Android OS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Android Lover
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why won't the previous unroot method work? Something with the hboot drivers that are installed or is it because of the security flag being permanently removed.

·
Average Android
60 Posts
Revolutionary installs a protected S-OFF bootloader that prevents a PG05IMG file (or RUU) from updating the bootloader. It bypasses it.

This is a good thing if you are rooted, because it makes it very difficult to accidentally unroot. Stock root should even be able to accept an OTA without losing S-OFF.

However, if you want to unroot, you need to take an extra step of flashing a different bootloader via Fastboot. This is a bit dangerous if you don't flash the right thing. If you don't need to do this today, wait for the guide. If you do need to do this today, read the PM that I sent you.

Sent courtesy of SID 6.7 and Tapatalk

·
Average Android
60 Posts
Also... it's worth pointing out that Revolutionary is still a dev preview. I imagine the final release will include an S-ON tool (or something similar) to assist with unrooting.

Sent courtesy of SID 6.7 and Tapatalk

·
Incognito
1,164 Posts
Just talked to the guys on #revolutionary , no way to bring back S-On ATM , but if you brick your phone verizon won't know it had a S-Off bootloader.

·
Supporting Member
127 Posts
"masri1987 said:
Just talked to the guys on #revolutionary , no way to bring back S-On ATM , but if you brick your phone verizon won't know it had a S-Off bootloader.
The retail Rep might not, but they have a new policy of having techs at the warehouse review it

Chance it, and you might get slapped with a $500 equipment charge.

·
Supporting Member
45 Posts
I have the process done on my phone without issue, I believe anyone looking to get back to S-On would be to manually flash proper hboot via adb/fastboot manual process, but first must get the Rom back to official before performing this process. Correct me if I'm wrong....I'm not a dev, but from what I have read I believe this process to be true

1 - 17 of 17 Posts