Android OS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a couple people looking into this... but in case anyone is curious... this is everything that i'm doing to theme this mms.apk... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l0evmnpzatdjr7e/0A1wu2evwC

it has the res folder with the files i'm editing/adding... also has them in a downloadable zip... and the actual mms.apk i'm working off of... this is all JB based... also those files are decompiled already in case anyone wants to just open it up and see where my errors are!

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
i have a couple people looking into this... but in case anyone is curious... this is everything that i'm doing to theme this mms.apk... https://www.dropbox....jr7e/0A1wu2evwC

it has the res folder with the files i'm editing/adding... also has them in a downloadable zip... and the actual mms.apk i'm working off of... this is all JB based... also those files are decompiled already in case anyone wants to just open it up and see where my errors are!
Unfortunately drop box is blocked at my work, so I can't download your files.

Make sure you are only working with the APK that's in the dist folder after you recompile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unfortunately drop box is blocked at my work, so I can't download your files.

Make sure you are only working with the APK that's in the dist folder after you recompile.
Thanks... small update for me... I got someone to help me build it from source using my images and the proper XML code!! Thanks for the info I. This thread... here's what I got!!

Jellybean w/emoji+SMS split+MMS conversion+++

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
That good. Building from source is always easier. You get errors if there is a problem.

Might want to putt that screenshot tho, and mask your phone number. Lots of skeezy people on the internet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That good. Building from source is always easier. You get errors if there is a problem.

Might want to putt that screenshot tho, and mask your phone number. Lots of skeezy people on the internet.
Thanks... its a biz line anyways... its already everywhere online that's connected to me lol... and I'm too lazy to edit it...

·
Registered
51 Posts
this tutorial wont work on mms jb 4.1.1
yes it does... i found one issue when installing it tho... i can't edit res>values>styles.xml... if i do, the apk won't install properly...

this is my themed mms using this guide!! it was built from source... but i had played with a stock jb mms b4 having it built from source and it worked fine with the exception of editing the "styles.xml"

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
yes it does... i found one issue when installing it tho... i can't edit res>values>styles.xml... if i do, the apk won't install properly...

this is my themed mms using this guide!! it was built from source... but i had played with a stock jb mms b4 having it built from source and it worked fine with the exception of editing the "styles.xml"
That's odd, I haven't had any problems editing the styles.xml. Are you flashing in recovery, or trying to actually install the apk? Mms is meant to be a system app, so you should only flash from within recovery.

This tutorial will still work for JB. You can follow the tutorial, and it will work, or you can use the included hairline_left and hairline_right images instead of adding in sent_bg and recv_bg.

Also, if you are using APKtool, make sure you have the newest version, and make sure you have the newest aapt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried to put it on my phone in every way possible and nothing worked when I edited that XML... which is why I just ended up having it built from source...

I'm using apkmanager 5.0.2 which I'm sure needs some updating lol

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I tried to put it on my phone in every way possible and nothing worked when I edited that XML... which is why I just ended up having it built from source...

I'm using apkmanager 5.0.2 which I'm sure needs some updating lol

Yep, that will do it. Download the newest version of apk multi tool (Replaced apk manager), and you should be good.

http://apkmultitool.com/?q=node/5

If you prefer the apk manager interface, just copy the aapt, apktool.bat, and apktool.jar out of the apkmultitool folder, and into your apkmanager folder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
does the bubbles need to be the same size as the hairline_left.png?
i figured a simple equation to figuring out the proper sizes when creating an image from scratch... found it on the android developer site by chance... the equation is [background=rgb(249, 249, 249)] [/background]px = dp * (dpi / 160)

for xhdpi that's: 128 = 64 * (320 / 160)
for hdpi that's: 96 = 64 * (240 / 160)

the "64" in the equation was based off of the dp value given for that particular area of the mms that you want to add the bubble in... keep in mind that b/c these are .9.png images, that you want to make hdpi bubble size 98x98 and xhdpi bubble size 130x130... so 2 pixels larger to account for the 1x1 black border... this worked PERFECTLY for me... before, i was guessing the size and i had it too big so it left text messages spaced out too much... so anything larger than these images and you will have issues with the layout of reading the text messages... you can of course go smaller and since it's a .9.png, it will stretch to fit that!! hope that helped someone! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
No, it can be any size that you want. Just make sure you use a .9 so it will stretch properly The bubbles I use are approx 59x40 with the .9 patch lines.
any size you want as long as it's not larger than the height sizes i posted above... anything larger than i posted and you'll have layout issues with the text messages!!

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
any size you want as long as it's not larger than the height sizes i posted above... anything larger than i posted and you'll have layout issues with the text messages!!
Not sure why anyone would make the images that large, but good point.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I finally update the op with noted for Jelly Bean.

Remember this is only for how to add bubbles to the Mms.apk, there are many other aspect that you can theme as well.

·
just some dude
413 Posts

I'm sure a lot of you saw the thread, that alatedseraph started, about creating a bubble themed Mms app. The two of us went back an forth in that thread, trying different things, and finally figured it all out.

I thought it would be nice to make an actual How-to, so we can share the new found knowledge.

I want to start by crediting alatedseraph for the idea, and a lot of the information here.
This is an insanely useful post, thank you very much!

Donation sent...

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
How can I change the text color of the text that comes up in the search field?

I'm on JB and when making the Mms transparent I cant read the text in the search field...For example if I go to create a new message and start typing someones name then a list will display below of the people who match..Their names are all in black so I cant read them.

I have looked everywhere for this text and cant find it...its the only thing I cant get..Hope you can help..

TIA

Edit.........never mind I finally found it! :)

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
How can I change the text color of the text that comes up in the search field?

I'm on JB and when making the Mms transparent I cant read the text in the search field...For example if I go to create a new message and start typing someones name then a list will display below of the people who match..Their names are all in black so I cant read them.

I have looked everywhere for this text and cant find it...its the only thing I cant get..Hope you can help..

TIA

Edit.........never mind I finally found it! :)
Glad you found it.

For anyone else that is wondering, its in the list_item_font_primary.xml and list_item_font_secondary.xml in the drawable folder.

·
Registered
138 Posts

I've been asking around to see if this is possible and I guess it is. How in the world did you make the background an image?

101 - 120 of 125 Posts