Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
I made something similar to this once before, and while I am unsure if it was of any worth the detailed ramblings below are one of a limited number of ways I can "give back" to the charge community. I usually shy away from answering questions as I seem to lack the confidence needed to tell someone else what to do (although I have been trying to be a bit more helpful lately - emphasis on "trying" of course) - regardless I am much more of the sit-in-the-background-and-attempt-to-absorb-the-knowledge-of-those-around-me sort of guy then the this-is-what-you-should-do sort of guy (the ever present fear of sounding like an idiot I suppose, although this post still leaves me very open to such interpretations). As I am extremely deficient in actual programming knowledge, I figured an excessively detailed recap of preparing for and initiating the flashing of a custom ROM (the current focus here is GummyCharged FE 2.0, but if I end up making the move to GummyCharged GBE 2.1 focus will be added for that as well) was my next best bet at making a (non-monetary) contribution. The hope is that this will be detailed enough to be pseudo-noob friendly, but also informative enough to possibly help those that are a little more experienced with these sorts of things.
I originally posted this in the general Droid Charge forum, but I decided it would be better suited to go within the Team GummyCharged sub-forum. Also, it was a beast of a single post, so I decided to restructure things as the new structure will lend itself nicely to updating things once I try out GBE 2.1 now that it has been released - although I plan on holding off for a bit until all of the developmental dust settles. NOTE: This will likely read much better in a browser as opposed to a forum app (at least that is my experience).

THIS IS LIKELY NOT A LIGHT READ. THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN ABOUT THIS STUFF IS TO... WELL... LEARN ABOUT THIS STUFF - NOT JUST HAVE SOMEONE QUICKLY TELL YOU WHAT TO DO. READ READ READ... THEN READ MORE!

DISCLAIMERS -
  • I am in no way taking credit for any of the fine work that has been done by any of the original authors referenced (whether directly or indirectly) - what I am presenting here is nothing more than my particular amalgamation of absorbed how-to information.
  • Neither myself nor any author I reference is responsible for the always-possible (although hopefully improbable) consequence of attempting to make your phone behave as it should have originally - in other words follow these steps at your own risk! Another way to think about this - you better have a few backup plans ready in case things go screwy.
  • As I never stop learning, this approach I am about to outline may change (at least for me personally). I can say with certainty that this was my approach for the first week of September 2011 - but more efficient/appropriate methods will surely come along, and I will (hopefully) adapt. Who knows - maybe they already have and I just haven't adapted yet...
I decided to separate things out into separate posts - here is the "index" for what follows:I hope this new structure will make things a bit more digestible! Some of the steps I list may be a bit me-specific, but who knows - it may help someone out. And remember, this is just one of many possible paths to getting GC - I'm just a fan of the "clean slate" approach to things (but admittedly it is not necessary as many others can attest to).

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Quick summary of steps

For those not wanting to wade through all the details, here is my quick and dirty list of the general steps I took for my "clean slate" approach to GC:
  1. Initial prepping:
    1. Backup your contacts, apps, etc. - there are lots of ways, so pick one that works best for you. Also - make sure to back up your SD card!
    2. Make sure all files needed for this are on your SD card, and that your phone and computer are properly prepared (drivers, etc.).
  2. "Clean" prepping - get phone to stock EE4:
    1. Odin the CI510_VZW_EE4_ALL_ONE-LTE-CP_REV03_user_CL1014954.tar.md5 file (originally found here - note that you will need 7Zip/JZip to extract .tar.md5 files from any .7z files) under PDA and the charge.pit file (originally found here) under PIT.
      • Make sure the "repartition" box is checked (only done with PIT file).
      • Make sure the "auto-reboot" box is UNchecked (some recommend UNchecking F. Reset Time as well).
      • Make sure the battery is IN before flashing.
    2. OPTIONAL: Odin one of the following under PDA:
  3. Flash a custom ROM (i.e. GummyCharged FE 2.0):
    1. ODIN CWM (4.0.1.4) originally found here under PDA, but DO NOT RESTART PHONE YET!!
    2. Boot into CWM via the "three-finger salute" (vol up + home key + power).
    3. "Wipe" data/cache/dalvik.
    4. Install GummyChargedFE_2.0.zip found here.
    5. Reboot and verify all is well.
  4. Restore phone:
    • Restore apps by whatever means you prefer.
    • Customize phone by playing with TSM parts, playing with Gummy Toolbox, applying tweaks, updating kernel, updating modem, etc.
  5. "Finalize" phone:
    • Calibrate battery and update backups so you are prepared for the next great ROM!

This is my attempt at quick and dirty, but going light on details is not something I am very good at. That being said, hopefully this (in combination with the details in the following posts) will be helpful in getting those desiring a "clean slate" install to the end-goal of GC goodness! The "clean slate" approach is by no means the only route - for a general and succinct guide to flashing ROMs check out the how-to guides for ODIN and CWM at the bottom of this post. Any suggestions on additions/deletions/modifications to this summary list of steps are more than welcome!

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Before going too much further - there are a number of useful links that I reference throughout this, and it seems it would be well served to list them all here for ease-of-finding. I am unsure of the etiquette involved in listing sites from other forums - I mean no offense (if any is taken), this is simply a means of explicating exactly how my "path" came to fruition. It should also be noted that this list is a bit fluid, but they are nonetheless some of my current favorites -

LINKS:
  • ADB is really something you should learn about. There is a lot of information on ADB out there, but as a possible start you could check out here, here or here, as well as the guide here for more information.
  • Everyone needs a reset button right? Well ours currently can be found here, and it includes not only instructions but a link to a critical pit file (which can also be found here). I would also suggest using the EE4 stock file from this thread instead of the ED1 or ED2 files referenced in the first thread. Furthermore, this thread has a wealth of troubleshooting information if you find yourself in a jam - it's definitely a good one to read through!
  • Developers can only do so much when it comes to dealing with error reports - make it easier on them by reading this thread and learn how to get a logcat! In the context of GC FE2 - this means you will have to enable log from within the toolbox.
  • This whole post is focused on the Gummy Charged FE 2.0 (GC FE2) ROM, found here - read this thread!
  • For those just looking to change their modem, you can get the EP1Q modem here (or here), the EP1W modem here (or here), and the EE4 modem (if you want to switch back) here (or here). There is also an EP3HA modem available here (or here).
  • This thread contains the most up-to-date version of Clockwork Mod Recovery (CWM 4.0.1.4) that I am aware of.
  • While some of the information is out of date, this thread can offer some insight as to how to navigate CWM.
  • I was a huge fan of the ext4 formatter in my Fascinate days, and you can find one for the Charge here - although my most recent experience with it involving GC FE2 was not so great (but methinks it will remain useful in the future?).
  • There are two great options for kernels that I have tried - there is the one by imoseyon that is included in GC FE2 (updates can be found here), and the various kernels by imnuts (voodoo or novoodoo, or an overclockable voodoo).
  • If you are a better visual learner, check out this thread that contains a variety of links - some of which are YouTube video walkthroughs for things like installing GC FE2!
  • Although I did not have this issue when going through this particular process, there have been issues with SD Cards becoming read-only in EE4 - I believe it had something to do with using ED-based kernels on EE4 (not sure on that). If that happens, it's always a good idea to have the file found here (or here) on your SD Card BEFORE you start flashing custom kernels... just in case!
  • This thread and this thread have LOADS of links to just about anything you might be looking for - check them out!
  • This thread is also a great source, not only for links but for definitions to critical-to-know terms and some how-to directions involving ODIN and CWM.
  • For those that believe a task killer is something you need (and worry about how much RAM is available/being used, etc.) - read this to see why that is likely not the case (at least anymore).
It seemed like it might be useful to offer a list of links to other files (or threads the files can be found in) used in this guide -

MISCELLANEOUS FILES:
  • You can find the official Samsung drivers here, or you can find smaller (but seemingly funtional - I have not had a problem as of yet) variants of them either in one of the packages found here (thread could be useful for other things as well) or directly from here.
  • Various ODIN versions can be found in the same packages referenced above - for the Charge I have been using ODIN 1.83 which can be found here. Check out this post or this post for general info on how to use ODIN. Note that I do not have the exact same steps listed here as those that are in the previously mentioned threads, but those threads have a number of images that help the visual learners among us!
  • HashTab is a useful utility that lets you check md5 values for verifying the integrity of downloads (the 4.0 version I've been using can be found here).
  • A number of files are compressed for ease of up/downloading, so you will need a compression utility - most recommend 7-Zip (check here for download), although a similarly-based program called jZip (check out here for info) has worked for me as well - I have been using version 1.3 which can be found here.
While not an exhaustive list, below are some of the md5 values I got from the files I've obtained (these can vary depending on the file source - check with them first - but they still might be helpful to some). These files were downloaded from the original threads cited - any change in the file by the authors will result in a change in the md5 for newer downloads, so a mismatch is not an automatic indication of a bad download. This is almost more for my reference anyway
! Let me know if there are others I should add to the list, or if there are any discrepancies -

MD5s:
  • File: GummyChargedFE_2.0.zip
    Source: This thread or directly from here
    md5: 077588B550C018D103C8DD329A8AF9BC
  • File: CI510_VZW_EE4_ALL_ONE-LTE-CP_REV03_user_CL1014954.tar.md5.7z
    md5: B1FF17D01A9EAF2A85E928B7B340804F
  • File: charge.pit
    md5: 6CA97BDE646627B410AA6114CD5EA4E8
  • File: 0807_charge_novoodoo.zip and 0807_charge_voodoo.zip
    Source: This thread
    md5: 1E3B4F231FE55261B23CAD1BF500C3C3 and EF9CE0E6D1CDA409779ACC788E87C37D respectively
  • File: 0808_charge_overclock.zip
    md5: AB87211D36905FDE87C42A22A084E3F9
  • File: imoseyon_leanKernel_charge_voodoo_1.2.2.zip
    md5: FF0B7A4E952538E2ACA65CD5A1568D26
  • File: EE4_Radio.tar.md5.7z
    md5: 25CB21B34033BD9FDD8FDFB540F0C28C
  • File: EP1Q_Modems.tar(.md5.7z)
    md5: 8E7F6DA218FCA2487A999872DF31093A (or C4377610E589FDCED7F4AC28E1358C4F from direct link)
  • File: CI510_VZW_EP1W_Modems.tar.md5.7z
    md5: 8B4F25B11A2F6F9C979DEE8943C6F42A
  • File: EP3HAModem.tar.md5.7z
    md5: 4C6CBB918F47985DB835C741DEDEBA4B
  • File: 0817_charge_recovery.tar.md5
    md5: 681B53AEDC889285D3E18E9E23BD199D

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Step 1 - initial prepping - backing up stuff

1. Back up what you have -
    • Make a "clean" Nandroid Backup -
      NOTE: This method REQUIRES you to already have CWM (and the most up-to-date one where such processes seem to work better - 4.0.1.4 found here) - if you do not, please see STEP 3 - FLASHING A CUSTOM ROM (number 2) below for instructions on how to do so.
      • Boot into CWM in whatever way you deem appropriate.
      • Some recommend going into "mounts and storage" and make sure the word "unmount" is to the left of /cache, /data, /datadata, and /system.
        NOTE: I seriously doubt all 4 are necessary (and question whether this checking process is necessary), but I lean on the better-safe-than-sorry approach to things.
      • Select "wipe cache partition" (often referred to as simply wiping cache).
      • Check the "mounts and storage" again (nothing should have unmounted).
      • Select "advanced", then "Wipe Dalvik Cache" (often referred to as simply wiping dalvik; after you should need to mount data - that being said I'm not sure if it's really necessary to do so).
        • NOTE: You may see an "E:unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]" message before selecting Yes - I have had no problems stemming from this message.
      • Go to "backup and restore", then "Backup".
      • OPTIONAL: After this has been completed, I recommend going into the SD card after the fact and renaming the backup folder so you remember what ROM the backup is for (things I tend to include in the title are ROM/version, kernel, modem, date).
        NOTE: As the above steps make you wipe cache/dalvik, the reboot after the nandroid backup is complete will take a bit longer than usual - this is perfectly normal.
      NOTE: WHAT FOLLOWS BELOW LIKELY ISN'T NECESSARY IF YOU DID THE ABOVE NANDROID, BUT IT'S GOOD TO DO REGARDLESS!!
    • Backup Contacts -
      • This is usually done automatically through Google account syncing.
      • If you happen to have entered-into-phone-only numbers, you can export your contacts (saves as a .vcf file I believe) and manually isolate those (you can modify the file in a text editor or even Excel - I heard a rumor there was a free app that could do this, but I have yet to find it...) - OR just sync everything with your Google account - your call. Some use Backup Assistant, but I have no experience with this one.
    • Backup User Apps -
      • I use Titanium Backup (requires root), and I have not had a problem provided I NOT back up system data.
      • That being said, I usually end up having to download some apps from market anyway (or install .apks using ADB or Root Explorer), so I try to keep a list of what apps I am using just in case. What really helps is to do this backup right before upgrading - that way you don't have to reinstall AND update everything.
      • You can also keep track of what you have installed using the android market website, and I've heard you can install/reinstall apps from appbrain as well - but I have not tried those routes.
    • Backup (browser) bookmarks -
      • Some might not find this to be necessary, but regardless I tend to use the Chrome To Phone app anyway, so as long as I have a list somewhere (or restore the app data, keeping the links I chromed to my phone) it's not too hard to "manually" redo these. I like me my shortcuts...
    • Backup launcher (e.g. LauncherPro, GO Launcher EX) -
      • I have been a long-time user of LauncherPro, although recently I have been turned on to the joy that is GO Launcher EX - I highly recommend either of these. They both do everything I care for them to do, but LauncherPro has been neglected somewhat in the context of updates (that being said - I never encountered issues that required updating). The nice thing about both of these launchers is that if you get them to behave/look just the way you want (and you want to save a few minutes - in all honesty it really doesn't take long to get things set up again), there is a backup option (under Preferences). If you don't have either of these launchers or don't care about them - move on.
        NOTE: I cannot speak to how either of these handles the backup and restoration of widgets.
    • Backup SD Card -
      • SD cards are not infallible. They can become corrupt/stop working at any time (or because of something you did
        ).
      • Better safe than sorry, so back up your SD card regularly (or at least before flashing stuff)!
      • I would also wait on doing this until AFTER fully prepping your SD card (see next step)!
  2. There are a number of files that should be on your SD card and on your computer to facilitate the upgrade process. These would include things like ROMs, kernels, themes... really anything you might need (just depends on your needs).
    • Make sure you keep your SD card organized - this will vastly decrease your chances of using a file incorrectly later on.
    • For example, I have a general folder in the root of my SD (called "Modifications") that has a ROMs folder, a Recovery folder, a Kernels folder, a Modems folder, etc. Keep track of file names, where things go, and (I am apparently a bit anal) I find it useful to have a similarly structured directory on my computer as well (hooray for organization - and an extra backup!).
    • A good rule of thumb - if (after extracting it from a .7z file if that was what it was when you originally downloaded it) the file name ends in .zip - it should go on your SD card as it will be flashed via CWM. If the file name ends in .tar (or .tar.md5) - it should go on your computer as it will be flashed via ODIN.
  3. Before doing anything to the phone, make sure USB Debugging (under Settings > Applications > Development) is checked.
    • I also tend to have Allow mock locations and (under Settings > Applications) Unknown sources checked.
  4. Install Charge drivers if necessary.
    • If you had a previous version of this (like say if you had the Fascinate drivers installed) make sure to uninstall that before installing this one (Control Panel->Programs and Features->SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones).
    • In the case of those with the Fascinate drivers the new "program" you install for the Charge has the same name, just a different version number.

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Step 2 - recommended (optional) "clean" prepping

This is definitely optional, as there are ODINable custom ROMs available that can serve the same function, as well as ODINable stock ROMs of earlier (ED1 and ED2) builds. I am in no way making the claim that what I have laid out here is the one and only way - the way outlined here just feels "cleaner" to me. Personal preference I suppose.
  1. Get back to stock EE4:
    • This is considered one way to start with a "clean slate" (and I believe this is a necessary step if you are dealing with partition conversions, with the relevant example here being voodoo/ext4).
      NOTE: This is also a method of "fixing" your phone if things get screwed up!
    • This only works if you can get into download mode on the phone, and ODIN recognizes the phone! Refer to this thread for a wealth of relevant info, as well as a number of important files.
    1. Make sure phone is FULLY (100% when OFF) charged.
      NOTE: I've done this without being fully charged and everything worked fine - this seems to be more for minimizing the issues with battery life that then require battery calibration to fix - see this thread for more info on this line of thinking. It seems that the level of battery charge does not matter as much when flashing using ODIN.
    2. Remove (case and) back of phone, and remove battery (some also remove the SIM card - I have not and have so far been ok).
      NOTE: More and more I am hearing people report NO issues with skipping this step. My thinking is this remove-the-battery step is just a sure-fire way to make sure the phone is completely off, but many don't bother EVER removing the battery throughout the ENTIRE process - do with that information what you will.
    3. Start Odin 1.83 (this is the version I used at least) on the computer - refer to this post or this post for some general info on how to use ODIN - the latter includes screen shots, which can be handy for those that are more visual learners.
      NOTE: You need to run this as administrator (I just click Yes when the User Control dialog box comes up - Windows 7), and it is also recommended to turn off any antivirus program you may have running (especially if you have issues with ODIN not working properly).
    4. Connect phone to computer, and then hold the volume-down button - should now enter "Download" mode (yellow android on screen).
      • Make sure to use a USB port that is directly connected to your computer's motherboard (i.e. for a desktop the front panel USB ports may have issues, so use the ports on the back). Also, the phone needs to be connected to the PC without anything in between (i.e. don't use a USB hub).
      • If there is trouble getting into download mode, try disconnecting from USB, then hold in volume key, and then plug in USB.
      • If you removed the battery, putting battery back in (but still taking it out the first time) before holding volume key and plugging in USB has worked.
      • Some report that putting the battery back in AFTER holding volume key and plugging in USB has worked - I have not tried this way (and again this would be most relevant for those who took the battery out in the first place).
    5. Put battery back in if not already (otherwise ODIN seems to have a much higher chance of failing).
    6. Within ODIN, in PDA (PDA PDA PDA!!!!) choose the extracted CI510_VZW_EE4_ALL_ONE-LTE-CP_REV03_user_CL1014954.tar.md5 file from here.
    7. FOR A MORE THOROUGH CLEAN SLATE: (be wary - there is definite risk when playing with non-PDA buttons!)
    8. Make sure the "auto-reboot" box is UNchecked.
    9. I've also seen it recommended to UNcheck F. Reset Time - I've done this both ways (because I forgot to uncheck it a few times - oops) and I haven't really noticed any differences (which doesn't mean they aren't there I suppose). Is anyone aware of what F. Reset Time represents? I heard something about a count of times flashed, but I'm not sure how much I buy into that.
    10. Flash - if successful disconnect the phone.
      NOTE: After ODIN says it's done, your phone will still say "Downloading... Do not turn off Target!!!" - as long as ODIN says everything is done it's OK to disconnect your phone!
    11. Reboot phone and verify all is well (Settings > About Phone shows EE4 as last three characters for both Build number and Baseband version).
    12. While you are here, you could always check for system updates - this is what you would do to get to stock "official" Gingerbread once that becomes available to us (whenever that might be).
    13. Turn off phone - and CHARGE TO 100% (not required but is recommended anyway) AGAIN!
  2. OPTIONAL NOTE: Some have reported the EP1Q modem to be a noticeable improvement when it comes to signal strength and network speeds, and the EP1W modem improves how the phone handles 3G-4G switching. You can have either in place before OR AFTER flashing GC FE2. Either way - to do this you need to do the following:
    1. Assuming the initial setup was already completed (getting ODIN, installing drivers), remove the battery (although many keep it in the whole time).
    2. Start Odin 1.83 on computer.
    3. Connect phone to computer, then hold volume-down button - should now enter "Download" mode (see number 4 within number 1 (i.e. the section that started off this STEP 2) above if you have trouble).
    4. MAKE SURE to have battery in AND have auto-reboot UNchecked (and maybe uncheck F. Reset Time?).
    5. Within ODIN, under PDA (PDA PDA PDA!!!) select ONE of the following (it just depends which modem you want):
    6. Flash - if ODIN says it was successful, disconnect phone (regardless of the warning on the screen of your phone), replace battery (if necessary), and verify correct modem status (i.e. Settings -> About phone; Baseband version should end in EP3 for EP3HA, EP1 for both EP1Q and EP1W, and it should end in EE4 for the EE4 modem).
    NOTE: I have used both the EP1W modem and the EP3HA modem, and I have to say that I am quite happy and recommend using either (I noticed little difference between the two, but of course YMMV).

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Step 3 - flashing a custom rom

1. While not required it is recommended that you make sure the phone is AGAIN fully charged (i.e. 100% with power OFF). This is less of an issue when flashing with ODIN, but issues have been reported when flashing with lower battery charges in CWM. While some have been successful in using CWM to flash with less-charged batteries, it is highly recommended that you at least be close to a full charge (95% or more) when flashing with CWM.
  2. IF you have not installed CWM (most up-to-date version found here), then -
    1. OPTIONAL: If desired, remove battery - although many report success leaving battery in through the ENTIRE process.
    2. Start Odin 1.83 on computer. Make sure to run this as administrator (I just click Yes when the User Control dialog box comes up - Windows 7), and it is also recommended to turn off any antivirus program you may have running (especially if you have issues with ODIN not working properly).
    3. Connect phone to computer, then (or after you) hold down volume-down button - should now enter "Download" mode (under STEP 2 see number 4 within number 1 if you have trouble).
    4. Replace battery (if haven't already) and UNcheck Auto-Reboot (and maybe uncheck F. Reset Time?).
    5. Under PDA, flash 0817_charge_recovery.tar.md5 (found here).
    6. If ODIN says it was successful, disconnect phone, but DO NOT RESTART PHONE YET!!
  3. ONCE FULLY CHARGED (see last note below - also, while I have not done so, I have read that flashing in CWM while the phone is charging is fine (it actually doesn't charge when in CWM), but regardless you should still wait until the phone is at least 90-95% charged before flashing in CWM, charging or not) AND IF you already have an appropriate CWM installed, turn on phone via the "three-finger salute".
    • In other words, hold down vol up + home key + power - you will see the samsung logo, but continue holding all three until it goes away then comes back (not sure what of this is necessary - I've read a number of combinations (hold home + vol up but release power until booted into CWM comes to mind currently), but it's what I did).
      NOTE: If you actually boot like normal instead of into recovery, you will need to re-ODIN CWM! It gets overwritten with the stock recovery UNLESS you flash (within CWM or in an ODIN package) a custom kernel (which is included in the custom GC FE2 ROM)!
    • If done correctly, you should now boot into CWM recovery (again see this thread for some information relevant to using CWM).
      NOTE: If at this point you are only looking to root your phone and stay relatively stock, then all you need to do is flash the superuser file obtained from this site. To flash in CWM simply select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard" and select the su-3.0.4-efgh-signed.zip file. Just as a heads up, I have read of at least one person NOT having CWM overwritten by the stock kernel, so it seems YMMV.
    • NOTE: IF FULLY CHARGED BEFORE FLASHING - Some suggest that it would be beneficial to wipe battery stats at this point, which is done in CWM through advanced > wipe battery stats. This can also be done later (see BATTERY CALIBRATION under STEP 5 - Finalizing Phone) but I gave this a try and it seemed to work well (or at least not do any noticeable damage).
  4. "Wipe" the phone -
    • While some might not believe it to be necessary, go into "mounts and storage" and make sure the word "unmount" is to the left of /cache, /data, /datadata, and /system.
    • Select "wipe data/factory reset" (often referred to as simply wiping data).
    • Check the "mounts and storage" again (should need to mount data and datadata (and sdcard, but that doesn't make sense really at this point).
    • Check the "mounts and storage" again (nothing should change).
    • Select "advanced", then "Wipe Dalvik Cache" (often referred to as simply wiping dalvik; after you should need to mount data - that being said I'm not sure if it's really necessary to do so).
      • NOTE: You may see an "E:unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]" message before selecting Yes - I have had no problems stemming from this message.
      • NOTE: From what I understand, dalvik (and cache?) is wiped when wiping data (wipe data/factory reset), but for whatever reason I have made a practice of wiping all three before installing a ROM. Also - you only need to do each wipe ONCE!
    • IF you want to try a formatter utility (NOTE: THIS DID NOT FORMAT /SYSTEM FOR ME! I HAD ISSUES USING THIS, SO I REDID THE WHOLE PROCESS UP TO THIS POINT AND SKIPPED THE FORMATTER) -
      • Select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard", then select the formatter zip file (as the kernel included in GC FE 2.0 is voodoo, use ext4_formatter_all.zip found here).
      • NOTE (information pulled from original thread: To see if it worked using ADB (there are a number of ADB information sources, like here and here, as well as the links here - these are the same as I listed near the beginning of this post) -
        • Mount each partition in CWM (see above for how).
        • Connect phone to computer and open command prompt (how you find this depends on what version of Windows you are running: you either (Windows XP) hit the Start button then select Run and type "cmd" (without quotes) and hit Enter OR you (Windows Vista/7) hit the Start button and select Search and type "cmd" (without quotes) and hit Enter).
        • Verify the device is found by typing "adb devices" (without quotes) - you should see something under List of devices attached (I get 12 alphanumeric characters) followed by (depending on the state of your phone) "device" or (in this case) "recovery".
        • Then (again, without quotes) type "adb shell" - the prompt should change to "/ #" (without the quotes obviously).
        • Then (yup, without quotes) type "mount".
        • From this output you should see what file system your big 4 partitions (/system, /data, /dbdata, /cache) are using - they should now be ext4).
        • For a more abbreviated output, simply type "mount | grep ext4" - assuming all went well you should get 4 lines, one for each of the big 4 partitions. If not, then whatever partition(s) is(are) missing did not convert to ext4.
        • Type "exit" to exit out of shell and return you to the normal command prompt.
        ANOTHER NOTE: Before rebooting make sure to quit ADB and disconnect the phone from the computer!
    • Before moving forward, word on the street is to make sure the system and data partitions are mounted prior to flashing (see above for how) - not sure if this is necessary, but I took a look and made sure they were.
    • Now the fun part - Install the new ROM by selecting (from main menu) "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard", then selecting the particular ROM zip you want to install (in this case it is GummyChargedFE_2.0.zip that you can get from here).
    • Reboot - this one may take a while (the first time I did this I didn't get voodoo lady voice (i.e. my partitions did not auto-convert to ext4), but the second time I did get the voice - not sure why, but either way this first boot will take a while)!
      NOTE: You may need to download Voodoo Control from Market to enable ext4 (i.e. if you didn't hear the voice, or the voice said lagfix was disabled, etc.). To do so -
      • In Voodoo Control, under Lagfix preferences, check ext4 conversion (AND for /system) - reboot.
      • Let it FULLY boot (can take 10ish minutes or so - will here voodoo lady voice).
    • Verify all is well.
  5. OPTIONAL NOTE: IF you do not want your phone/Google to auto-restore your apps (as discussed briefly here) -
    • On the setup wizard screen, quickly touch each of the four corners clockwise, starting with the upper left (watch this YouTube video for a visual of how to do it).
    • This will bring you to the launcher - from here you can go to Settings > Privacy and make sure BOTH Backup my data AND Automatic restore are UNCHECKED (some also recommend turning off wifi and mobile data before this just to make sure nothing is pushed to the phone).
    • Once Backup data and Automatic restore are disabled, turn on wifi/mobile data (if you turned them off) and add your google account (Settings > Accounts & sync > Add Account).
    • After you add your google account, quickly go back into Settings > Privacy and make sure the two checkboxes are still unchecked.
    • To double-check I go into Market, hit the Menu key, then select My Apps to see if anything is automatically downloading.

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Okay - now it's time to make the phone "yours" again! The applicability of this section will vary - as it stands it is pretty me-specific (it's what I did after all), but it seems like some of this might be useful to others (or others will have more useful ways of going about things, which they will hopefully share!).
  • You can try a Nandroid Advanced Restore if you have a (preferably "clean" - see STEP 1 number 1 for more info) nandroid backup.

NOTE: THIS WILL LIKELY NOT WORK UNLESS YOU USE THE NEWEST CWM 4.0.1.4!
    1. Boot into CWM - IMPORTANT: Don't do this until AFTER the phone has had a chance to fully load at least ONCE after all the ROM flashing from the previous step(s).
    2. Go to "backup and restore", select "Advanced Restore", then select the nandroid backup you will use.
    3. Select "Restore data" - this should restore all User Data and apps.
    4. Reboot.
    NOTE: Some user setups in the flashed ROM may be lost in the restore, and there is always a risk of odd app issues. That being said - if this worked and is problem-free, all of your personal data/apps should be restored!
  • Other non-nandroid restore routes (listed in no particular order):
    • Sync phone with Google account - this will get you a number of things (e-mail, contacts, calendar).
    • Set up Google Voice (unless of course you don't use it) as your voicemail. I had an "error" setting it up, however it worked fine. You may need to dial a number to "activate" the forwarding (I didn't thankfully) - check here for more information.
    • Import phone contacts that aren't Google-synced (unless of course you don't have any of those).
    • Some have their phone set to "auto-restore" - I'm not a huge fan of this (mostly because I can't "control" it), so I try to disable such things (see STEP 3 number 5 for how).
    • If you made backups (I use Titanium Backup - I highly recommend it), download the relevant backup app from the market.
      • Load backed up apps - use the "Restore missing apps with data" batch option.
      • If you encounter problems with Titanium Backup - word is you can click on the "Problem?" button and reinstall busybox (or there's always Busybox Installer). I did not have a problem, so I cannot verify this.
      • Check market for updates (depending on when you did the backup, this may not be necessary) and download anything that couldn't be backed up (system apps; Google Maps, etc.).
      • Lately it seems that after I launch LauncherPro for the first time the backup automatically is activated (along with the full version key) - while I have not tried it yet I would imagine the same would hold for GO Launcher EX. Just thought I would point that out.
  • As previously mentioned, my partitions did not auto-convert to ext4 on first boot (no robot lady) - well, at least not the first install attempt (all subsequent attempts have had no issues). As CWM doesn't give accurate voodoo info (it's no longer an option even in newer CWM versions), download Voodoo Control to check (see the last few entries of STEP 3 number 4 for how).
  • If there are any updates/mods needed to get your "base" in place (kernel, modem, recovery, update to ROM, etc.), the general policy is to go back into CWM (can get there through power menu, terminal emulator [type reboot recovery], ADB [type adb reboot recovery], or turn off then three-finger) and flash the desired patch/theme .zip file.
    It's good policy to wipe cache/dalvik for these, as well as reboot after each - but it isn't always necessary.
    NOTE: I get an "E:unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]" message when wiping Dalvik - this stems from no /sd-ext partition and is fine and of no concern.
    • If you want to stick with imoseyon's kernel, I highly recommend updating it (found here - currently running version 1.2.2). If not, check out the kernels by imnuts (voodoo/novoodoo found here and an overclockable voodoo found here).
    • When switching from a voltage/clock-tweaked kernel, it's probably a good idea to remove your personal settings (i.e. erase any boot settings you might have - if using Voltage Control check for a S_volt_scheduler file in /system/etc/init.d).
    • If you want to try and verify what version of a kernel you are running, here are two things I've found that may help:
      • This applies in general, but specifically is nice for imnuts kernels as he tends to include the date in the flashable file name itself. If you know around when a particular kernel was posted, you can check to see if the build date matches/is close in Terminal Emulator:
        • uname -a
        OR by using ADB:
        • adb shell uname -a
      • If you already have the upgraded 1.2.2 version of imoseyon's kernel, you can verify the particular version by opening Terminal Emulator, then typing "cat kernel_version" (without the quotes of course). This is the same information that you find in /kernel_version (which is where you are directed to look per the changelog in the OP). This can also be checked via ADB, with the command "adb shell cat kernel_version" (again, no quotes).
    • While this functionality exists within GC FE2 as well (see TO USE GUMMY TOOLBOX below, specifically option 3), if using one of the most recent imnuts kernels (0807 voodoo or novoodoo, or 0808 overclock) you can disable/enable logging. Logging (at least from the standpoint of the kernel) is enabled by default.
      • When disabling, a reboot is required for it to take effect. To disable, open Terminal Emulator and type:
        • su
        • disable-logcat
        • reboot
        OR in ADB type:
        • adb shell disable-logcat
        • adb reboot
      • To enable logging again, open Terminal Emulator and type:
        • su
        • enable-logcat
        OR in ADB type:
        • adb shell enable-logcat
    • I've heard of some using a kernel cleaner that you can find here - while this may be nothing more than user error this utility did NOT sit well with my phone. When I used it (when I was preparing to flash a different kernel) the end result was having to go through this whole fun process again (on the up side, I could check my guide). Based on my limited experience (which again could be drenched in user error) I don't recommend this, but if you want to check it out regardless I believe you would want to flash the samsung_ultimate_kernel_cleaning_script_by_lippol94.zip file in CWM. That being said, I doubt I will be using that anytime soon.
  • This is something that applies to Lets Golf 2 and GC FE2 - if you want to fully and completely remove this -
    NOTE: imnuts 0807 kernels (and 0808 overclock) make this a non-issue, as it uses that preinstall folder for swap space...
    • Go into Manage Applications (ALL) and uninstall Lets Golf 2.
    • Delete the folders within /Preinstall.
    • This should make it so it doesn't re-install anymore (see here for more info).

APPS I WOULD RECOMMENDED FOR TWEAKING (and in general really - there are definitely other options, but again these are my preferences):
  • Titanium Backup
  • Root Explorer
  • Busybox Installer
  • Script Manager
  • Voodoo Control
  • Voltage Control
  • Terminal Emulator (comes with GC)
  • CPUSpy
  • GPS Status & Toolbox
  • ADW EX Launcher or Go Launcher EX
  • Any I missed that others think should be here?
NOTE: Some of these are pay apps - and worth every penny!

- GUMMY TOOLBOX -

MANY things can be done through the gummy toolbox... you should check it out! Note that much of what follows comes from the OP of this thread - you should read it! Also, check out this thread for some great visual guides on using gummy toolbox!
That being said, before checking out the gummy toolbox you need to -

UPDATE GUMMY TOOLBOX:
  • Open terminal emulator
  • Type "su" (without quotes - this gives you superuser access, which you may be prompted for allowing) and hit enter
  • Type "updatetb" (again without quotes) and hit enter
  • At the prompt, select 1 to update (2 doesn't seem to contain any links yet), then 1 to confirm update. After install, select 3 to exit.
TO USE GUMMY TOOLBOX:
  • Open terminal emulator
  • Type "su" (without quotes - this gives you superuser access, which you may be prompted for allowing) and hit enter
  • Type "gummytoolbox" (again without quotes) and hit enter
  • At the prompt, choose from the following options:
  • OPTION 1 - Install/Delete Apps
    • This allows you to either install pre-selected apps OR gives you the option of installing any .apk or removing any .apk from /system/app.
  • OPTION 2 - Themes
    • This lets you install a number of pre-selected themes (list is updated frequently)
    • NOTE: Make sure to return to/be on DEFAULT theme (which is semi-blue) BEFORE installing a new theme!!
  • OPTION 3 - Tweaks
    • This lets you toggle on/off a number of tweaks.
    • The rom defaults to blocking ads, deactivating logs, activating loopysmooth (so no need to do the loopysmooth tweak), and enables SDCard boosts.
    • I prefer the ability to logcat, so I enable log.
  • OPTION 4 - HANDY LINKS
    • Here you can find links to donate and to kejar's twitter page.
  • OPTION 5 - EXIT

- TSM PARTS -

This is an amazing set of tweaks that was first ported to the Charge in GC FE2!
  • There is one you will likely want to deal with right away. The first boot after installing GC FE2 will have your clock font color as a default of black (it looks like it isn't there). This is normal - just go to Settings > TSM Parts > Statusbar Settings > Text Color to change the clock font color. Once you click on/enter a color, click the center of the wheel to "confirm". Any changes you make to the clock font color won't appear until after a reboot. I've also heard that simply unchecking Hide Clock works, but I haven't verified this.
  • Changes to Carrier Text and Hide Alarm require a reboot to go into effect as well.
  • Most of the other tweaks under Statusbar Settings will "activate" after you rotate your phone into landscape.
  • Choosing your answer type is located within the Misc Settings of TSMParts, although some have reported issues with the Puzzle not going away.
  • If you use a lockscreen that has a custom TSM button, you MUST (under Settings > TSM Parts > Lockscreen Settings) set a Custom App BEFORE you try to use it!
  • The Custom MSG under Lockscreen Settings doesn't really show on AOSP or 4Tab (you see a glimpse AFTER swiping a tab).
  • If you double-tap the time/clock on the MIUI lockscreen it toggles on/off the music controls.
  • I'm not sure how specific this is, but when using the MIUI lockscreen and connected to a computer the phone seems to get VERY hot (a good 15-20 degrees F warmer than when using the AOSP lockscreen - this was the only one I tested).
  • You may get odd haptic feedback from tapping near the center of the SGSII lockscreen - not sure why, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems.
  • When you Enable Volume Wake, pressing the volume rocker (either up or down) may not wake up phone if it's in deep sleep (my experience at least).
  • Some people have reported issues with "hotboots" (the more common variation is like a half-reboot where it skips the Samsung logo and goes right to the boot animation). While not exclusive to this situation, typically this occurs most often when waking the phone. Given the increased issues with this seen when TSM Parts is integrated into Gingerbread bases, some progress has been made as to why these things occur (related to VM heap size and java usage, or so I've heard - see the OP for GC GBE2.1 here, and specifically the changelog for the GC GBE2.1 update patch). That being said I am not going to pretend like I know what is going on with this, but based on my past experiences with TSM Parts (on the Fascinate), it seems to be in some way influenced by setting a custom wallpaper - this seems to be hit-or-miss for which custom lockscreen wallpaper users it affects though. If this seems descriptive of an issue you are having, some have minimized/eliminated the problem by switching back to the default lockscreen wallpaper (which is not so bad as-is really). I have also heard that wiping cache/dalvik can help, but it seems more of a temporary fix.

- FOR THOSE ABOUT TO OVERCLOCK/UNDERVOLT -

IF you decide to OC/UV - check out here and here for info/recommendations. The latter link also includes discussion for another commonly used OC/UV app called SetCPU - I have never used this, as Voltage Control has always done everything I needed it to do. That being said, there are those who swear by it (but watch out for profiles - rumor is they don't play nice with the Charge). I should also note that while I played with this a bit using imoseyon's kernel, I never messed around with the 0808 overclock variant of imnuts kernel - and such end-user overclock/undervolt changes are not possible using the 0807 kernels.

When using voltage control (and the included imoseyon kernel), my (boring) setup is:
  • Under the Advanced tab all steps from 1000 down (except 600 w/ imoseyon) are green-light, the rest are red.
  • Those same steps are all modified to -50 (this has been very stable).
  • Under the General tab Deadline is set as the I/O scheduler, and conservative is set as the CPU governor.
  • Any changes made brings up 2 buttons - one to apply and the other to discard.
  • Hitting the menu key lets you Save As Boot Settings - but MAKE SURE your settings work for you beforehand.
  • Also, you may need to apply a small fix to make your "Save As Boot Settings" settings stick after a reboot:
    • Open up Script Manager (free app) and navigate to /system/etc/init.d.
    • Select the S_volt_scheduler file.
    • Check the box the says run on boot and select save.

- FIX PERMISSIONS -

While I have rarely encountered force close issues, fixing permissions has been one method to dealing with them. Now that in the newest CWM the script is said to be working (I'm not completely sure on this - it seemed to go faster than it should have when I did this), I believe the way to do this is to:
  • Reboot into recovery (by whatever means you deem appropriate - because you know how to do these things by now, right?).
  • Go to "mounts and storage" and then mount ALL partitions (i.e. make sure all say "unmount" - to be honest I'm not sure if this is necessary).
  • Go to "advanced" and then "Fix Permissions".
  • Reboot.
NOTE: In my experience this does not seem to be working currently (per the fix_permissions.log file that winds up on the /sdcard), but I also have had no real need for it.

- OTHER TWEAKS YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK OUT -
  • While I have not had GPS issues that were severe enough to make any changes, many have applied the information learned here.
  • Thanks to the extremely helpful guide by hazard209 found here and here, many are now enjoying a variety of awesomely enhancing tweaks. These include V6 SuperCharger, 3G TurboBooster, and KickAssKernel (download-relevant post within original thread for these is found here. The LoopySmoothness tweak (original thread found here - and a nice tutorial can be found here) is actually now part of GC FE2 - see hazard's guide for GC FE2-relevant instructions - also note that imoseyon's kernels play somewhat differently with V6 than others (again see hazard's guide).
    • I never tried the KickAssKernel tweak, as there were some issues reported involving YouTube when I was looking into this. As far as I know some attempts at resolving the issue were being made, but I am unsure what the result was.
    • When I used them I had some relatively minor issues with some of the newer beta scripts for V6 SuperCharger and 3G TurboBooster. I would recommend trying the updated ones first, but just in case you can get the V6 script I used here and the 3G script I used here. Since my initial usage of these scripts, my phone has gone through a variety of flashing episodes and I have yet to re-run them. That being said my experience with these was quite positive.
  • While the above tweaks should help with the ever-present issue of "redraw" (e.g. it takes a bit for your launcher/home screen to load up after playing a game, etc.), there is an impressively simple fix that can be applied that I have been pleased with as well - see this post for instructions and references.

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Step 5 - "finalize" the phone

- BATTERY CALIBRATION -

After the deluge of flashery, it's a good idea to calibrate your battery. There are two approaches (found here and here) that I have seen that are rather similar with one main exception. While I am summarizing, it seems both agree on the following steps:
  1. Charge the phone to 100% while ON.
  2. Turn off phone while on charger, and again charge to 100%.
  3. Some suggest "bump charging" (although check out here to see why this may not be such a good idea), which entails removing the phone from the charger for 10-15 seconds and reconnecting it, and again letting it charge to 100% (and possibly repeating until there is little time until achieving 100% after reconnecting).
  4. Disconnect the phone, then boot into CWM (using the three-finger salute) and go to "advanced" and then "Wipe Battery Stats".
  5. Reboot phone and use as you normally would to drain the battery.
It is at THIS point where the two approaches begin to fundamentally differ:
  • Approach 1 (explained in more detail here):
    1. Drain the battery until 0% (or to be safe 1%, as you want to avoid your phone actually shutting down due to the battery being "fully" discharged).
    2. Plug in the phone WHILE ON and keep it connected until charged to 100%.
    3. Repeat 3-4 times (so do 3-4 full drain - full charge cycles).
    4. At this point you should be calibrated and can charge whenever you want.
  • Approach 2 (explained in more detail here):
    1. Drain battery "completely" until the phone actually TURNS ITSELF OFF.
    2. Plug in the phone (WHILE OFF) and charge to 100%.
    3. While it may not be immediately apparent, after a few power cycles (i.e. discharge-recharge episodes) you should see a difference.
Both of these approaches seemed to work fine for me - any thoughts?

NOTE: The battery stats wipe can be done through other means - terminal emulator, market apps, etc. I've only used CWM for calibrating the Charge, so I can't speak to those other routes (although it seems others have had success with them). That being said, there is one app I plan on trying in the near future that supposedly makes this process much simpler - info can be found here for those that want to check it out.

- UPDATE YOUR BACKUPS -

Once everything is behaving how you want it to, I recommend going through the process of making new backups. For me at least this includes:
  • Making sure to keep Titanium Backup backups updated (and only user apps!).
  • If using LauncherPro/Go Launcher EX (and changes were made), updating the backup of this as well.
  • Making sure to update backups of non-synced contacts (if you have those).
  • Making sure to update the list of installed apps and website bookmarks (man am I anal...).
  • Making a "clean" nandroid backup - To do this (using the latest CWM 4.0.1.4 found here):
    • Reboot into CWM (in whatever way is most appropriate).
    • Some recommend going into "mounts and storage" and making sure the word "unmount" is to the left of /cache, /data, /datadata, and /system.
      • NOTE: While I question whether this checking process is necessary (I've had things work fine without doing this), I tend to lean on the better-safe-than-sorry approach to things.
    • Check the "mounts and storage" again (nothing should unmount).
    • Go to "backup and restore", then "Backup".
    • OPTIONAL: After this has been completed, I recommend going into the SD card after the fact and renaming the backup folder so you remember what ROM the backup is for (things I tend to include in the title are ROM/version, kernel, modem, date).
  • Backup SD Card!!

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Miscellaneous Notes - Credits

• If you have issues with getting a GPS lock, here are a few tricks that I've had work from time to time:
    • Download GPS Status & Toolbox from the market, then open it, hit the menu button, and under Tools select Compass calibration. GPS lock seems faster after doing so... but it could just be in my head.
    • While the Standalone GPS services tends to lead to not-so-great GPS lock/accuracy, if you also make sure that VZW location services and Google location services are checked as well (under Settings > Location & security) it seems to help (so does enabling WiFi).
    • Check out this thread for some fixes that have worked well for many (minimal effect for myself).
    • Follow the simple instructions from this thread - this also was minimally successful for me, but YMMV.
  • If you are in a 4G area and are only getting 3G, sometimes going into Airplane mode (long press the power button and select Airplane OR go to Settings > Wireless & network and check the Airplane mode box) will "force" it back into 4g.
  • Also, if you are in an area that doesn't have 4G (or it isn't that strong), you can force the phone to only use 3G by going to Settings > Wireless & network > Mobile networks > System selection and selecting CDMA mode (then choosing Automatic). To go back to 4G, go back to the same menu and select LTE automatic. There is an app called LTE Switch that you can get free on the market that appears to be a shortcut to the Mobile networks screen, but some have reported major issues with using the app (see here for some (minor) discussion on this).
  • If you are having continual 1X/3G/4G switching or data dropping issues, there are a few things you can try:
    1. Try toggling airplane mode (i.e. turn airplane mode on, wait a minute or so, then turn airplane mode off). If that doesn't work -
    2. Power off the phone, remove the battery, and carefully slide the sim card out of its slot for a couple minutes. Then carefully slide the sim card back in and power up the phone. If that doesn't work -
    3. Try going to your local Verizon store (it is HIGHLY advised that if you do this you ODIN back to stock EE4 first!!) and getting a new SIM card. If that doesn't work - well, you're at your local Verizon store, so they'll tell you what your options are.
  • I tend to turn off auto-brightness and screen rotation unless they are needed - seems to help me on battery life, but YMMV.
  • If you are having issues with google music (which comes pre-installed on GC FE 2) not playing songs (even though the songs and artwork load), the problem may be based on how often you flash ROMs. On a computer log in to music.google.com and click on settings (upper right of the screen, just to the left of your e-mail). It seems that you can only have 8 authorized devices listed here, and ROM variations (even though on the same phone) can get listed separately as new devices. Delete those that aren't relevant and you should have no more problems playing songs.
  • For those wanting to silence notifications from Gmail (I believe this is for the newest 2.3.5 version), open the app and from the Inbox view hit the Menu key > More > Settings. Tap on the gmail account already listed, then scroll down and tap Labels to notify. From here you tap Inbox, then Ringtone, and scroll up and select Silent.
  • There are a large number of knowledgeable folks that frequent the IRC chatroom #charge on andirc - and there is even a web-interface you can use here. This can be a nice resource for answers to questions that are not addressed here (or not addressed well I suppose).

- CREDITS -

What I have laid out here is nothing more than a compliation of various sources of information - none of which was uniquely created by me. The point of the compilation is to offer a single source for what (in my opinion, however misguided it might be) are the most critical and important pieces of the information heap that I have amassed. That being said - the real credit goes to those who have made the unique original informational creations upon which this guide is built. Some of the most notable (again - only my opinion) include (but are not limited to, and are listed in no particular order):
  • imnuts
  • kejar31, syaoran12, imoseyon, hazard209, and the rest of Team Gummy
  • jt1134
  • Zeppelinrox
  • lpy
  • nitsuj17, sbrissen, and the rest of teamsbrissenmod
  • every other author of any thread I reference in this guide at any point
Without folks like these, none of this would be possible! My apologies to anyone I missed!

[HR]
Well, I hope some of this excessively over-detailed series of posts will be useful to at least some small niche of users. If not, I'm sure it will be quickly discarded (unless I shamelessly bump it from time to time with updates). Regardless, I now feel as if I have made some sort of minor contribution (or at least an attempt, however poor it may be) to the Charge community. Any and all thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcome and encouraged! I plan on keeping this updated as new things come out - in particular I plan on slightly restructuring this to include a parallel set of instructions for "clean" installing GC GBE 2.1 once I get around to flashing it. Enjoy and happy flashing!

·
Android Apprentice
20 Posts
Just wanna say thanks for doing this. I appreciate the work it took to do it.

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
combatvet said:
Just wanna say thanks for doing this. I appreciate the work it took to do it.
No problem - I hope the information was helpful! I've been doing small tweaks to it here and there, and I plan on adding things that I find useful as I come across them. On that note - if any have suggestions, please let me know!

·
Average Android
61 Posts
Wish I had this link before I did link Keller sent. I need help. STUCK looping in droid and eye. Did ODIN install and it passed of ed1 tar. Looping non stop, can't figure what to do next.

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lucas3 said:
Wish I had this link before I did link Keller sent. I need help. STUCK looping in droid and eye. Did ODIN install and it passed of ed1 tar. Looping non stop, can't figure what to do next.
Well, you can (almost) always start over - in this case I would start on Step 2. All you should really need to get GC FE 2 up and running again is step 2 and step 3 - the rest is just personal preference/tips/links really.

·
Android Army/Themer
235 Posts
Dark market application has vanished. How do I get it back?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Loustsoul said:

...? I am relatively certain that there was no dark market application that came with GC FE 2 (at least that I noticed anyway), so this may not be the best place to post. I have not used a dark market application (not that I am aware of anyway) - where did the application come from originally? Does it show as something that can be uninstalled? Maybe try to reinstall? Sorry - I am of limited help with this one.

·
Average Android
207 Posts
"Loustsoul said:

Dark market was the themed market app associated with the murderCharged theme. If you are still using that theme, it might be possible that the recent market app update kicked it out. (behold the fun of auto updating system apps)

Sent from my Gummy Charged FE 2.0 SCH-I510 using RootzWiki Forums

·
Consummate tinkerer
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aaronDroid80 said:
Dark market was the themed market app associated with the murderCharged theme. If you are still using that theme, it might be possible that the recent market app update kicked it out. (behold the fun of auto updating system apps)

Sent from my Gummy Charged FE 2.0 SCH-I510 using RootzWiki Forums
Thanks for the info! I figured the new market version was the cause of the change, but I was unaware that one of the themes was where the dark market app originated from (haven't played with themes much yet).

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
HEY dwitherell, First off I'd like to say that I'm so very happy right now and never been so pleased with a tutorial before because I have been trying to get this rom on my Charge since JULY! I can't thank you enough, I even made my account name after you :android-smile: but THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!
One Question However and please excuse my Android Newbieness. Now that I have GC2.0FE rom, am I able to ODIN this kernal "VoodooChargeKernel4.tar.md5" without losing my current GC rom? Once again, Thank You!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts