·
Android Apprentice
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all I take no credit for any of these techniques
And not responsible if you mess up your phone
Rooting your phone VOIDS your warrenty

Drivers
They need to be installed for the phone to be recognized on your computer...
download here

Root Method
There are many ways to root these are the apps and zips that have work for me
Superoneclick
by shortfuse
AIO captivate toolbox
by bay wolf
update.zip​
1.download update.zip
2.On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > USB settings and select Mass storage
3. Plug your device into your computer, select mount USB from your device's pull-down window
4. Copy the update.zip to the INTERNAL SD memory
5. Turn your phone off.
6. Hold down volume up and volume down while powering on the phone, this should get you to a recovery menu, you may have to try this a few times.
7. In Recovery menu select 'Reinstall Packages' (use vol_down then power to select)
Phone will reboot and you have:1. su+Superuser 2. busybox (/system/xbin/busybox)
By LeshaK at Samdroid.

here is a video
[video]
[/video]

These methods have worked on 2.1 and 2.2 firmwares
If your on a 2.3 ROM you should know how to root

·
Android Apprentice
47 Posts
i've had a harder time getting into recovery on non-rooted captivates, for some reason.... lol, who knows why.
If anyone else is as unlucky as me, just know that you can always "adb reboot recovery". Fairly common knowledge, but i just thought i'd put it out there.

·
Captivate/Atrix Dev
38 Posts
tibbbbor said:
i've had a harder time getting into recovery on non-rooted captivates, for some reason.... lol, who knows why.
If anyone else is as unlucky as me, just know that you can always "adb reboot recovery". Fairly common knowledge, but i just thought i'd put it out there.
Also, "adb reboot download". But those should be last resorts, because if you get into a situation where you need recovery and can't get an adb interface, you're in a mess... like needing a jig and all that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts