Android OS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is how you do it courtesy of Shannon VanWagner

and his website Humans Enabled

Thanks Shannon. Here is the what you should do: again all credit goes to Shannon VanWagner. Fire up a terminal session:

1-
Code:
sudo apt-get install libusb-dev
2- download libmtp tar.gz from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmtp/files/libmtp/

3-cd to the directory you downloaded to: Download in this case, case sensitive

Code:
cd Download
4- extract the tar package

Code:
tar xvf libmtp-1.1.1.tar.gz
please make sure you check the file version, this file changes as it is updated and change it accordingly per the above website

5- cd to the newly created folder that has the extracted file:

Code:
cd libmtp-1.1.1
again don't forget to change the name if the version has changed

6- compile and install: do each step separately

Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr
Code:
make
Code:
sudo make install
7- while in the same directory in the terminal, copy the rules from there to the udev folder:

Code:
sudo cp 69-libmtp.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
8- install gMTP:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gmtp
9- open up gMTP, go to edit/prefrences and check the box for Always Show Download Path. This way when you are downloading from the phone to your computer, you are asked to choose a location. Use the Add button to upload from your Linux Box to the phone. Delete does, well, Delete a file.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for this, but whenever I go to open up gMTP on Ubuntu 11.10, and I do add/search for devices the program freezes and then closes. I also used 1.2 instead of 1.1 mtp libs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
As an alternative, you can do something like

1) get this https://play.google....re=related_apps or use dropbear on the terminal

2) set it up and run it

3) in your linux desktop in the folder bar for switching folders, type:

sftp://username:p[email protected]

After that, you can transfer files over wifi from your computer to android securely or from android to your computer (including your filesystem outside of the "sdcard").

·
Registered
457 Posts
Seriously try out qtadb it works awesome. Its basically an adb based file explorer and then some.
Thanks for making this suggestion. After messing with it for a day, I finally got it working. Had to "chmod +x QtADB" to get it to run. Took me a while to figure that out.

·
Android Apprentice
372 Posts
I am running Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and everything seemed to compile and I have the 69-libmtp rules file in the etc/udev folder, but gMTP will still not connect with my GNex. I can use Wifi File Explorer, but would really like to set this up to work properly. I tried the 1.1.3 libmtp and that just threw errors in the make command, so I tried 1.1.2 and it compiled, but gMTP still doesn't see my GNex. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a bit of a Ubuntu noob, so please be nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts