Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
All android, All the time
277 Posts

Here is a compilation of many mods which I have been using for myself which I thought the community might be interested in. Please bare in mind that I am not the original creator of many of these and credits follow below. I am merely collecting them all together so they are handy for those who want them.

Of course I am open to new/not included ones, so please post and alert me to them and I will update as regularly as possible. Enjoy!

THANKS TO:
-Jjdoctor (XDA)
-CrushedD (RootzWiki)
-Snow02 (RootzWiki)
-PvyParts (XDA)
-ArrTooDeeToo (RootzWiki)
-He_stheone64 (XDA)
-Fergie716 (XDA)
-Altimax98 (RootzWiki)

Volume-rocker screen-wake
-decompile android.policy.jar and open KeyguardViewMediator.smali
-search for "WakeKeyWhenKeyguard"
-scroll down a bit and delete the two lines that start with "0x18" and "0x19"
-save and recompile

Faster soft-key UI
-decompile SystemUI.apk and navigate to smali>statusbar>policy and open KeyButtonView.smali
-search for "setDuration(J)" and there should be two instances
-in first instance find the line above it, starting with "const-wide/16 v1", change to "0x28" for medium fast or "0x0" for instant
-in second instance find the same line and change to "0x80" for medium or "0x0" for instant
-save and recompile

Get framework-res.apk to recompile
*this is hella time consuming, but gotta do what you gotta do*
-decompile framework-res.apk and then recompile without making any changes
-take note of every values folder which a plurals file gives an error from
-now navigate to each of those specific values folders and open the plurals.xml
-find line 79 (using Notes++) and add a 2nd "%" to the second "%d" so it looks like this: <item quantity="other">%d of %%d</item>
-save each one and recompile when all completed

Change carrier label (both notification pulldown and lockscreen)
-decompile framework-res.apk and navigate to res>XML>eri.xml
-search for line starting with "64 Verizon Wireless"
-change the "Verizon Wireless" to anything you want, max 16 characters
-it must be 16 characters, so fill in missing characters with spaces on either side
--Example: " Galaxy Nexus " needs 2 spaces on either side to be correct
-save and recompile

Adding MIUI battery bar and remove stock battery
-decompile SystemUI.apk and navigate to res>layout>status_bar.xml
-add this line to the bottom:
Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.BatteryBar android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="1.0px" /><br />
-should look like this:
Code:
<br />
	</LinearLayout><br />
	<com.android.systemui.statusbar.BatteryBar android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="1.0px" /><br />
</com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.PhoneStatusBarView><br />
-now, in the same file, find the line starting with "<ImageView android:id="@id/battery"" and add "android:visibility="gone"" to the end of it
-now navigate to smali>com>android>systemui>statusbar and drop the 3 smali files in there from the attached zip from folder named "MIUI Battery Bar"
-save everything and recompile
-download the BatterBarSettings.zip, extract the apk, and install as you would any other apk to enable and customize the battery bar

Replace "recents" with "search" and add long-press recents to home button and long-press voice search to search button
-decompile SystemUI.apk and navigate to res>layout>navigation_bar.xml
-search for "android:id="@id/recent_apps"" should be 2 instances
-for first instance, replace entire line with:
Code:
<br />
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.KeyButtonView android:id="@id/recent_apps" android:layout_width="80.0dip" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:src="@drawable/ic_sysbar_search" android:layout_weight="0.0" android:contentDescription="@string/accessibility_recent" systemui:keyCode="84" systemui:glowBackground="@drawable/ic_sysbar_highlight" /><br />
-for second instance, replace entire line with:
Code:
<br />
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.KeyButtonView android:id="@id/recent_apps" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="80.0dip" android:src="@drawable/ic_sysbar_search_land" android:layout_weight="0.0" android:contentDescription="@string/accessibility_recent" systemui:keyCode="84" systemui:glowBackground="@drawable/ic_sysbar_highlight_land" /><br />
-now search for "android:id="@id/home"" should be two instances, in both find and delete "systemui:keyRepeat="false""
-now navigate to res>values>public.xml
-search for "ic_sysbar_recent" change to "ic_sysbar_search" and right below it change "ic_sysbar_recent_land" to "ic_sysbar_search_land"
-finally find some icons you want and replace them in res>drawable-xhdpi and you can delete the recents ones too
-save everything and recompile

Center lockscreen slider and clock
-decompile framework-res.apk and navigate to res>layout
-drop in the two files from the attached zip from folder named "Center Lockscreen" overwriting old ones
-recompile

1% battery increments
-decompile SystemUI.apk and navigate to res>drawables
-drop in the two files from the attached zip from folder named "Percent Battery" overwriting old ones
-now find whatever battery images you want and place them in res>drawable-xhdpi
-recompile

Change color of statusbar clock and date
-decompile SystemUI.apk and navigate to res>values>styles.xml
-for clock, search for "
TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" and date search for "
TextAppearance.StatusBar.Date"
-under each, find the line starting with "
android:textColor" and change the hex value to whatever you want
--example, "ffffffff" would be white
-save and recompile

Change color of soft-key background
-decompile SystemUI.apk and navigate to res>layout>navigation_bar.xml
-find the line that starts with "<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.NavigationBarView" (should be second one)
-fine "android:background="#ff000000" and change the hex color to whatever you want
--example, "ffffffff" would be white
-save and recompile

Launcher2 modifications
-I'm not actually going to type all of this out because a fantastic guide has already been put together to hide the search bar, increase number of rows, and increase/decrease number of screens. It can be found HERE.

Attachments

·
Mr Click Click Derk
812 Posts
Great guide McD!

Suggestion: You may want to note in the Faster soft-key UI section that AOKP has that included now as of v21, so when you search for the setDuration(J) in the smali file, you'll find it, but above those two lines you won't find hex values. Roman baked that functionality in.

I remember when I had to decompile and put in like 4 or 5 mods that I really liked, and now? I just need to 7zip the reflective nav bar icons into SystemUI.apk, that's it! Crazy.

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great guide McD!

Suggestion: You may want to note in the Faster soft-key UI section that AOKP has that included now as of v21, so when you search for the setDuration(J) in the smali file, you'll find it, but above those two lines you won't find hex values. Roman baked that functionality in.

I remember when I had to decompile and put in like 4 or 5 mods that I really liked, and now? I just need to 7zip the reflective nav bar icons into SystemUI.apk, that's it! Crazy.
Thanks man. Well I made this on the assumption that it would probably most be used with roms like BuglessBeast or Redepmtion since they don't have a lot of these features. Roms like AOKP, GummyNex, Codename, etc have almost all these features already, plus like you said their files are so hacked up this guide might not even work for those. But you're right, it will probably be different on roms such as those.

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just added how to color of the soft-keys background. Obviously remember that this does not change the color of the soft-keys themselves, so you will have to replace them to contrast whatever color you choose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another mod that I love that I do with all my other edits/changes (That I take no credit for, NateModz shared it, I just use it on every ROM I run)

If you want to remove the transparency from the stock ICS status bar icons.....In the systemui.apk....values....dimens.xml​
Edit the value "
<item type="dimen" name="status_bar_icon_drawing_alpha">54.999996%</item>
and change it to 100%

this removes the shading that shows up after a second or two over the notifications you have in your status bar.​
Ill add some more as I nail them down (some of the stuff I had done on AOKP b18 seem to be fubar on b21 or I mistyped them, some I'm redoing it all now)

·
CELL TECH
1,173 Posts
THIS SHOULD BE STICKIED! Or we need a DO IT YOURSELF SUB-SECTION. please;)

Also, anyone know where i can find / add the full menu icon in the Navigation buttons? Thanks guys.

·
Wannabe Dev/Themer
591 Posts
framework-res.apk can be decompiled and recompiled using two different versions of apktool. Decompile with 1.4.2 and recompile with 1.4.3, then you don't have to add a % to all those files. Just rename the one you want to use to apktool.jar and save the other as apktool(version).jar

Use 1.4.2 to "apktool if framework-res.apk" and "apktool d " - http://dl.dropbox.co...9apktool142.jar

Use 1.4.3 to "apktool b " - http://dl.dropbox.co...9apktool143.jar

Edit2: Think I read this on some other forum, not my findings... can't remember who posted this method but it works for me!

Once you've recompiled successfully:
1. Use 7zip or equiv. to extract the contents of the .apk you just made
2. Re-zip, resign, zipalign (google if you don't know how to resign/zipalign)
3. Name framework-res.apk and make a flashable

Can't remember where I saw the mod about resizing the soft keys. Anyone point me to the right post?
http://rootzwiki.com...na-14-aokp-b25/
What I posted above will help with that too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: No life to that post lol. Love this thread, I was thinking of starting something like this but it looks like maybe I can just try to contribute to this one!

·
Android Beginner
48 Posts
framework-res.apk can be decompiled and recompiled using two different versions of apktool. Decompile with 1.4.2 and recompile with 1.4.3, then you don't have to add a % to all those files. Just rename the one you want to use to apktool.jar and save the other as apktool(version).jar

Use 1.4.2 to "apktool if framework-res.apk" and "apktool d " - http://dl.dropbox.co...9apktool142.jar

Use 1.4.3 to "apktool b " - http://dl.dropbox.co...9apktool143.jar

Edit2: Think I read this on some other forum, not my findings... can't remember who posted this method but it works for me!

Once you've recompiled successfully:
1. Use 7zip or equiv. to extract the contents of the .apk you just made
2. Re-zip, resign, zipalign (google if you don't know how to resign/zipalign)
3. Name framework-res.apk and make a flashable
Someone made a modified apktool that works fine with ICS. There's no need to use two different versions anymore. I believe it was posted in apktool's google code and re-posted at xda (where I found it...sorry I can't credit whoever made it). It's worked fine for me with 4.0.4 apk's.

argh, why are attachment's limited to 300K????

link here

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.