Android OS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Android Addict
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been looking all over the internet for a basic guide to ROM porting, I found one on rootzwiki for HTC sense ports, would the same guide lines apply to porting any other ROM?

Cheers in advance :)

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Would depend on the type of rom and how similar the phone that its made for is with the phone your porting it to is. For instance, to port things from the dx to the d2/g you just have to replace sensors, ril, build.prop and it will work (not everything will but pretty close). I would imagine porting say an aosp rom from a DINC to say a d2 would be alot more work though. Going to be a rom by rom basis for the most part.

·
Android Addict
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"x13thangelx said:
Would depend on the type of rom and how similar the phone that its made for is with the phone your porting it to is. For instance, to port things from the dx to the d2/g you just have to replace sensors, ril, build.prop and it will work (not everything will but pretty close). I would imagine porting say an aosp rom from a DINC to say a d2 would be alot more work though. Going to be a rom by rom basis for the most part.
It'd be for my HTC wildfire, Rom would probably be to start with cyanogenmod from another device, then probably build up to something more complex

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
"AndyFox2011 said:
It'd be for my HTC wildfire, Rom would probably be to start with cyanogenmod from another device, then probably build up to something more complex
If it's a cyanogen base, usually you can build from source (same with aosp). Having said that, it's already officially supported in Cyanogenmod, and has nighties too http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=buzz (buzz is the codename for the wildfire, as is crespo for Nexus S or passion for the N1)

Sent from my Nexus S using RootzWiki Forums

·
Android Addict
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Jonathon Grigg said:
If it's a cyanogen base, usually you can build from source (same with aosp). Having said that, it's already officially supported in Cyanogenmod, and has nighties too http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=buzz (buzz is the codename for the wildfire, as is crespo for Nexus S or passion for the N1)

I know it has official cm and nightlys, it was just an idea for something to get me started before I try more advanced stuff

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
"AndyFox2011 said:
I know it has official cm and nightlys, it was just an idea for something to get me started before I try more advanced stuff
I'd download the CM source then, compile it, muck around and see how it works. Also make sure you read absolutely everything you can find online, even for other but similar devices as the concepts are probably the same. This way you can learn and then like you said get more advanced.

·
Android Addict
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Jonathon Grigg said:
I'd download the CM source then, compile it, muck around and see how it works. Also make sure you read absolutely everything you can find online, even for other but similar devices as the concepts are probably the same. This way you can learn and then like you said get more advanced.

Cheers, I'll do that

·
Android Apprentice
28 Posts
I too haven't found too much in Rom porting. Too bad there isn't much material. I know Linux well .

·
Android Addict
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"hightech said:
I too haven't found too much in Rom porting. Too bad there isn't much material. I know Linux well .
I'm the same, I know Linux well but I could not find anything about it, even when people have asked they've not been answered!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I wrote a how to on rom porting for a new website which will be launched soon. If you're interested in finding out about it then just google "free your android"

·
Android Addict
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JieeHD said:
I wrote a how to on rom porting for a new website which will be launched soon. If you're interested in finding out about it then just google "free your android"
Ah cool, I'll have a look tonight :)

Sent by fire!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts