Android OS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I rooted my phone successfully. Read that ROM manager was a good app to download. During lunch today I was messing with ROM manager and saw a Google ROM. I ran it and the phone rebooted. After it rebooted, all of my contacts, gmail, google maps, etc were gone. After I did a reboot it deleted all of my apps except a select few. After I installed the ROM I was also unable to access the market place, which is why I hit factory reset. After factory reset the phone should ask me if I have a Google account, but it didn't. It just takes me to my main screen with the little android guy telling me how to operate my phone. Does anyone have any suggestions? or is my phone a nice paper weight now?

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Your phone will be ok. I'd suggest not using rom manager to flash roms and do it in recovery instead. If you made a nandriod (back up) restore to that through recovery. If you didn't, you'll still be fine, but you'll need a person with more troubleshooting experience than me

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reset it a thousand times, it won't go back to the normal factory data. Getting very frustrated.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Download new rom to computer, connect, get to recovery, mount sdcard, copy rom somewhere on sdcard, unmount, flash rom and enjoy

You didn't / can't brick the d1

EDIT: you could compile your own kernel with overclocking beyond the scope of your processor... but short of that. I don't think you CAN brick the D1

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
xtasy12 said:
Last night I rooted my phone successfully. Read that ROM manager was a good app to download. During lunch today I was messing with ROM manager and saw a Google ROM. I ran it and the phone rebooted. After it rebooted, all of my contacts, gmail, google maps, etc were gone. After I did a reboot it deleted all of my apps except a select few. After I installed the ROM I was also unable to access the market place, which is why I hit factory reset. After factory reset the phone should ask me if I have a Google account, but it didn't. It just takes me to my main screen with the little android guy telling me how to operate my phone. Does anyone have any suggestions? or is my phone a nice paper weight now?
When you say google rom? The only "google rom" is aosp

Maybe you saw google apps but that wouldn't bork your rom

What did you flash?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just remember browsing the list of apps, saw something of google, reviews said it was good, downloaded, ran it, screwed up phone.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
OK first and foremost I didnt see you mention it so I am asking. But do you have a Droid 1? I know youre in that section but I just want to verify that. And at this point you can get into your phone you just dont have all of the apps you need such as the marketplace etc?

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I do have a Droid 1, and at this point after I "restored" it, I do not have anything of google on my phone. No gmail, maps, all that good stuff :(

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
To me it sounds like you installed a ROM that required a seperate file to be flashed containing those apps. It is often referred to as a "GAPPS" package, which stands for google apps. I cant be certain of that not knowing which ROM it was to begin with.

Are you still able to get into your custom recovery, which I am assuming is Clockwork Mod since you mentioned ROM manager? What JBirdVegas was describing to you was to actually download a new ROM onto your computer, then while in Clockwork you could mount your SD card and actually move the ROM from your PC to your SD card. This way you could skip downloading it to your phone directly and you could then proceed to flash a ROM that either doesnt need the seperate GAPPS flash or just a ROM that does and then make sure this time you do flash it so you have the apps.

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah JSM, today during work I was able to find a site that had some type of market place on it and I was able to re-download ROM Manager. I downloaded the gmail app, but when I tap it, it open and closes immediately. So from here I am to find a ROM that will put everything back together?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Yeah I would recommend downloading and flashing a new ROM. Without knowing what you downloaded from ROM Manager the first time its difficult for me to try and help you at this point. I havent had a D1 in a while so recommeding a ROM is a little tough since I havent really experienced them. But if you go into the D1 developer section on this site there are a number of really good ROMs to chose from. Project Elite was always real good and I always ran Liquid Gingerbread, in fact I still do on my DX.

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I downloaded Google Apps - Add-on for AOSP ROMs, such as CM. Guess that would've helped earlier lol

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also can i get a quick run down on how where and how to run a ROM from my sd card? I use ROM manager right and find it in a folder?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
It may have been depending on rom for sure.

And yes you can navigate there with rom manager. Just put the rom in a place where you know it is. Select install rom and go to the file. Select the wipe options and you should be good.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am just not understanding this, I hit the zip file on my sd card, hit the wipe options, it just restarts and gives me the yellow !!! mark, I hit the camera and up volume button like I would do a hard reset, but that's all it does is restart the phone. Want to throw this damn thing

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
"xtasy12 said:
I am just not understanding this, I hit the zip file on my sd card, hit the wipe options, it just restarts and gives me the yellow !!! mark, I hit the camera and up volume button like I would do a hard reset, but that's all it does is restart the phone. Want to throw this damn thing
Could be wrong but doesn't sound to me like you have clockwork recovery installed...

Rom manager only works with clockwork mod recovery, the 1st option in rom manager should show current recovery & latest available clockwork mod recovery which you can flash by clicking the option.

Another problem might be if you put a space in the name of your folder with the rom you won't be able to install from rom manager...say you named it "new rom" change it to "newrom" and it should work with rom manager.

Other than that my only other guess is you have a bad download.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Yeah I would agree with corcor, it sounds like you are describing stock recovery and not CWM.

And sorry I didnt answer you last night, wasnt online at all and was busy with family night.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
it get ClockworkMod to replace your stock recovery (if you are rooted with the Superuser.apk in the app drawer) load up Rom Manager and the very top option is Flash ClockworkMod Recovery; approve the su privileges then flash your new rom.

EDIT sorry I didn't see your post saying the same thing :-/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts