Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Android Beginner
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspired by this thread the other day:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1393701

Most Android tablets have 16:10 aspect ratios, but the Touchpad has a 4:3 ratio. Our screen is much more square than our widescreen brothers. There are a handful of games/apps that scale resolution well, but don't scale aspect well... things off the edge of the screen, or things smashed together and overlapping.

This mod was for CM7 Alpha 3.5 I decompiled and looked into the modded APKs and there were only very minor changes to a few files. (I don't have specifics at the moment, as I have it all on my home PC, I can update this later with what I have so far)

I made the modifications to the files in CM9, but apparently I don't know how to recompile an APK correctly, and crashed my touchpad, and couldn't boot until I put the old files back.

I feel if I could get the APK files recompiled correctly, it would work...

Ideally though, it would be nice if someone that has a better understanding of this than I do is able to take this idea and run with it... it would be nice to have a toggle back and forth, so you only really bother turning it on for the handful of games/apps that have rendering issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the mod your talking about just makes the status bar thicker to obscure some of the screen. This isn't going to work on cm9 because the status bar doesn't work in the same way. Anyways I honestly haven't had any issues with the aspect ratio since cm9, most games work fine.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm quite happy with my 4.3 but I do know some apps assume that 600 is what we all should have

So... here it goes, another quick "hack"

Same as the hide_bar, this only changes the android.policy.jar file
Included in the "flashable" zip is the .jar and a ultra simple tool to change the screen from 768 to 600 and back again.

Couple of pics to illustrate it 8) (you know, a picture is worth x billions trillions of words
)

And one from a "badly written" app like Online, notice the black bar at the top while using the "correct" 1024x768

and now with the 1024x600 "mode"

So far it has worked with everything I tried.
It will look "crap" in portrait mode, I always use the TP in landscape, so I don't care too much, but if you needed "really, really needed" ask

the zip:

http://www.zen24223....een_A2_0312.zip

BTW: do not complaint about the icon
!!!!

·
Android Beginner
32 Posts
I wonder if this mod would help me. The time magazine app in cm9 display is distorted. The letters are too short and wide. I guess its because of the touchpad's 3:4 aspect ratio.Does this mod work in portrait? The time app only works in portrait.

·
Registered
304 Posts

I only test this for landscape, reducing the size from 768 to 600, so it doesn't work too well in portrait
I guess I will need to do it for portrait too
I assume that Time magazine will expect a width of 600 rather than 768 and that cause the "distorted" fonts.

Will try to do it tomorrow

·
Registered
304 Posts
ok, updated to support portrait.

The times mobile looked fine to before, so not sure if it's the same app you refer to

same link as before (just updated the zip)

·
Android Beginner
32 Posts
Not time mobile app but time magazine tablet app. Its for people who but or have print subscriptions. Thank for updating for profile! Will try

·
Android Beginner
32 Posts
How do you install this hack? Sorry for the noob questions! Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome job! This is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I am having issues getting it working... I keep getting "systemui has stopped responding." I get no status bar in portrait or landscape. Portrait removes a section of the right and the bottom parts of the screen when I run the app. Landscape looks like it might be right, and but it's missing the statusbar, like I mentioned before...

Thank you for your awesome work. Let me know if you have any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using RootzWiki

·
Registered
304 Posts
Awesome job! This is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I am having issues getting it working... I keep getting "systemui has stopped responding." I get no status bar in portrait or landscape. Portrait removes a section of the right and the bottom parts of the screen when I run the app. Landscape looks like it might be right, and but it's missing the statusbar, like I mentioned before...

Thank you for your awesome work. Let me know if you have any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong.

If you are getting a FC in SystemUI it's more likely that the problem is a mismatch between versions.
The android.policy.jar was build with the code as yesterday, which I think is not quite "compatible" with A2, (only with latest nighly with HW and so on)

Which CM9 version are you running? Latest A2 or some nightly built?
(btw, the reason the status bar goes is because SystemUI has died, it shouldn't, it should keep running)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Installed zip in cwm but alas it doesn't seem to help. It just cuts off half the screen. Here is a picture of the distorted original
ummmm, that's strange, looking at your screencapture, the interface (the Time's buttonbar) appears to be fine (new 600 width) but the picture itself is not. All my apps adjust the content size to the new resolution. Maybe that Time app does something special, shame is a paid one. Will like to try it.
Do you have any other one (free app) that behaves in the same way?

·
Android Beginner
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are getting a FC in SystemUI it's more likely that the problem is a mismatch between versions.
The android.policy.jar was build with the code as yesterday, which I think is not quite "compatible" with A2, (only with latest nighly with HW and so on)

Which CM9 version are you running? Latest A2 or some nightly built?
(btw, the reason the status bar goes is because SystemUI has died, it shouldn't, it should keep running)
That's what I was afraid of... I'm on alpha 2, haven't switched to nightlies yet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's what I was afraid of... I'm on alpha 2, haven't switched to nightlies yet.

I wouldn't mind to put the changes on the base A2, but I'm not sure how to identify the exact time in the code to do it.
When you do a "repo sync" it will update your local copy of the source, and it's not easy to go back, which means I can't do an build for A2.

Will have a look and report back :)

·
Android Beginner
32 Posts
Sorry this is the only application that is behaving this way!
I appreciate all your help

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry this is the only application that is behaving this way!
I appreciate all your help

I will download it and have a look.
Maybe it will be easier to force the correct res in the app than try to find why it doesnt follow what other apps do :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was hoping that the main menu from the Time tablet version would show the problem, but it doesnt'
It looks fine here

Can you check if you get the same on the main page?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Somehow, I thought if anyone could do this, it would be Dubi so thanks much!

I am having issues getting it working... I keep getting "systemui has stopped responding." I get no status bar in portrait or landscape. Portrait removes a section of the right and the bottom parts of the screen when I run the app. Landscape looks like it might be right, and but it's missing the statusbar, like I mentioned before...
When you copied the new systemui over you changed the permissions too, right? If not, you need to do that. They should be the same as the permissions on all the other files in that directory so rw-r--r--

Also check the date and file size and make sure it matches the file Dubi put up for download just to make sure the file copied over correctly.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts