Android OS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
totally new to root here. my i500 is from Ntelos and is the Showcase. Here's my questions:

I upgraded my phone to 2.3.5 from 2.3.4 through Samsung Kies recently so I should already have the drivers...do I need to redownload the drivers in Section 6?

Do I only need to do step 6 correct if I want to just achieve a really basic root. I'm not all that interested in custom rom but the other functionalities would be great. I came from HTC which I was quite familiar with. This is my first Samsung device.

If at any time something screws up with the 9 steps in Section 6 can I just do a reboot on the phone can I start over?

thanks for all the help.

btw i'm running stock 2.3.5
baseband s:i500.04 K.EI20
Build #: SCH-i500.EI20
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
totally new to root here. my i500 is from Ntelos and is the Showcase. Here's my questions:

I upgraded my phone to 2.3.5 from 2.3.4 through Samsung Kies recently so I should already have the drivers...do I need to redownload the drivers in Section 6?

Do I only need to do step 6 correct if I want to just achieve a really basic root. I'm not all that interested in custom rom but the other functionalities would be great. I came from HTC which I was quite familiar with. This is my first Samsung device.

If at any time something screws up with the 9 steps in Section 6 can I just do a reboot on the phone can I start over?

thanks for all the help.

btw i'm running stock 2.3.5
baseband s:i500.04 K.EI20
Build #: SCH-i500.EI20
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7
Thats correct

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need a lil help if possible..
Followed Section 4 of guide.. and it worked perfectly :)
But I dont have any data service (C-Spire Showcase)
Data did not work on Hacksung rom or on Gummy showcase rom (current)
Did I do something wrong.. or do I need to change some settings?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I had perfect data before the root and after root
Just lost it when flashed to Hacksung build 2 and also on Gummy

Did I need to ODIN flash a seperate radio / modem / kernel after or before the Gummy Rom install? I thought that it was built in the Rom??

EDIT: I took it back to 2.2 stock froyo, and did *228 and received 3G again, then rooted again and flashed Rom... data works!!
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
At some point, I must have obviously screwed up, but:

It reboots every time I go to install build5, and it does this when it checks some file.​

And then in the log it says:
  • E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
  • E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
  • E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
  • E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
  • E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

·
LUV DEM ANDROIDS
856 Posts

It reboots every time I go to install build5, and it does this when it checks some file.​

Are you flashing build 2 first?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

your in the wrong recovery

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Need a lil help if possible..
Followed Section 4 of guide.. and it worked perfectly :)
But I dont have any data service (C-Spire Showcase)
Data did not work on Hacksung rom or on Gummy showcase rom (current)
Did I do something wrong.. or do I need to change some settings?
I would odin back to stock...and build 2 for the fassy might break data on a showcase. You need showcase specific roms...check out that section for them. Also there is a datafix.zip floating around here somewher that might work for ya.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
So the EC09 radio works fine with ICS roms (AOKP to be specific)? I'm trying to pinpoint an issue I'm having, and updating to the latest radios never hurts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys! This is a great guide but I'm running into a problem. I've rooted my stock 2.3.5 fascinate and I've gotten to the part where I try to install build 2 by team hacksung in cwm for cm7 but the phone shuts off while at the mtd line just after installing update. I've rooted plenty of other phones and I've never seen this happen. I also tried installing aokp build 39 and the same exact thing happened. What do I do?

Edit: I plugged in a microusb cable and it seemed to have booted into a different version of cwm. It looked like the same one thats on my gnex. The install continued and almost finished but then shut off. I'm confused...

Edit #2: There is also 5 errors every time I boot into cwm. It can't mount cache/recovery/command , log last_log. It also can't open cache/recovery/log or last_log. Its also having trouble mounting system when I try to format it.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Hey guys! This is a great guide but I'm running into a problem. I've rooted my stock 2.3.5 fascinate and I've gotten to the part where I try to install build 2 by team hacksung in cwm for cm7 but the phone shuts off while at the mtd line just after installing update. I've rooted plenty of other phones and I've never seen this happen. I also tried installing aokp build 39 and the same exact thing happened. What do I do?

Edit: I plugged in a microusb cable and it seemed to have booted into a different version of cwm. It looked like the same one thats on my gnex. The install continued and almost finished but then shut off. I'm confused...

Edit #2: There is also 5 errors every time I boot into cwm. It can't mount cache/recovery/command , log last_log. It also can't open cache/recovery/log or last_log. Its also having trouble mounting system when I try to format it.
odin back to stock and start over, then make sure your in the blue recovery 4.x before flashing ths2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bootlooped while trying to flash JB (was on ICS). Couldn't get back to CWM so I oden'ed back to stock and flashed the updated CWR. Trying to flash THS ROM from CWM 4 and I get "E:Can't mount /sdcard". I can't mount it from the systems and mounts menu either. I tried fixing permissions but that did't help. Should I format the card and try again?

BTW, I can view the card when the phone is booted and running the stock ROM.

EDIT: When wiping data I also see this: "Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure! Skipping format..."

SOLVED!

I rebooted the phone and formatted the sdcard while in the OS. Then I put the ROM back on the card, booted to CWR and flashed the ROM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just want to thank droidstyle for posting this how to. I just purchased a Fascinate and with your excellent instructions I ended up with Jellybean. I was overwhelmed with all the info on the web and your posting was the best. Thanks again.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts