Android OS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I just live here
475 Posts
First off I will update as much as possible. I also want to thank poitee, as I kang'ed most of this post off of him, he did ask me to take over this thread for him. You'll find instructions on how to root at the bottom of the post. Skipping the information beforehand is not recommended however.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE!

Ok.. now for some basics:

Root: The process of installing the superuser apk providing you full read/write/modification privileges to your phone. I huge thanks to chainsdd For providing the superuser app that allows for such greatness.

ROM: The Operating system. Can be stock or modified. For the Samsung phones they can be provided in a Odin package or a ClockworkMod (cwm) package.

Kernel: The piece of software that communicates to the hardware. This is where most of the hardware magic happens. Overclocking... WIFI... GPS... 3g/LTE.. ect...

Odin: Recovery software use to flash from a computer to your phone via a USB Cable.

ClockWorkMod or CWM: A custom recovery that is used to flash clockwork mod compatible roms ending with a .ZIP filename. Also has higher level functions such as formatting/wiping various parts of your phone and enabling Voodoo lagfix.

Voodoo Lagfix: Samsung uses a filesystem called RFS which is very slow. The voodoo lagfix converts the RFS system into an faster more modern EXT4 providing higher speeds and no lag. It is very important to remember if you are converted to Voodoo you must continue to run a Voodoo kernel unless you use Odin to recover your phone or disable lagfix via ClockWorkMod.

Voodoo Sound: I believe supercurio's creation which drastically improves sound quality via the headphone jack of your phone. This REQUIRES the use of Voodoo Sound app available off the market to enable its functionality.

Voltage Control: Be sure to check your Kernel and see if it supports Voltage Control.. This app is used to modify and add different overclocking speeds (mhz) to your phone along with changing the voltages.. Undervolting and Overvolting. Be careful and use caution and know what you are doing before messing with this.

So you still want to flash roms/kernels and take the risk of voiding your warranty or destroying your phone??? Read on....

Currently there are 8 different versions of the Samsung software. 3 are Froyo, 5 are Gingerbread ED1, ED2, EE4 are the Froyo versions. EG02, EP1F, EP1H, EP1Q, EP1W, EP3, EP3HA are the Gingerbread versions. ED1 came stock on the phone. an OTA update was available upon launch to ED2. More recently EE4 was pushed OTA which provided a new baseband (radio software). There have been several leaks of Gingerbread, EP3HA being the most recent, stable and fastest release to date.

CHECK YOUR PHONE SOFTWARE AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON AT LEAST EE4 BEFORE FLASHING NEWER ROMS. This will save yourself headaches down the road.

Before you begin in this task be sure to download Odin and the EE4 Stock Odin package available Here This is how you will return your phone to normal if something bad happens. BE SURE YOU HAVE THIS BEFORE YOU BEGIN.

Installing Recovery
Clockwork Mod Recovery
This is the most recent version of CWM available. Flash this via Odin. Instructions on how to use Odin will come later in the post.

Installing Radios
You can find a list of all the available radios for both Froyo and Gingerbread HEREhttp://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php...l*-List-of-Roms-Kernel-s-Radios-Tweaks-Themes

Installing Kernels
You can find a list of all the available kernels for both Froyo and Gingerbread HEREhttp://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php...l*-List-of-Roms-Kernel-s-Radios-Tweaks-Themes

Ready for a new ROM?
You can find a list of all the available ROM's for both Froyo and Gingerbread HEREhttp://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php...l*-List-of-Roms-Kernel-s-Radios-Tweaks-Themes

Odin Instructions:

Download the latest version of Odin from HEREhttp://www.mediafire.com/?yn37uc4z3cx3bl6

From power OFF. Hold the Volume DOWN key, insert the USB provided by Samsung (I personally have had bad luck with the aftermarket cables.). You will see a Yellow Triangle + Downloading on your screen. If this doesn't work, try the next method.

Remove the battery from your phone and plug it in to your computer via the USB provided by Samsung (I personally have had bad luck with the aftermarket cables.) You will see a Yellow Triangle + Downloading on your screen. Re-Insert your battery

Un-check F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot

Chose ******PDA******* in Odin by checking the box next to the PDA Button.

Chose the proper Odin image you wish to flash by pressing the PDA Button and navigating to the file you downloaded. These files end in .md5 or .tar.

Click Start. DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE UNTIL IT IS COMPLETE! Odin will show a green box and pass on the top left hand box when complete!

**ODIN will erase the contents of your phone in most cases**

CWM Instructions:
To boot into recovery, your phone must be turned OFF.
Hold Home + Volume UP + Power, once you see the Samsung logo, you can release POWER, but you must keep Home + Volume UP pressed down. Once in recovery, you will see a variety of options. wipe data/factory reset, advanced / wipe dalvik cache, install zip from sdcard, backup and restore are the options you should become familiar with as they are the most used options.

To install a rom, you will "install zip from sd card", "choose zip from sdcard", then select the file you wish to flash. If you placed the file in the root of your SD card, it will be available in the initial menu. If you placed it in a folder, it will be in the specified folder.

To install a kernel, you will "install zip from sd card", "choose zip from sdcard", then select the file you wish to flash. If you placed the file in the root of your SD card, it will be available in the initial menu. If you placed it in a folder, it will be in the specified folder.

It is NOT recommended to use Rom Manager with the Droid Charge, as there are known boot-loop issues with it.

Rooting Instructions:
Determine which version of Android you want to run. I recommend using Gingerbread, as it should be released via OTA soon and is IMO faster and smoother than Froyo. However, i'll give instructions on both versions.

Froyo Instructions:
Using Odin, download and flash thishttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1092114 in Odin. This file will give you a rooted Kernel, Superuser App, and a few tweaks as well. This file will keep your system and look completely stock. You can download a custom ROM and install it via CWM from this point. If you would like to flash directly into a custom from stock. Skip the previous file, and download the ODIN version of the ROM. Once flashed, custom ROM's are already rooted.

Gingerbread Instructions:
Using Odin, download and flash thishttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=PSFSPJYK in Odin. This file will give you a rooted Kernel and Superuser App. After flashing the first file, you'll need to download and flash thishttp://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?223-RECOVERY-Clockwork-Mod-Recovery. This file will keep your system and look completely stock. You can download a custom ROM and install it via CWM from this point.

Yes, it's that easy, as long as you follow those steps and instructions listed above. If you have any problems, feel free to join us in our IRC channel specifically for the Droid Charge
Verizon Droid Charge IRC Channel

·
Average Android
279 Posts
Installing rooted gingerbread has two steps. Do I need to flash these back to back Odin or do I boot the phone before flashing the second file?

·
Average Android
279 Posts
"Rythmyc said:
You can Odin the Gingerbread.tar and Recovery.tar back to back. No need to boot up.
Thank you. I just picked up a charge a couple days ago and I'm learning the whole Odin process. I've been Motorola until now so this is all new to me. I think I'm about ready to get this thing rooted and running gingerbread.

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
Hi Rythmyc, thanks for this info. i do have one problem... i followed the gingerbread instructions and all seems well unless i plug in my phone to charge it when it's off. i get the battery with static progress circle for a couple seconds, static battery level (no moving dots below) for a few seconds, blank screen, rinse and repeat loop. i have tried reflashing with and without CWM step, and both 4.0.1.4 and 4.0.0.8 CWM's (blue and yellow banana screens). i get it right out of the gate as well as after setting up using etc. phone seems ok, got a boot loop once when i tried to turn on the phone while it was charging. got any ideas? i got no dukes, kernel does this right?

edit: i've had rooted froyo and GC FE, then went back to bone EE4 stock for few weeks before trying the gingerbread steps you laid out.

EDIT: So boys and girls this is a lesson in a $hitty charger... i noticed it doesn't do this when connected to my PC and charging... so i tried a diff AC charger, no weirdness. move along, nothing to see here but some dude making his first post in error about a crappy charger. mods can delete this post of they'd like, won't hurt my feelings.

·
Smartass in Chief
1,318 Posts
sl33p3 said:
Hi Rythmyc, thanks for this info. i do have one problem... i followed the gingerbread instructions and all seems well unless i plug in my phone to charge it when it's off. i get the battery with static progress circle for a couple seconds, static battery level (no moving dots below) for a few seconds, blank screen, rinse and repeat loop. i have tried reflashing with and without CWM step, and both 4.0.1.4 and 4.0.0.8 CWM's (blue and yellow banana screens). i get it right out of the gate as well as after setting up using etc. phone seems ok, got a boot loop once when i tried to turn on the phone while it was charging. got any ideas? i got no dukes, kernel does this right?

edit: i've had rooted froyo and GC FE, then went back to bone EE4 stock for few weeks before trying the gingerbread steps you laid out.

EDIT: So boys and girls this is a lesson in a $hitty charger... i noticed it doesn't do this when connected to my PC and charging... so i tried a diff AC charger, no weirdness. move along, nothing to see here but some dude making his first post in error about a crappy charger. mods can delete this post of they'd like, won't hurt my feelings.
Welcome to the wonderful world of flashing and modding. Pretty much all of us have derped like that at one time or another. Come on in, the water's fine.

·
Android Apprentice
58 Posts
awesome post. sat here for about 3 hours trying to find this simple process out and eventually found it here. you guys are awesome

·
Registered
4 Posts
This post is amazing. I finally had enough of the orange & brown, followed these steps, and now the sun is shining again...

From a completely newbie perspective - - what's missing to me is the following: When you go from ROM to ROM, what can you do to avoid having to re-install all your apps? I just had to manually re-install everything when I got to GummyCharged GBE 2.1. My thought is, there's gonna be some update at some point, and if there's a way to avoid the painstaking process of re-installing all the apps, that'd be great.

If this is a ridiculous question, sorry, I'm brand new. Maybe point to a thread that describes what to do so other newbies know where to go...

·
Supporting Member
54 Posts
Hi all. New to the Charge from Droid X. Loving this phone so far. The link to the CWM download seems to be broken. Any other sources available?

·
Registered
1 Posts
[sup]Hello, Newby to rootin here, I want to be able to use the Hotspot on my phone, so All I do is use odin and flash the two files under Gingerbread? I just got the OTA update to my stock phone. Would I need to download a custom ROM and use CWM too? Some simple instructions here would be helpful. Thanks![/sup]

·
Registered
13 Posts
You will still have to pay for the hotspot. This isn't something rooting your phone will solve. Wireless carriers can see the different network stacks of your packets, thereby seeing if you are using the modem function or hotspot. And it's still the same hotspots afaik.

·
Registered
1 Posts
He should be able to use ad-hoc wi-fi programs, such as Open Garden and Barnacle. You just need to make sure that the device you want to use will pick-up the ad-hoc signal. Correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have gingerbread 2.3.6 and trying to root it.
Do I need to back up my phone?
Do I need to delete my apps first?
And after getting all my downloads, would I be correct in following the steps on Originaldobos youtube video for rooting these phones?
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey ! i just really messed up and bricked my verizon Droid charge.... is there anyway i can reverse this and just bring the phone back to orignal stock? please help.
my email is [email protected]

~thanks!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts