Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Android Lover
455 Posts
Standard Disclaimer: What you are about to do will void your warranty. There is also the slight possibility that you could damage your phone if you do it wrong -- and maybe even if you do it right. You undertake this activity with that in mind and are solely responsible for the results.

First off, all thanks goes to CVPCS for making this. This is not the official clockworkmod recovery from Koush, but works fine. What is a bootstrap? It is a "recovery" but it hijacks parts of the boot process during the system initialization and starts into the clockworkmod recovery instead of booting android. If something goes wrong you will need to FXZ back to stock because the only way to boot into the clockworkmod recovery is by using this app.

What this does: Installs ClockworkMod Recovery and allows you to flash custom ROMs and make nandroid backups, etc.
What this does not: Does not unlock your boot loader.

You will need to be rooted in order for this to work.

Download Bionic Boot Strap

How to BOOT STRAP the BIONIC
1. On your phone go to settings>Applications> and check Unknown sources
2. If you downloaded on your computer connect your bionic and select USB Mass Storage option
3. Move the APK to your SDcard
4. Disconnect your phone
5. Browse to the APK using any file explorer and select it for install
6. Select install and open with its done
7. You have two options: 1. Bootstrap Recovery and 2. Reboot Recovery. We want option 1. It will ask for SuperUser click yes and then it should give you a message saying "Success!" click OK.
8. You now have ClockWorkMod recovery installed and you can click reboot recovery. It will take you to CWM if it was done correctly

To navigate in CWM use the volume keys for up and down and the power button to select. Before you do anything else please make a backup and move the file to your computer. To boot into CWM in your app draw you should see an app called Bionic bootstrap, open the app and select reboot recovery.

Original release thread http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?5513-CWM-Recovery-for-the-Droid-Bionic-by-CVPCS
CVPCS blog post http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-09-16/bionic_bootstrap_recovery

·
Android Apprentice
46 Posts
Thank you very much!
So I come from the land of The Droid Charge. I'm use to CWM being broken in several areas for that phone. Forgive me, but I have to ask this question... Is there anything broke within CWM on this phone? Can I now make reliable backups and such?
Thanks again!!

·
Average Android
311 Posts
adroidman said:
Everything works :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using RootzWiki Forums
Flashing .zips isn't working.

Already teamed up with JRummy on this and can't figure it out.

·
Android Lover
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you give me more info? Or have jrummy contact me?

·
Average Android
311 Posts
adroidman said:
Can you give me more info? Or have jrummy contact me?

So I tried flashing literally ANYTHING...and I get
E:Error in /sdcard/Whateverfile.zip
(Error Status 0)
Install aborted.

Anything from a theme, to a boot animation, even something that has nothing more than a mere ui_print
Nothing is flashing. Returns the error mentioned above.
We both tried a bunch of things. Mounting /system manually, toggling signatures..etc etc...

·
Somebody hates me but you can't please everyon
113 Posts
Could it possibly be because of the way the bionics sdcard file systems are setup?

·
Best Buy Mobile Lead
124 Posts
sensatti said:
Could it possibly be because of the way the bionics sdcard file systems are setup?
I wondered the same thing at first, but I took a peek and my Nandroid backup actually did to go the SD card, not to the internal storage. This might be a long shot, but it's just a guess since the internal storage is named /sdcard (which is really ****ing retarded to begin with, but we won't go there) so perhaps you could unmount /sdcard and /sdcard-ext and remount the location of the external SD card (/dev/block/vold/179:1) as /mnt/sdcard, and then mount the internal storage to /sdcard-ext, essentially flip-flopping the two temporarily.

I doubt that would actually do anything but it's just a random thought since googling "clockworkmod status 0" doesn't really return anything other than people asking about it.

·
PROUD MEMBER OF AXIOM FAMILY
119 Posts
I agree that it obv has something to do with the partioning of the bionic's sdcard/sdcard(-ext) ~>
When trying to flash a zip from sdcard, it only gave me my sdcard-ext directory to choose from ....

ANYONE find a solution yet -or- why it is doing this ?! I guess all .zip files or files to flash, should just be put into the sdcard-ext directory ?!

MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO ALL WHO BROUGHT US THIS INITIAL RECOVERY !!

·
Android Lover
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am trying to get in touch with someone about testing things but its hard when no one replied back. My guess is that you will need to move the files into the partition that it let's you pick from.

·
Android Beginner
19 Posts
Hey guys, not new to rooting, just to the locked bootloader phones from Moto. Had the OG Droid then moved on to the Thunderbolt. Got the Bionic yesterday and rooted it immediately...At any rate, just a quick question before dl'ing this app...I understand you run the bootstrap app to get to CWM, right? Then no other special issues before doing a nandroid? Just asking because I dumped a cool $600 on the phone and don't want to do something wrong right out of the shoot...Thanks in advance!

·
CELL TECH
1,173 Posts
I know this might be lame for asking but is there 2 storage areas like the x2, and if so have you tried putting the file you want to flash on both just to see if its one or the other, I'm about ready to ditch my d2 which ive had for a year and a half for a bionic and I need to know its just as hackable, by the way, you guys have made amazing progress in the short time its been out and i just want to congratulate and thank you all, I cant wait to get in the mix with you guys and help crack this motherf#%ker wide open.

Reactions: IA10ECN

·
Android Apprentice
127 Posts
i thought this is supposed to be an apk...i just downloaded and i got a zip file? am i doing something wrong?

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
vinzky said:
i thought this is supposed to be an apk...i just downloaded and i got a zip file? am i doing something wrong?
it is an apk. your computer probably just has apk's associated with your zip program. just a guess.

·
Android Lover
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok guys sorry to not be offering any support been to busy to mess with anything android :'( but CVPCS has released a fix and you can find it here http://cvpcs.org/projects/android/bionicbootstrap scroll down to the bottom where it has update binary. I will be posting this in the OP this weekend. Sorry again guys but work is hectic right now.

·
Super User
785 Posts
adroidman said:
Ok guys sorry to not be offering any support been to busy to mess with anything android :'( but CVPCS has released a fix and you can find it here http://cvpcs.org/projects/android/bionicbootstrap scroll down to the bottom where it has update binary. I will be posting this in the OP this weekend. Sorry again guys but work is hectic right now.

thanks, but I've just read the link you posted from CVPCS's blog:
Simply replace the existing update-binary found in your install packages (should be found under META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary) with the one below, repackage and try again!

I have NO IDEA what he's talking about lol

For those of us that aren't familiar or comfortable with code, will a newer version of Bionic Bootstrapper be released including these new changes (whatever they are lol)

Also, what's wrong with the Bionic Bootstrapper app now? I've made a couple nandroid backups, but haven't done anything else with it. Should I not use it at this point?

·
Android Lover
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Safe to use and its for the developers that need to flash .zips for there roms and such. You will need to do this when a rom is released. But I will post detailed instructions this weekend.

·
Android Apprentice
42 Posts
I just flashed kejar31's deodexed ROM with no issues. I had to move the .zip file from the sdcard to the sdcard-ext and all was good. Does anyone know if any instructions on how to get into CWR from a reboot has been released? I can't seem to find it. On my X if I had to do a battery pull or something like that I could enter CWR through stock Recovery (stock recovery and then reboot would then put you in CWR before the phone rebooted), but it doesnt seem to work that way on the Bionic. Thoughts anyone?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts