Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been looking for a hardware accelerated launcher for a decent amount of time now. I know the stock AOSP launcher has HW acceleration, I know touchwiz does, and I know ICS does. Does anyone know of another launcher I could use that has HW acceleration? I found a port of touchwiz but it just crashes when you try to move icons.
Here's the link: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1061883
Would someone be able to get this version of touchwiz working? I would be able to donate if someone could figure this bad boy out.

·
Android Beginner
20 Posts
ithink adw is but only with honeycomb or higher.

and you offering to donate for someone to port touchwiz seems kinda humorous. After you commission that can you get them to get sense 3.5 for my og droid?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ithink adw is but only with honeycomb or higher.

and you offering to donate for someone to port touchwiz seems kinda humorous. After you commission that can you get them to get sense 3.5 for my og droid?
Well, I've already had touchwiz on my TB so I know its possible. I remember I had sense on my OG. Buggy as hell, but if someone would have worked on it, it could have been epic.

·
2/3 KIEF 1/3 LEAF
295 Posts
You are misinformed. No android version below honeycomb supports hw acceleration. It does not matter which launcher you run on gb there is NO hardware acceleration on the bolt, period. Now, once ics is stable on our devices, then you will see hw accel at work but not before.

Sent from my ADR6400L using RootzWiki

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
You are misinformed. No android version below honeycomb supports hw acceleration. It does not matter which launcher you run on gb there is NO hardware acceleration on the bolt, period. Now, once ics is stable on our devices, then you will see hw accel at work but not before.

ProTekk has it working

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well I've heard it from multiple sources so I wasn't sure. I really want a snappy launcher similar to touchwiz. I feel like with my TB I'm always left wanting more. Any Ideas? I've tried ADW, Go Launcher, Regina 3d, and Launcher pro. I keep seeing lag in the app drawers in all of these launchers. I hate it.

·
2/3 KIEF 1/3 LEAF
295 Posts
ProTekk has it working

You mean protekk has it working in his ics rom, right? I shouldn't necessarily have said "stable" I suppose. But in all honesty the ics roms have come so far. And despite the fact that data and various other things don't work the builds are currently fairly stable. Obviously nowhere near daily driver level, but fairly stable none the less, and awfully fun to play with. Either way, to my knowledge there are no gb roms with hw accel support and considering hw accel is built much deeper in to the android os than the simple launcher app, it is very unlikely that an alternative launcher could enable features that were never there to begin with.

·
Average Android
716 Posts
Don't know how it works but liquid aosp 3.2 has a setting for "gpu acceleration"

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using RootzWiki

·
Android Beginner
47 Posts
Well I've heard it from multiple sources so I wasn't sure. I really want a snappy launcher similar to touchwiz. I feel like with my TB I'm always left wanting more. Any Ideas? I've tried ADW, Go Launcher, Regina 3d, and Launcher pro. I keep seeing lag in the app drawers in all of these launchers. I hate it.
As a former owner of two Samsung smartphones, I can't tell you how strange it is to hear "TouchWIZ" and "snappy" in the same sentence.

Sent from my Bad Assed Mobile Fone

·
Android Lover
417 Posts
Sounds like you have a Kernel issue change up that or overclock a bit. I have zero lag in app drawer or launcher.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you have a Kernel issue change up that or overclock a bit. I have zero lag in app drawer or launcher.

I'm running skyraider with JD kernel OC'ed to 1.6ghz. Smartass V2. It is a fresh install. Tried a new kernel earlier, but it made the lag worse. I wiped everything 3x and redownloaded twice. Anything in particular that has worked for you?

·
Android Lover
417 Posts
I'm running skyraider with JD kernel OC'ed to 1.6ghz. Smartass V2. It is a fresh install. Tried a new kernel earlier, but it made the lag worse. I wiped everything 3x and redownloaded twice. Anything in particular that has worked for you?
I am on BAMF Forever, IMO 5.0.1 kernel, 368/1068 took it off safe mode, only slightly undervolted, and my phone is just fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am on BAMF Forever, IMO 5.0.1 kernel, 368/1068 took it off safe mode, only slightly undervolted, and my phone is just fine.

I think it is fixed. I used the V6 Supercharger script and it seems snappy as hell. It switched the minfree values. After reboot... PRESTO. I was able to switch my OC settings to 1024ghz on interactive v2. Here's the link of the how to just in case. Should I make a thread for it?! Maybe others may find this useful...?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1334834

·
Android Apprentice
200 Posts

·
Android Beginner
26 Posts
Are you serious? Touchwiz it the farthest thing from snappy. Adw and launcherpro are almost instantaneous. How the hell did you make such a judgement?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Android Enthusiast
28 Posts
Are you serious? Touchwiz it the farthest thing from snappy. Adw and launcherpro are almost instantaneous. How the hell did you make such a judgement?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Lol, you seem really upset about his statement? custom roms with touchwiz on the galaxy S2 are insanely fast and the apk in the first post is extremely fast too except for the fact it force closes when you try to add widgets.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol, you seem really upset about his statement? custom roms with touchwiz on the galaxy S2 are insanely fast and the apk in the first post is extremely fast too except for the fact it force closes when you try to add widgets.
Yes, I am very serious. I am referring to TW 4.5. It is EXTREMELY snappy on my TB and if it didn't crash It would be my default.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts