Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
? - ???
1,158 Posts
My buddy received a certified new device today, no back cover or battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
That is standard replacement method. They only replace what is bad

·
? - ???
1,158 Posts
Just wondering if they are sending out refurbished handsets yet. I had to get mine warrantied out today and was wondering if I would likely receive a refurb?
If you haven't had very long less than 60 days I wouldn't except a refurbished device. Demand new

·
I play with lazers (literally)
513 Posts
About a week ago my brother got a "certified like new" nexus because I diagnosed his other with memory problems. Absolutely scracthless all the way around. I think when Verizon gets these backs they replace a lot of stuff. Replace the internals, keep the radios, replace the digitizer so it's scratch free, that kind of stuff.

·
Nexus Flashaholic
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About a week ago my brother got a "certified like new" nexus because I diagnosed his other with memory problems. Absolutely scracthless all the way around. I think when Verizon gets these backs they replace a lot of stuff. Replace the internals, keep the radios, replace the digitizer so it's scratch free, that kind of stuff.
Would you say it was just as good or better than new? no problems?

·
513 Posts
Would you say it was just as good or better than new? no problems?
Now how could it be better than new.

It was as close to new as I could tell, and I have OCD with phones so I did a thorough inspection. I'll tell you what, if it's anything but new you better call them up and give them hell.

·
Nexus Flashaholic
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now how could it be better than new.

It was as close to new as I could tell, and I have OCD with phones so I did a thorough inspection. I'll tell you what, if it's anything but new you better call them up and give them hell.
Thats the thing. I did call and was pretty stern about getting a new phone. They stated that because of their policy, since its out of the 14 day return policy that they will ship a refurb. I did get a cool rep who gave me free overnight shipping, but I'm really only worried about screen banding and dead pixels. I know I can return it and get another one but I hate the hassel. I have gotten better refurb phones on my droid x but since the phone is so new I want a new one. Apparently they dont do that.

·
Android Apprentice
80 Posts
Gentlemen gentlemen..... I run a warranty center.... its apparent you guys don't know how the warranty process works with Verizon and Samsung. When you send your broken phone back it goes to a central processor at Verizon to be checked over for "warranty only flaws" such as a bad radio, bad pixel etc.. the phones that have liquid damage or physical damage are immediately crushed and recycled as raw material. The ones that are deemed factory defects are sent to Samsung in south Korea where they undergo the same scrutiny. 100% of the phones that go to Samsung are dismantled and the case and many of the internals are crushed and turned into raw material. The only thing coming out of south Korea that makes these phones refurbished is that they have reused silicone and possibly reused main boards.... everything else is brand spanking new.... so in essence the phone is basically brand new. Don't worry that its a refurb. Seriously

·
Nexus Flashaholic
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gentlemen gentlemen..... I run a warranty center.... its apparent you guys don't know how the warranty process works with Verizon and Samsung. When you send your broken phone back it goes to a central processor at Verizon to be checked over for "warranty only flaws" such as a bad radio, bad pixel etc.. the phones that have liquid damage or physical damage are immediately crushed and recycled as raw material. The ones that are deemed factory defects are sent to Samsung in south Korea where they undergo the same scrutiny. 100% of the phones that go to Samsung are dismantled and the case and many of the internals are crushed and turned into raw material. The only thing coming out of south Korea that makes these phones refurbished is that they have reused silicone and possibly reused main boards.... everything else is brand spanking new.... so in essence the phone is basically brand new. Don't worry that its a refurb. Seriously

This is what I was looking for. Thank you good sir

·
Android Apprentice
80 Posts
Also, after 30 days your phone is no longer brand new and you can't possibly expect any company to replace your device with a brand new one after 30 days. What electronic company on planet earth does that? 99% of the companies on planet earth don't do that. You can't go back to ford after 30 days and say I want a new car.... you can't go back to Sony and demand a new PlayStation.... you can't just trade in your computer from dell and demand a new one...

So why in gods name does all of the rules magically change when it comes to cell phones??? Remember, your 2 year contract and monthly payment goes to verizon for the right to place a phone call on the network... NOT for a flawlessly working phone

·
513 Posts
Thats the thing. I did call and was pretty stern about getting a new phone. They stated that because of their policy, since its out of the 14 day return policy that they will ship a refurb. I did get a cool rep who gave me free overnight shipping, but I'm really only worried about screen banding and dead pixels. I know I can return it and get another one but I hate the hassel. I have gotten better refurb phones on my droid x but since the phone is so new I want a new one. Apparently they dont do that.
That's standard.

I haven't seen a lot if any dead pixel reports on the GN, I wouldn't worry abotu that.

·
Carbon-Based Robotic Tech Machine
2,243 Posts

What about the devices that are tested and received as no fault found? They can't be sent back for warranty and won't be destroyed if they are not damaged to a certain extent (minor cosmetic flaws). Who refurbishes them? New Breed? I have received quite a few banged up and dented refurbished devices, 2 Droid Xs that were really bad. One had all 4 corners banged up as if it had been dropped a lot and one corner had a gouge out of it. One had what appeared to be a tiny hair on the screen. When I tried to brush it away, it was actually a chip in the screen that had not fully detached. And about a dozen Blackberries - usually took 2 or 3 refurbs to get a good quality one of those.

Now I did have a refurb Droid Incredible 2 and that was flawless the first time and many other good refurbs as well. So while they can be good, there is still some room for improvement.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What about the devices that are tested and received as no fault found? They can't be sent back for warranty and won't be destroyed if they are not damaged to a certain extent (minor cosmetic flaws). Who refurbishes them? New Breed? I have received quite a few banged up and dented refurbished devices, 2 Droid Xs that were really bad. One had all 4 corners banged up as if it had been dropped a lot and one corner had a gouge out of it. One had what appeared to be a tiny hair on the screen. When I tried to brush it away, it was actually a chip in the screen that had not fully detached. And about a dozen Blackberries - usually took 2 or 3 refurbs to get a good quality one of those.

Now I did have a refurb Droid Incredible 2 and that was flawless the first time and many other good refurbs as well. So while they can be good, there is still some room for improvement.
I got a returned ogd1 and it had a lot of little craps in the screen on the inside.

·
Android Enthusiast
81 Posts
My buddy received a certified new device today, no back cover or battery.

I had to do so, but the device looked brand new. It's just the standard packaging. The phone has only been out for a little over a month. It would be surprising if they had refurbished devices already. Plus the one I had replaced was rebooting all the time on me, and the one I got back doesn't. I don't think someone would return a perfectly working G-Nex

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.