Android OS Forum banner
201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Android Lover
1,296 Posts
Guys I think it's worth reading the OP a little more. JB fonts are far harder to make than ICS, so slamming the guy with requests probably ain't gonna get anywhere, haha.

·
Android Addict
141 Posts
An update:

There are some symbols and Chinese characters which cannot be displayed by Klavika in JB. A box is displayed instead. Eg. the screenshot below is from QuickPic, there's supposed to be a check mark there. Maybe this is an issue with JB.

I've tested some other fonts from the first page intended for ICS and they don't display the wrong symbol - they simply display nothing. I'll stick with Klavika for now since it's a wonderful font and at least it shows me a box and I know there's something there rather than disappearing characters :)

Asap - nothing
Chococooky - nothing
Klavika - box
LatoV2 - nothing
NokiaPure - nothing
Roboto - nothing
SegoeWP - nothing
I don't believe it has anything to do with which OS you're running. It's the font or how it was converted to a fontpack.

If you read the OP the directions say to remove the box/symbol whatever it is to avoid showing it at all.
That symbol shows up when the font doesn't have a character assigned to whatever it's supposed to be. If the font doesn't have an assigned character for say the "&" symbol then the box shows up. I believe the OP wanted to avoid having that symbol show up at all.

A lot of fonts are incomplete fonts and don't have characters assigned to everything such as check marks, the copyright symbol and many others. A lot of fonts are just the basics: upper and lower case letters, numbers, standard punctuation and a few other standards. Finding a complete font is hard to do.

·
Android Nubcake
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Guys I think it's worth reading the OP a little more. JB fonts are far harder to make than ICS, so slamming the guy with requests probably ain't gonna get anywhere, haha.
If I may weigh in here:

I come back to check the thread every few weeks or so, and I've noticed that most of the requests people have made have been for converting a single weight of a typeface into an entire library of fonts, which is basically asking me to do the most work you can possibly ask me to do. Apologies: it's not going to happen. I am simply disinterested in making all of the different weights for any typeface, let alone one that wouldn't be considered usable. It takes a lot of effort, and I think that if you fully read the OP, you will understand why.

Chucklehead's been very nice to go through the effort of making font packs for a lot of you already, so I think he deserves a lot of gratitude for that.

As far as I'm concerned, the typefaces that I would be happy to make into font packs are typefaces that:
  1. Already have official regular, bold, italic, bold italic, light, medium, condensed, whatever variants. Most fonts don't have all of these, but the more it has, the better. At a bare minimum, the typeface has to have official regular, bold, italic, bold italic and light variants for me to seriously consider making a font pack out of it.
  2. Aren't missing a huge number of glyphs (aka, don't produce a ton of "boxes"). Glyphs are the visual representation of each letter, number, or symbol, and a lot of font designers have designed fonts with limited use in mind, or are simply lazy and have not actually made glyphs for a ton of characters that are necessary when using the font in a UI. When these fonts are used, you get a ton of "boxes" instead of characters because the font can't actually render the character, since it doesn't have a glyph.
  3. Work well in UI. Some fonts are so wide that they actually break the interfaces. It's not anyone's fault--it's just not supposed to be used for UI. This also ties into point criterion 2. If you would like to see a few examples of fonts that do work well, check out my favourites and the fonts I recommend.
  4. Are provided to me in a ZIP containing all the variants as a single direct-download link, such as Dropbox, YouSendIt, Mediafire, or your own personal hosting. I don't really care which service you use: the point is that I am not going to run around the Internet hunting down the font or any of its variants. You might be surprised what you can find if you just Bing it. (Just kidding--I use Google.)
Please keep in mind that I posted the instructions so you would know how to do it yourself. I basically gave you the keys to the kingdom. If you also want me to open the door for you, request a font that meets the above criteria. Thanks for understanding--you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for your guide and the reasoning why this hasn't worked with any of the methods I've tried. I have tried to edit the information with FontForge and it looked like everything was going to work, but of course, it bootlooped. Can someone here please adjust the metadata to conform so that I can install this font. Thank You!!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12098096/Corsiva.zip

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for this. Finally got around to pulling the trigger and loading up the SegoeUI font family as a replacement. I find it much more readable (especially at small, small sizes) than the stock Roboto font. For what it's worth, Type Light is a free alternative to Font Creator Pro for those of you like myself that may not want to pay for a piece of software to replace your system fonts:
http://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for this. Finally got around to pulling the trigger and loading up the SegoeUI font family as a replacement. I find it much more readable (especially at small, small sizes) than the stock Roboto font. For what it's worth, Type Light is a free alternative to Font Creator Pro for those of you like myself that may not want to pay for a piece of software to replace your system fonts:
http://www.cr8softwa.../typelight.html
Thank you so much for the advice!!! I didn't run across this program when I did a search for free applications. This worked for my purposes!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just flashed Lato on my Gnex running CNA 3.5...love the font. Weird issue, though - I can't type the word "gmail". As soon as I type the "m", the "g" disappears and is replaced by a comma. So an email address reads as [email protected],ail.com

It also appears that way when the word "gmail" is displayed, like within the Gmail app and within Google Talk. The icon label for Gmail on my homescreen appears fine, though.

Any thoughts? I'd love to figure this issue out, as I love the font! Thanks!

·
Average Android
206 Posts
Wow minus is absolutely horrible for file sharing! None of the files still exist, or download if they do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of klavika from the first post? Minus isnt working for me, the file "exists" but when you click download, it just cant be found. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of klavika from the first post? Minus isnt working for me, the file "exists" but when you click download, it just cant be found. Thanks in advance.
I second this???? Anyone???? OP???? Please! Would be nice to be able to get all these, but minus doesnt seem to allow downloading them.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts