Android OS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Carbon-Based Robotic Tech Machine
2,243 Posts
Gentlemen gentlemen..... I run a warranty center.... its apparent you guys don't know how the warranty process works with Verizon and Samsung. When you send your broken phone back it goes to a central processor at Verizon to be checked over for "warranty only flaws" such as a bad radio, bad pixel etc.. the phones that have liquid damage or physical damage are immediately crushed and recycled as raw material. The ones that are deemed factory defects are sent to Samsung in south Korea where they undergo the same scrutiny. 100% of the phones that go to Samsung are dismantled and the case and many of the internals are crushed and turned into raw material. The only thing coming out of south Korea that makes these phones refurbished is that they have reused silicone and possibly reused main boards.... everything else is brand spanking new.... so in essence the phone is basically brand new. Don't worry that its a refurb. Seriously

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
What about the devices that are tested and received as no fault found? They can't be sent back for warranty and won't be destroyed if they are not damaged to a certain extent (minor cosmetic flaws). Who refurbishes them? New Breed? I have received quite a few banged up and dented refurbished devices, 2 Droid Xs that were really bad. One had all 4 corners banged up as if it had been dropped a lot and one corner had a gouge out of it. One had what appeared to be a tiny hair on the screen. When I tried to brush it away, it was actually a chip in the screen that had not fully detached. And about a dozen Blackberries - usually took 2 or 3 refurbs to get a good quality one of those.

Now I did have a refurb Droid Incredible 2 and that was flawless the first time and many other good refurbs as well. So while they can be good, there is still some room for improvement.

·
2,243 Posts
CLNR's are not refurbs.
Can you elaborate on that statement? Certified Like New Replacement would mean that it is not new. If it is not new or contains at least some re-used parts, then it by definition would be refurbished, would it not?

·
2,243 Posts
Lol yeah that looks like the Droid X's I got.

To the gentleman who posted he runs a warranty center, if this has been sent back to Samsung and the only thing that has been reused is some of the internals... Yeah I don't think so. This was likely one of the no fault found ones that was just tested and shipped back out.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

·
2,243 Posts
I had to email the reps pics of the phone, luckily i had just opened the box i doubt if i had the phone all day they would have believed me. they were skeptical as it was, understandibly. ive gotten probably 4-5 replacement phones from Verizon over the last 5 years, and ive never had one that wasnt in perfect condition besides this one.
You are lucky then. I have had way too many to count that were not even close to "Like New." I have never been questioned though when I report an issue with one since I have a history of not accepting them if they are even scratched, as that is always the condition they get mine back in. I went through 6 Blackberry Tours within 10 days because they kept sending ones that were actually broken or physically damaged. Gouges in the screens, wouldn't activate, one actually had the plastic portion of the USB connector broken most of the way off. It was just pins for the most part. I have only had one in the last 12 months though and that was after the 4 Droid X's in a month they gave me an Incredible 2 that was perfect. So it is hit or miss, but I can't believe they still don't have a handle on quality there and let crap like your device out the door.

·
2,243 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Here's my story, I actually traded a brand new Droid Razr (it had wifi issues) for a refurbished G-Nex from Verizon which due to there policies I had to buy the battery and back on my own,boo, which sucke4d since I was already trading new for refurbished.. Why because I bought it during the Amazon penny sale(Black Friday) and They would only allow me to return it for the same which I had done once already. Here's the thing with refurbed units...for the most I find them better than new ones as they have been taken care of better than phones that are mass produced and boxed. I have yet to buy a new phone that hasn't had to be exchanged and I buy ALOT of phones. So the moral of the story is new vs refurbished is really just in your head. I love my G-Nex and it was COMPLETELY FLAWLESS in every aspect. Verizon can also trace the unit to tell you if anyone ever owned it or if it wa s an open-box type deal. I hope this helps you out, Good Luck and remeber to always Live It, Love It, Android-Life.........Droooooooiiiiid!
I am not saying that the CLN aren't good, but there are some quality control issues. More often than not, the refurbs have been better performing than the new ones. I just feel they need to deal with the ones that are no fault found differently.

·
2,243 Posts
From my experience the screen is different. Not too much, but you'll notice it immediately switching over. I kind of like it.

I will have a video of the comparison of the two up on AndroidSPIN.com In the coming days.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
That is strange... What about the people that unlocked on 4.0.1 and were showing HW8? And then after updating to 4.0.2 OTA they changed to HW9? If the screen were physically different, then I don't think that version would change when updating the OS... Mine started as HW8 and when I took the OTA and unlocked it was then HW9.

There is, however a lot of inconsistency in the AMOLED panels. I have looked at numerous different ones and they all vary slightly, even in color tint and the banding or the linen effect.

In your test, how many different HW9 and HW10 examples are you using?

·
2,243 Posts
Did you go through Verizon or Asurion? I filed a claim with Asurion and they overnighted me a brand new one.
Asurion must not have had enough refurbs yet. Plus with Asurion you are paying a deductible and there is no guarantee it will be new.

·
2,243 Posts
Chances are they are all new unit since they are so new. If you dial *#*#786#*#* you can verify if it is a refurb, clnr or new. give her a go :)

FYI, i saw that code in another forum and it works for me :)
I wouldn't make that speculation since it has already been stated by multiple posters in the thread that they have received damaged devices which are quite obviously not new. That may have been true in the first few weeks, but 2 months later, not so much.

Asurion is a different story, as they will receive less replacement requests since it is damage claims and loss. They also have less of a stock of refurbs as they haven't taken in as many phones as Verizon for warranty claims nor are there enough surplus refurbs coming from Samsung for them to buy yet.

·
2,243 Posts
I've gotten multiple "like new" Gnex from verizon they all had constant 4g/3g drops and a purple tint on the screen. I ended up just sending them back and am now waiting for the supposed update to fix the constant 4g drops on my first phone.
Strangely enough, the two devices (of 4) that I got from Verizon that were having the constant network drops were both brand new. Once I finally got a good one it was actually refurbished and has been the best device so far. I guess the refurbished one got better quality control compared to the new ones, at least in my case.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts