Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of an improvement can we expect from development on the Nexus? I love having a huge screen, NFC, a notification light, and Android, but I'm a little disappointed in overall performance. I'm coming from a Fascinate, and while the Nexus is better in every way, it just isn't that much faster or smoother. Can anyone with a Nexus S tell me what performance enhancements they saw over the past year in Gingerbread?

I'm on Axiom 2.1, and I tried Android Revolution before this. Both have given the best android experience I have had to date. But even then, it's just choppy in very particular places. The "lag" is not really there anymore, it is now this ever-present "stutter" that plagues android. Dropping below 60fps just ruins the appearance of fluidity and beauty in ICS.

For anyone who denies the existence of this stutter and proclaims the Nexus to be perfection itself, you are wrong. It stutters while scrolling in Gmail and in Messaging, pretty noticeably. The app drawer stutters all over, especially in the widget section. The worst of it it the app-switcher button and the home button. Hitting the Home button almost always causes the screen to stutter. Am I crazy that this bothers me as much as it does?

I am just curious as to how much better the Nexus can get over time. The CPU and GPU have already been overclocked substantially, but the heart of the problem is the underlying software. Can all of this stutter be ironed out or is it a given until Google does something more drastic? Can CM9 bring a smooth Home button and app drawer? Sometimes I question if custom roms do anything except add features. I don't care how quickly the Nexus can open an application, if it doesn't do it without stutter then it doesn't really matter, because it will feel slower then a 4S.

I just got the Nexus and I love it, but I am within the return window and I am really torn over the screen and features of Android versus the perfect execution of the 4S. Features vs fluidity, I'm torn.

267 Posts
I agree -- but I do think that it will get better. ICS is still in its infancy. I'd also try MIUI -- it tends to be way smoother than other ROMs.

·
Android Apprentice
111 Posts
All im going to say is, if you think that by getting a 4s you're going to say goodbye to "stutters". you are mistaken.

My girlfriend has a 4, her sister a 4s. The stutters exist still, maps still load slowly, GPS lock isnt always great.

·
Android or Die
290 Posts
Your first problem is you're running a ROM. Seeing how this phone just came out, these ROMs will not allow your phone to run at optimum speeds. No matter what the creator claims. Its just the way of life with Android development in the beginning. It will get better.

2nd problem could be, and I emphasize COULD, is that your expectations were a little too high. I'll just leave it at that because my intentions are not to infuriate anyone.

Personally the only "lag" I've noticed is when pressing the switch app soft key. It does hiccup a little. Other than that, I don't notice any lag. But again, that's just me. I will say though that the scrolling speed could be a little faster/smoother however I would not call that lag or say its a major complaint. Coming from the TBolt I had legitimate complaints, none here.

And this isn't to say you are complaining. I understand how minor nuisances can get to people. I just recommend giving it sometime. You said for the most part you love the phone, so that's a good thing. =)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Phone Reviewer
35 Posts
How much of an improvement can we expect from development on the Nexus? I love having a huge screen, NFC, a notification light, and Android, but I'm a little disappointed in overall performance. I'm coming from a Fascinate, and while the Nexus is better in every way, it just isn't that much faster or smoother. Can anyone with a Nexus S tell me what performance enhancements they saw over the past year in Gingerbread?

I'm on Axiom 2.1, and I tried Android Revolution before this. Both have given the best android experience I have had to date. But even then, it's just choppy in very particular places. The "lag" is not really there anymore, it is now this ever-present "stutter" that plagues android. Dropping below 60fps just ruins the appearance of fluidity and beauty in ICS.

For anyone who denies the existence of this stutter and proclaims the Nexus to be perfection itself, you are wrong. It stutters while scrolling in Gmail and in Messaging, pretty noticeably. The app drawer stutters all over, especially in the widget section. The worst of it it the app-switcher button and the home button. Hitting the Home button almost always causes the screen to stutter. Am I crazy that this bothers me as much as it does?

I am just curious as to how much better the Nexus can get over time. The CPU and GPU have already been overclocked substantially, but the heart of the problem is the underlying software. Can all of this stutter be ironed out or is it a given until Google does something more drastic? Can CM9 bring a smooth Home button and app drawer? Sometimes I question if custom roms do anything except add features. I don't care how quickly the Nexus can open an application, if it doesn't do it without stutter then it doesn't really matter, because it will feel slower then a 4S.

I just got the Nexus and I love it, but I am within the return window and I am really torn over the screen and features of Android versus the perfect execution of the 4S. Features vs fluidity, I'm torn.
I have an iPhone 4s (among others, I get phones free from work and have several dozen working "primo" devices (I'm a product journalist and write reviews on them)). My favorite phone right now is the Galaxy Nexus, all the ROM love is what it is about for me. I run Zygot3 2.0 and have no issue with the lag you are describing. I'm clocked at 1.35GHz. I can say that the iPhone 4s is without a doubt a huge disappointment on several fronts and the only reason I even kept it was the hope that one day I can get root and do some nifty cydia things with it. (That and it's handy to have for my car stereo as it has the bluetooth music play so when I get in the car my playlist just starts going).

If you are thinking you are going to be free from lag on it I can't say how disappointed you will be. It's buggy, I've had to get 3 different phones (mic issues, volume button wore out in two weeks and now I'm on my third device). It's 3G speed blows chunks, and without root I'm a slave to whatever apple wants me to do with the UI/themes/tweaks etc...

Also you will have no flash, which sucks and Siri is down quite regularly (the servers go down) and when they do it is useless and won't do anything for you. I actually need to update my review because I was in the novelty stage when I wrote it and now a few months after the fact that has worn off.

Reactions: moojr

·
Registered
141 Posts
But is the lag issue really big enough to turn you away from the nexus? I mean I can understand if it isnt what you had hoped it to be but as far as the advancements they have JUST started bringing things to the table.

I personally love the dev community and their work with this phone. It might just be that I came from the droid 1 to this phone...and I will tell you it was worth the months of waiting.

267 Posts
The scroll lag I've been seeing and that I think he's referring to is when you scroll slowly. It jumps a bit during the scrolling whereas iOS devices don't really do that. This doesn't bother me at all because I usually don't scroll slowly so it's fluid to me

·
Registered
193 Posts
Your first problem is you're running a ROM. Seeing how this phone just came out, these ROMs will not allow your phone to run at optimum speeds. No matter what the creator claims. Its just the way of life with Android development in the beginning. It will get better.

2nd problem could be, and I emphasize COULD, is that your expectations were a little too high. I'll just leave it at that because my intentions are not to infuriate anyone.

Personally the only "lag" I've noticed is when pressing the switch app soft key. It does hiccup a little. Other than that, I don't notice any lag. But again, that's just me. I will say though that the scrolling speed could be a little faster/smoother however I would not call that lag or say its a major complaint. Coming from the TBolt I had legitimate complaints, none here.

And this isn't to say you are complaining. I understand how minor nuisances can get to people. I just recommend giving it sometime. You said for the most part you love the phone, so that's a good thing. =)

Are you implying that the roms out now are slowing the phone down causing his lag?

Lol that's absurd I would sure love to know where u are getting that idea

·
Android Apprentice
76 Posts
There are many inaccuracies in this article but there is a plethora of info and food for thought. https://plus.google.com/100838276097451809262/posts/VDkV9XaJRGS

Read this as well as the linked articles for some insight into your perceived lag problem.

In regard to what the op is upset about, I have always been displeased with the way that the homescreen doesn't track your finger movement in what seems like real time like ios does.

·
Android Wannabe Developer
53 Posts
"The CPU and GPU have already been overclocked substantially"

Actually, the CPU and GPU have been UNDERCLOCKED substantially from 1.5GHz to 1.2GHz for CPU and 384MHz to 308MHz for the GPU. You should see 20-30% speed increases once custom kernels are released that actually allow the OMAP 4460 to run at it's native frequency. Actual overclocking could possibly get us to 2-2.2GHz.

·
War Damn Eagle
35 Posts
I have an iPhone 4s (among others, I get phones free from work and have several dozen working "primo" devices (I'm a product journalist and write reviews on them)). My favorite phone right now is the Galaxy Nexus, all the ROM love is what it is about for me. I run Zygot3 2.0 and have no issue with the lag you are describing. I'm clocked at 1.35GHz. I can say that the iPhone 4s is without a doubt a huge disappointment on several fronts and the only reason I even kept it was the hope that one day I can get root and do some nifty cydia things with it. (That and it's handy to have for my car stereo as it has the bluetooth music play so when I get in the car my playlist just starts going).
You do know you can do that on the Galaxy Nexus right? I have mine hooked up via bluetooth and although I am completely done with all Apple products, I managed to move my entire Itunes collection over to Media Monkey and do my syncs that way. With Google Music, I now can stream my media so no need to really have a personal collection outside of just having it to have it. As if I really have time to listen to over 200,000 MP3's! :)

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"The CPU and GPU have already been overclocked substantially"

Actually, the CPU and GPU have been UNDERCLOCKED substantially from 1.5GHz to 1.2GHz for CPU and 384MHz to 308MHz for the GPU. You should see 20-30% speed increases once custom kernels are released that actually allow the OMAP 4460 to run at it's native frequency. Actual overclocking could possibly get us to 2-2.2GHz.
That makes sense. I (probably along with everyone else) am waiting for CM9 and some screen tuning from Supercurio to truly bring out the potential of this phone. As it stands though, the stutter on the basic homescreen/app drawer is really annoying.

What about other gifts from Google? Do you think Majel will make an appearance on here? How about a true iMessage competitor (+ messenger does not count..) that exists across all android phones?

Some of the coolest parts of the Nexus like Android Beam and NFC are fairly useless because you have to know someone who has a Nexus.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You mean gtalk?
Yea I think he dismissed that too I however think gtalk is great but they should really make improvements to it like sending pics as opposed to having to Gmail it or being able to view friends icons bigger I think with small improvements like that it can be much better

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

·
Android Beginner
160 Posts
I think the Gnex can get a whole lot better, and that's what makes it the best phone. And that's not to say that it's not already a great device. It's not held back by a locked bootloader, it's got a whole army of developers behind it, and it'll be the first phone with any and all new features of android...combine that with great hardware, great network, a very sexy design, and ICS and you've got a home run

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I think he dismissed that too I however think gtalk is great but they should really make improvements to it like sending pics as opposed to having to Gmail it or being able to view friends icons bigger I think with small improvements like that it can be much better

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Is Talk integrated into the Messaging app? Does it automatically use it when texting someone? I didn't even think about it, I had assumed it wasn't so integrated. I got bombarded with an iMessage group conversation the other day and it was annoying. It's been said before, but Messenger, Talk, and Messaging should all be one integrated service.

·
Android Beginner
656 Posts
The phone has been out, what, two weeks? It easily has the most dev support i've seen on any phone i've owned in the first two weeks of release. Give it time. One of the major selling points for me is the potential.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Im going to respond to the thread title, not your post. Honestly this is one of the whackest most faithless posts ive read in a while. Instead of asking how much better can the nexus how about you do something to improve it? If the nexus isn't a dev phone I'm not quite sure what is...better is subjective. But with that in mind my simplest answer would be is that it can get as better as you want it..

·
Registered
550 Posts
The phone has been out, what, two weeks? It easily has the most dev support i've seen on any phone i've owned in the first two weeks of release. Give it time. One of the major selling points for me is the potential.
I agree. Ics will be polished soon enough. Its a much better starting point than previous versions. Lag? I can't scroll or type fast enough to make it lag. Its all in the setup. Btw. Axiom 2.2 is by far the fastest yet.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts