Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP! If something goes wrong it makes it easier to get back to your setup.

Copy that backup to a computer or cloud storage. You will be messing with all the partitions, including the main storage (SD card). You might have to format the SD card or doctor the whole device, which would delete your backup. This will take a lil bit of time, especially if uploading it. I suggest using a zip program with compression to make uploading and downloading easier.

This is all done in WebOS. If you haven't already, install preware on your TouchPad. Go here for instructions on that. Get the webos quick install from here.
Go into preware and search for a program called tailor and install it.

First you need to unmount the USB (media partition. This is the sd card in Android. To procede any further, you will first need to check the file system. This will take about 5-7 minutes on a 32GB TouchPad!! If you get an error that pops up right away, don't worry; just run it again.

You can now resize the partition. Decide how much more space you need to add to another partition and subtract that from the number in "Partition Size". I took out 40 megs as an example. Enter that number in the text box and click resize partition. This will take a while longer then the filesystem check, about 15 minutes. You can then remount the usb (media) partition.

The Unused space at the bottom is how much space was given up by the "resize partition" command. It will not exactly match what you took out. It's been rounded to the nearest block size.

Select the partition you want to add to. I chose the Android (system), since that is what most people will change. Again you need to check the file system. This is a much smaller partition and is done in a few seconds. Again , if you get an error in the file system check, run it again!

You can now add the unused space to the partition size. (Please note in my example that the file system used is 355 megs. This is how much space is taken up by the cm10 -12162012 build and the official 101112012 gapps package.) Click Resize partition.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:35706]

Your all done! Reboot your touchpad and you will see you have added space in Android in a program that tells you the system partition size. (Titanium backup for example)

RolandDeschain79 has recently made a video to explain how its done.

Thanks to rwhitby of webosnation for developing Tailor and Nevertells for telling me about it!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using RootzWiki

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
Here is my current versions of my system resize scripts. Flash through recovery.
This will increase your system to the size listed and no more. Reflashing will not make your system any bigger.
changelog

0.1 test

0.2 test

0.3 initial release

0.4 added more warnings to reboot decreased unpartitioned space.

Known bugs: A few megs of unpartitioned space might be left.

update-cm-tenderloin-system_resize_400-0.4.zip
update-cm-tenderloin-system_resize_432-0.4.zip
update-cm-tenderloin-system_resize_512-0.4.zip Thanks Cody for coding this up!

The following scripts will increase your data partition to the specified sizes. They are useful for datamedia based roms like Milaq's 10.2 and most CM 11 roms. You must have enough freespace on the media (sd card) partition equal or more then the differance in the current and new size.

16gbTP_Gradular_data_resize_8192-0.1.zip
16gbTP_Gradular_data_resize_10752-0.1.zip

32gbTP_and_up_ONLY_Gradular_data_resize_12288-0.1.zip
32gbTP_and_up_ONLY_Gradular_data_resize_16320-0.1.zip
32gbTP_and_up_ONLY_Gradular_data_resize_20480-0.1.zip
32gbTP_and_up_ONLY_Gradular_data_resize_24576-0.1.zip

64gbTP_ONLY_Gradular_data_resize_40960-0.1.zip
64gbTP_ONLY_Gradular_data_resize_49152-0.1.zip
64gbTP_ONLY_Gradular_data_resize_56320-0.1.zip

WARNING: Using the following scripts will remove all system and data files. You must have a backup to restore or a ROM and GApps ready to flash after rebooting!!
update-cm-tenderloin-system_reset_400.zip
update-cm-tenderloin-system_reset_425.zip

To just scan the system without changes, run this in recovery.
update-cm-tenderloin-system_scan.zip

Follow this thread for more information to converting your partitions to work with data/media builds.
http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/top...Recovery,-Rom-Notes-+-Install-Guide-(4-08-14)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a last resort, yes. I have heard of some people who can't use their micro usb port and only charge through the touchstone. They can't run novaterm because the usb port is broken. I would only do it then. If you have no access to a computer.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using RootzWiki

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good to know. May have to come back when I have more time to try this vs the cm7 sdcard/resize zips.
Google is great, but direct links to Preware and and basic overview ( maybe post 2) would be handy to avoid any confusion from the uninitiated.

Sent from my "Up all night, sleep all day" HP CM9 Touchpad

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know. May have to come back when I have more time to try this vs the cm7 sdcard/resize zips.
Google is great, but direct links to Preware and and basic overview ( maybe post 2) would be handy to avoid any confusion from the uninitiated.

Yeah working on that and pics as well. The app is giving me issues for pics... Gotta get to a computer on some point...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using RootzWiki

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

Unless Gradular says otherwise, this is not for increasing internal memory in Android that the 2048 memory fix does. This is to increase one's /system partition size for the purpose of preparing to install CM10. Using this gets spare memory from a different place than the memory fix does. Gradular, correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Man, I hope there aren't too many folks running round with broken usb ports! I have seen too many folks report that they ended up with a bricked TP because they thought the TouchStone was charging when in fact it wasn't.

Edit: I went back and reread the OP and it does look like the spare memory is being stolen from the USB drive/SD card, but it is being added to the /system partition, not internal memory.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless Gradular says otherwise, this is not for increasing internal memory in Android that the 2048 memory fix does. This is to increase one's /system partition size for the purpose of preparing to install CM10. Using this gets spare memory from a different place than the memory fix does. Gradular, correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Man, I hope there aren't too many folks running round with broken usb ports! I have seen too many folks report that they ended up with a bricked TP because they thought the TouchStone was charging when in fact it wasn't.

Edit: I went back and reread the OP and it does look like the spare memory is being stolen from the USB drive/SD card, but it is being added to the /system partition, not internal memory.
Read the title, NT. Lol. Yes you can also use this to add space to the internal memory or /data partition and the cache partition if someone really needs it. But for just adding the set amount, JC's memory fixes are easier to do. My way allows you make it what size you please.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Read the title, NT. Lol. Yes you can also use this to add space to the internal memory or /data partition and the cache partition if someone really needs it. But for just adding the set amount, JC's memory fixes are easier to do. My way allows you make it what size you please.

Yup, it says /system, /data and /cache partitions. Which one of those constitutes the internal memory that starts out at around 1.5GB in size and is increased when one runs Sullin's memory fix? Or asking another way, if one runs Sullin's memory fix, which one of those three will tailor see an increase in?

Anyway, that is why I asked for clarification from you. Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, it says /system, /data and /cache partitions. Which one of those constitutes the internal memory that starts out at around 1.5GB in size and is increased when one runs Sullin's memory fix? Or asking another way, if one runs Sullin's memory fix, which one of those three will tailor see an increase in?

Anyway, that is why I asked for clarification from you. Thanks
/data is the internal memory.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Their are so many forums, I can't keep up with them. Does J C Sullin's memory fix apply to CM9 or just CM10? If so, could someone please tell me where the link is?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you have used tailor to increase the /data partition(internal memory) to 1.9GB?
At that point I had not, but I added 50 megs just to make sure their was no issues there either.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I have been reading the Webos Nation forum by rwhtby the developer of this program. Based on what I read, I have come to the conclusion this is an extremely dangerous program. One could easily brick their TouchPad to the point of not being recoverable. I would not recommend it for anyone less than the most experienced users. It is only in beta release and I doubt it will ever move to a full release because of it dangerous nature. I see no harm using it to check the size of one's partitions, but as long as the developers can provide us with the tools to maintain our Touchpads, I would stick with them. Tailor even reported I have 19mib of free space and I am not comfortable with trying to recover that back to one of my partitions.

Thanks Gradular for bringing this to the attention of those adventurous enough to try it. I'm just not one of them.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes. It can be dangerous if you mess with the boot partition, but access to that is blocked. Other then if you reboot while an operation is being performed, you'll be ok.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it's not more dangerous than ACMEInstaller (1,2,3) or ACMEUnistaller since these tools change the partition table or the partition sizes of yout touchpad to.
Exactly.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I think it's not more dangerous than ACMEInstaller (1,2,3) or ACMEUnistaller since these tools change the partition table or the partition sizes of yout touchpad too.
I disagree. The ACMEInstaller programs perform their function via a script that has been written to do specific things in a very precise and controlled manor. With Tailor on the other hand, it is possible to do things that if the person doing them does not fully understand what they are doing, can cause irreparable damage.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.