Android OS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I've had a few lingering issues that I can't seem to resolve. I run AOKP, but at this point, I may go completely back to stock to see if the issues resolve.

- The main issue is the random freezes on boot. It is really random, but definitely has gotten worse over the past few months. Basically, the phone freezes at the first boot screen about 60-75% of the times I reboot. I've had to pull the battery sometimes once (if I'm lucky), and sometimes 3-4x, just to get it to boot past the Samsung screen. This is compounded by the second issue I'm having:

- Loss of data. Actually, more specifically, it is data not coming back when I leave a no-signal area. I live in a no-signal area and depend on a VZW home tower. I don't get a solid signal until about 2 miles out from my house, just after I leave the neighborhood. After I clear the area, I get a strong cell signal, but data never becomes available. Toggling mobile data or cycling airplane mode does not resolve it. I have to reboot, which can bring me to the stuck boot screen, where I'm pulling my battery to get back up and running (often when I'm driving... which really sucks).

This weekend, I wiped the phone as fully as I could. I don't believe I restored it completely to stock, as the phone still showed the unlocked icon when booting. I did, however, restore the phone to the stock MDK ROM, re-rooted, reinstalled TWRP (through GooManager), and reinstall the 11/14 AOKP ROM. It did not seem to help.

Shortly after wiping the phone, I was 99% sure I had figured out the boot issue. For some reason, I got the idea to pop out my sdcard while it was stuck at the boot screen. As soon as I popped the card out, it moved past the Samsung screen and changed to the Google "X". The card was a SanDisk Ultra 32GB, which some people have had dismounting issues with, so I thought I hit the jackpot. I tested it several times, and as soon as I popped the card out, it would start booting each time.

I was excited when I hit the road this morning. Unfortunately, the data bugged hit me as soon as I got out of the neighborhood. As before, I had to reboot to get it back. That is when it stuck on boot again. I did not have an sdcard in, though. It took for cycles of pulling the battery before I finally booted up.

I'm stuck. I really don't know what else to do. I've tried every ROM/radio/kernel combination out there, except for bone stock. I used a combination of different guides to get as close to stock as I could, but I still didn't get there. I'm sure I missed something, but I'm not sure what. The steps I took to restore are below.

Is there a PIT file I can use to repartition the phone? I know that is frowned upon unless the phone is completely bricked, but I don't know what else to try. Just from experience, I'd doubt it's a hardware issue... but who knows:

Steps I took to "restore" phone:

- Flashed SCH-I545_MDK_562219_Stock_Restore.tar.md5 in Odin

- Rebooted, then went back to Odin to install MD2 kernel

- Booted into stock ROM, enabled dev options, USB debugging, etc...

- Rooted, rebooted, installed GooManager

- Installed TWRP through GooManager

- Installed 11/14 AOKP, gapps, faux 0123m, and MJ7 radio

·
Registered
114 Posts
popping out the card while the phone is running is probably not a good idea.

I have experienced the same problem, used different recoveries (doubt it is that). Might be some flakiness in the bootloader.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
popping out the card while the phone is running is probably not a good idea.

I have experienced the same problem, used different recoveries (doubt it is that). Might be some flakiness in the bootloader.
It was a troubleshooting measure only, and it was during intial boot. I doubt it does any harm, but hopefully it provides some insight as to what is happening when the boot process freezes.

Are you just getting the boot freezes, or are you also having the data issue? For the boots, have you tried restoring completely to stock? If so, did it help?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kernel are you running?

I have not tried KitKat yet, and am using TWRP (vs CWM), so looking at just the overlap, and the things we've ruled out by changing ROMs, radios, kernels, etc.... I'm guessing it is either a hardware problem we are both having, or something to do with the bootloader. I'm guessing it's not the latter, otherwise, there would be many more than us having the problem.

I'm not sure what it could be. I just know that it started happening with the first 4.3 ROM I flashed. I don't remember when that was, but it pretty clearly started then. It was a nightly... quite possibly the first nightly after the last AOKP 4.2.2 ROM.

I did not have the issue with 4.2.2 ROMs. Maybe I should try that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
....another data point I forgot to mention, I don't seem to have the issue booting in/out of recovery. I can't say that with 100% certainty, but I can't recall a single time having a hard time with either rebooting from the ROM into recovery, or from recovery into the ROM. I'll try that a few times after work and post my results.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
329 Posts
Have either of you tried a touchwiz rom? That solved the boot hang/freeze issue for me, so I wrote it off as that. I understand most people think touchwiz is gross, but worth a shot in the name of science

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RootzWiki mobile app

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am not experiencing the data drop issues, but am having the problem with the hangs on boot.

FWIW, a great dev, invisiblek (twitter: @invisiblek) is aware of this and has a debugging hardware setup to try to debug it, but hasn't been able to reproduce it I guess when attached to the necessary debugging equipment.

What I'd urge is to see if there is ANY correlation to what you were doing before the reboot or when it is rebooted. E.g. last time it happened to me (and it took 5+ battery pulls to get it to boot), I was in the camera app and accidentally force killed the camera app. Noticed about 3 hours later that there was a camera wakelock so I rebooted the phone and that's when it did it.

So anyone experiencing the problem, please post:

- what you were doing when it happened or leading up to it

- how many battery pulls it took

FWIW, I haven't had an external SD card in my phone since it ate two of my SD cards, and I've been having the reboot issue as well, so if anything that may just help a bit in some cases, but it definitely still does it even without an extSD card.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have either of you tried a touchwiz rom? That solved the boot hang/freeze issue for me, so I wrote it off as that. I understand most people think touchwiz is gross, but worth a shot in the name of science

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RootzWiki mobile app
I haven't, but that is definitely the next thing I'll try... in the name of science, haha. I really hope it is not an AOKP-thing, as I really haven't been able to tolerate many other ROMs. The exception was the Eclipse ROM on the Galaxy Nexus. I believe his are AOSP/AOKP-based, though.

Oh, and you're right... TouchWiz is dirty. XD

At this point, I'm not even sure how long it would take me to figure it all out again. My wife prefers TW on her S3, so I haven't messed with it, other than put TWRP, root, and a debloated stock ROM on. Everytime she needs something fixed on her phone, I stumble through the menus for 10 minutes trying to find stuff.

I am not experiencing the data drop issues, but am having the problem with the hangs on boot.

FWIW, a great dev, invisiblek (twitter: @invisiblek) is aware of this and has a debugging hardware setup to try to debug it, but hasn't been able to reproduce it I guess when attached to the necessary debugging equipment.

What I'd urge is to see if there is ANY correlation to what you were doing before the reboot or when it is rebooted. E.g. last time it happened to me (and it took 5+ battery pulls to get it to boot), I was in the camera app and accidentally force killed the camera app. Noticed about 3 hours later that there was a camera wakelock so I rebooted the phone and that's when it did it.

So anyone experiencing the problem, please post:

- what you were doing when it happened or leading up to it

- how many battery pulls it took

FWIW, I haven't had an external SD card in my phone since it ate two of my SD cards, and I've been having the reboot issue as well, so if anything that may just help a bit in some cases, but it definitely still does it even without an extSD card.
I really can't figure out the data drop thing. Unlike the sdcard thing (which kickstarts the boot process... every time), I can't find anything to trigger it besides leaving the no-signal area around my house. For all I know, it could be something that only happens when you leave a home-cell-tower network on wifi to a regular 3G/4G tower-based (their is a strong 4G signal right outside our hood). I do have the data drops occasionally elsewhere, though. Usually, I'll be listening to Pandora or Google Music at work, and the next song won't start. It's either the bluetooth disconnecting (which is a warning that the music is going to start blasting out of my phone speaker if I don't hit the pause button in 3.4 seconds or less), or it is the data going out. If the data goes out, it will not come back without a reboot, and it always requires a battery pull.

I would say the majority of boot freezes for me have something to do with data loss. I don't really have any other issues with the phone (after boot) other than the data/bluetooth drops. When it happens, it is almost guaranteed to freeze on boot. Other times the reboot is because I'm messing around flashing stuff. In that case, it's about a 50/50 chance it'll freeze.

I'm curious... if you have an sdcard laying around, trying putting it in and let the phone format and such. Next boot freeze you have, try popping out the card and see if the phone boots. It is always the case with me, as it's happened about 5-6 times since I realized they were related yesterday. If anything, it would be an intersting data point to pass onto invisiblek.

·
Android Apprentice
68 Posts
See if there is an update to the twrp you're running. We had the issue on at twrp versions, but it was hit or miss on the versions that did it. The newer versions of twrp have it fixed. As for the data losses, I remember it being an issue in November, but it was fixed in newer nightlies. See if you can find a newer ROM, I would highly recommend it. Also make sure your modems are newer.
Hope it works out for you

·
Registered
326 Posts
See if there is an update to the twrp you're running. We had the issue on at twrp versions, but it was hit or miss on the versions that did it. The newer versions of twrp have it fixed. As for the data losses, I remember it being an issue in November, but it was fixed in newer nightlies. See if you can find a newer ROM, I would highly recommend it. Also make sure your modems are newer.
Hope it works out for you
Why would the recovery matter for a normal cold system boot?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So happy to see this fixed.

The data drops were already fixed at some point. I can't remember which one it was, but once the data drops and bluetooth stack freezes were resolved, my need to reboot 2-3 times a day went away. On top of that, the boot hangs seemed to get better. They weren't fully resolved, but it seems to boot without popping

out the sdcard 75% of the time.

Still, I'm excited to see this fixed. Very good on the devs. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts