Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Mr Click Click Derk
812 Posts
Where can I learn how to do this? I want to be able to change my navbar size by editing values/dimens.xml. I have no idea where to look to learn about compile
Here is a page to get you started, you'll need apktool: http://www.miui-au.com/add-ons/apktool/

You'll want the latest aapt.exe from the Android SDK, so if you don't have that, you'll want to download/install that too (Android SDK that is). The aapt.exe file that is in the Android SDK will need to be copied and pasted into your apktool directory, replacing the aapt.exe file that comes with apktool. Then you should be able to decompile/compile apk's as needed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I flashed a phone.apk that was in the system folder but not the app folder using the "blankflashable" zip. Did this get installed somewhere on my phone? I flashed it again in the correct folder, but was wondering if the first flash installed anything? Thanks

·
Kitten Punter
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I flashed a phone.apk that was in the system folder but not the app folder using the "blankflashable" zip. Did this get installed somewhere on my phone? I flashed it again in the correct folder, but was wondering if the first flash installed anything? Thanks
Just look in the system folder on your device and see if it did. Not sure if apks can be added to system or not.

·
Rootz lurker
76 Posts
can I use this tutorial to change my carrier logo with a custom carrier logo or is this for editing other images within the systemui? I don't want to edit any images just swap out my carrier logo with already downloaded custom carrier logos.

·
Supporting Member
1,870 Posts
can I use this tutorial to change my carrier logo with a custom carrier logo or is this for editing other images within the systemui? I don't want to edit any images just swap out my carrier logo with already downloaded custom carrier logos.
Not sure if you want a "logo", but I found this...hopefully it helps.

It's from THIS link

Change carrier label (both notification pulldown and lockscreen)
-decompile framework-res.apk and navigate to res>XML>eri.xml
-search for line starting with "64 Verizon Wireless"
-change the "Verizon Wireless" to anything you want, max 16 characters
-it must be 16 characters, so fill in missing characters with spaces on either side
--Example: " Galaxy Nexus " needs 2 spaces on either side to be correct
-save and recompile

·
Rootz lurker
76 Posts
Not sure if you want a "logo", but I found this...hopefully it helps.

It's from THIS link

Change carrier label (both notification pulldown and lockscreen)
-decompile framework-res.apk and navigate to res>XML>eri.xml
-search for line starting with "64 Verizon Wireless"
-change the "Verizon Wireless" to anything you want, max 16 characters
-it must be 16 characters, so fill in missing characters with spaces on either side
--Example: " Galaxy Nexus " needs 2 spaces on either side to be correct
-save and recompile
thanks but what I'm talking about is how these people have the custom carrier logos on the left side of the notification bar like this
(which I've obviously found a tutorial for but the tut. doesn't say what to use to decompile the apk with which is why I was wondering if I could use 7zip or needed to use something else) but thanks for trying to answer my question

HOW TO PUT CUSTOM CARRIER LOGO IN STATUSBAR

-Decompile your SystemUI.apk from whatever ROM your using
-Navigate to your decompiled folder and go to /res/layouts/status_bar.xml
-Look for the line of code that starts with this

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.StatusBarIconView​

-Place your cursor at the beginning of that line and press "ENTER" to create an empty line right above it
-In that empty line, copy/paste this line of code

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.CarrierLabel android:textAppearance="@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon" android:textColor="@android:color/transparent" android:background="@drawable/carrier_logo" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:eek:rientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" />

-Make sure everything "lines up" in your xml (no odd spacing or empty lines)
-Next, you need to select an image you want displayed in your statusbar. I usually stick to one no greater than 100 pixels wide and 45 pixels in height
-Whatever image you decide to use make sure it's in ".png" format and name it "carrier_logo" (with out the quotes)
-Place your carrier_logo.png in the /res/drawable-hdpi/ folder
-Now you can build your new SystemUI, if you used apktool to do all of this don't forget to sign your apk

Here's what mine looks like

·
Kitten Punter
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
thanks but what I'm talking about is how these people have the custom carrier logos on the left side of the notification bar like this
(which I've obviously found a tutorial for but the tut. doesn't say what to use to decompile the apk with which is why I was wondering if I could use 7zip or needed to use something else) but thanks for trying to answer my question

HOW TO PUT CUSTOM CARRIER LOGO IN STATUSBAR

-Decompile your SystemUI.apk from whatever ROM your using
-Navigate to your decompiled folder and go to /res/layouts/status_bar.xml
-Look for the line of code that starts with this

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.StatusBarIconView​

-Place your cursor at the beginning of that line and press "ENTER" to create an empty line right above it
-In that empty line, copy/paste this line of code

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.CarrierLabel android:textAppearance="@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon" android:textColor="@android:color/transparent" android:background="@drawable/carrier_logo" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:eek:rientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" />

-Make sure everything "lines up" in your xml (no odd spacing or empty lines)
-Next, you need to select an image you want displayed in your statusbar. I usually stick to one no greater than 100 pixels wide and 45 pixels in height
-Whatever image you decide to use make sure it's in ".png" format and name it "carrier_logo" (with out the quotes)
-Place your carrier_logo.png in the /res/drawable-hdpi/ folder
-Now you can build your new SystemUI, if you used apktool to do all of this don't forget to sign your apk

Here's what mine looks like

You would need to decompile the apk with apktools and make the xml edit.

·
Android Beginner
14 Posts
NatemZ thanks so much for this. Ive been wanting to learn to theme and this is the easiest way to start. I successfully change my battery icon with he flashable zip you provided. Question, if I wanted to change some things in AOKP, can i just edit the ROM Zip? Replace the system UI apk with he one i changed? Thanks again!

·
Supporting Member
1,870 Posts
NatemZ thanks so much for this. Ive been wanting to learn to theme and this is the easiest way to start. I successfully change my battery icon with he flashable zip you provided. Question, if I wanted to change some things in AOKP, can i just edit the ROM Zip? Replace the system UI apk with he one i changed? Thanks again!
If you've taken your current rom's SystemUI.apk and modified it to your liking, yes, you could push it back into the app folder.....Or (my preferred way), create your own flashable.zip, put it into the app folder and flash using CWR. That way, you could always revert back to the stock rom you were running by re-flashing the rom (without wiping data) and not lose your settings.

You can get the blank flashable.zip from the first thread in this post.

·
Android Beginner
14 Posts
If you've taken your current rom's SystemUI.apk and modified it to your liking, yes, you could push it back into the app folder.....Or (my preferred way), create your own flashable.zip, put it into the app folder and flash using CWR. That way, you could always revert back to the stock rom you were running by re-flashing the rom (without wiping data) and not lose your settings.

You can get the blank flashable.zip from the first thread in this post.
Thanks much! The only problem with flashing the blank zip is that if you already have a mod in place, ie custom soft keys via zipthemer, it puts those back to stock. This way if i just edit the ROM zip, i won't have to worry about that. I would flash the ROM first before making any changes and make a backup.

·
Supporting Member
1,870 Posts
Exactly right.....also, you can change the soft keys right in the SystemUI.apk if you like....Or, if you take your already themed/modded SystemUI.apk, mod it more, then put it into the blank.zip, you keep everything.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has anyone found a 7zip app for Mac which is NOT command line? I would appreciate any input. I recently took Windows off of my Mac and I really do not want to reinstall it.

Thank you

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Has anyone found a 7zip app for Mac which is NOT command line? I would appreciate any input. I recently took Windows off of my Mac and I really do not want to reinstall it.

Thank you
None that will work like 7zip I'm afraid. That why I've started building themed apk's from source. I also have W7 bootcamped tho.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you so much for this tutorial!

I am running into an issue, however, where my nav bar and status bar are not showing up after replacing the systemUI.apk and rebooting. I am just experimenting with changing the nav buttons from gray to red (using AXI0M ENGAGE v1 JBean). I am replacing the SystemUI.apk via root explorer. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: nevermind -- using the flashing method as opposed to replacing the file with root explorer worked. Thanks again!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.