Android OS Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
74 Posts
Only if you're already rooted and have recovery installed and have not taken the ota update. The latest vzw ota update broke root and recovery if ive read correctly. I don't have the s4 so if I'm wrong feel free to chime in and correct me.

sent from my thumbs...

·
Supporting Member
4,550 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Alright. So I just got a sgs4, coming from an s3. I have read reports that the bootloader was unlocked, but I can't find anything other than that initial posting about it. This phone is right from the store and has the i545vruamdk baseband and jdq39.i1545vruamdk build numbers.

Should I keep this firmware, or should I go for the ME7?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The root link to ME7 works great.

Ok dumb question, but Ive looked and looked, and now searched the forums....

Where is develop options? Its always been right there between "about phone" and "date and time"?? On every galaxy I've ever had!

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The root link to ME7 works great.

Ok dumb question, but Ive looked and looked, and now searched the forums....

Where is develop options? Its always been right there between "about phone" and "date and time"?? On every galaxy I've ever had!

Any help is appreciated.
You need to first tap build number 7 times under settings, about phone to get dev. Options to show...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Soooo.... I followed all of these instructions and my phone has been rooted and working for months. However, I decided I wanted to try some new ROMS and cannot seem to flash any zip packages or ROMS? Any ideas? I can get to TWRP just fine and do backups. Any help would be great thanks. Also any ROM suggestions would be helpful as well.

·
Android Lover
1,389 Posts
Possibly an ignorant question:
After extracting ODIN on the PC, do I put it on the phone? Or hook the phone to the PC to boot into ODIN?

I rooted my last two phones with adb, not familiar with ODIN.

EDIT- After carefully rereading the "how to ODIN" linked in the OP, I think I'm ok. All those acronyms were foreign to me, but once I figured out what "PDA only" meant it became pretty straight forward.
GNex Toro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone trying to root their phone and they've updated OTA to NC5.

The easiest method to do this now is via towelroot.

This might be old news but I didn't feel like scanning through all of these comments to see if anyone else suggested it.

Just head on over to towelroot.com, click the logo and download the apk. Open it on your phone, and click the button. Reset after it's finished, and then use the SuperSU to update the binary and boom... thats it.

**edit: more details were found here: http://www.andromods.com/root-unlock/sch-i545-vzw-galaxy-s4-kitkat-rooted-i545vrufnc5.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
im afraid ive borked my phone. screen doesnt light up when i start it up. blue light in the upper left corner stays on. says, in tiny letters, "kernel is not something enforcing" i followed instructions here to a "t". now what?? my phone is an sm-s975l

21 - 32 of 32 Posts