also could restart your phone to see if that helps. Always been spot-on for me in terms of location.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,812 Posts
crunkfrunk said:
So I got my phone (Verizon Droid X) and Touchpad paired but for some reason my Touchpad shows I'm off the coast of Liberia, Google Maps on my phone shows me the correct location but the Share GPS app has the wrong lat/long. Any ideas how to fix this?
I have seen this from Bluetooth GPS before. I have had better luck with 'Bluetooth GPS Provider (red Icon)' here: https://market.android.com/details?id=de.mobilej.btgps&feature=search_result

I have used that version for nearly a year with my G-tab and an external GPS. I've also used it as indicated in OP with shareGPS. It's proven to be more stable for me.

BTW. CoPilot works wonders on both the HP Touchpad & the Viewsonic G-Tablet. Nothing compares to a 10" tablet that also runs android :)
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
23 Posts
Clearing data helped, but the connection has always been spotty, it constantly disconnects and reconnects, I tried the workaround on Bluetooth GPS but that make things worse, I will try the other apps and see if that helps
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
4,550 Posts
crunkfrunk said:
Clearing data helped, but the connection has always been spotty, it constantly disconnects and reconnects, I tried the workaround on Bluetooth GPS but that make things worse, I will try the other apps and see if that helps
Bummer...on my D2 it's rock-solid with Bluetooth GPS.
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
4,550 Posts
Zaphod-Beeblebrox said:
I have seen this from Bluetooth GPS before. I have had better luck with 'Bluetooth GPS Provider (red Icon)' here: https://market.android.com/details?id=de.mobilej.btgps&feature=search_result

I have used that version for nearly a year with my G-tab and an external GPS. I've also used it as indicated in OP with shareGPS. It's proven to be more stable for me.

BTW. CoPilot works wonders on both the HP Touchpad & the Viewsonic G-Tablet. Nothing compares to a 10" tablet that also runs android :)
One ignores Zaphod-Beeblebrox at their peril...BTW, is it really true that you are available in 6-packs? ;-)
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
2 Posts
Redflea said:
One ignores Zaphod-Beeblebrox at their peril...BTW, is it really true that you are available in 6-packs? ;-)
I have tried both, but neither works with my Aria (running cm7). The blue one connects, but no gps data is passed through. The red one won't connect at all.
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
4,550 Posts
Bummer...must be some level of incompatibility between the two devices BT connectivity. I've connected my phone (D2) and BT GPS device (Freedom 2000) w/out issue.
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
12 Posts
crunkfrunk said:
I seem to have found the problem, unfortunately none of the other apps in the marker seem to work at all. My phone displays the correct lat/long for where I am but the Touchpad moves the decimal place over on the lat/long to get my location totally wrong, I uploaded some screenshots.

View attachment 6769 View attachment 6770
Looks like you're my neighbor, I don't see many people posting from Liberia :grin2::grin:
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top