Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
First off, huge thanks to ViperBoy for his efforts and support for the RootzWiki community.
Second, thanks to all the crappy tutorials offered everywhere on the net, I promise not to backtrack on the command lines here
THIRD, ME, ASUS, GONZO, TUPAC, KOUSH NOR ANYONE WHO IS AFFILIATED WITH ROOTZWIKI IS RESPONSIBLE FOR A BRICKED, WARRANTY-LESS DEVICE. CHEERS
LETS DO THIS.
REQUIREMENTS.
1. ADB FOR YOUR COMPUTER (FOUND IN ANDROID SDK)
2. FASTBOOT (FOUND IN SDK IN PLATFORM-TOOLS FOLDER)
3. FULLY UPDATE OEM SOFTWARE TO THE LATEST FROM ASUS.

If you are not "Bootloader unlocked" head on over to Asus' website here.

1. Getting Unlocked

After you have installed the GUI tool offered by Asus, you will reboot into an unlocked bootloader graced Android system. They will provide you with a APK (APP) that provides a token to unlock your device.

2. Getting the files.

Now that you have opened access to the recovery partition, lets make sure you have the proper files:

Download SuperUser ZIP

Download ClockworkMod Touch Recovery

3. Device, fastboot and ADB check.

If you have not added adb or fastboot to your path, well, do it or don't worry about it.

Open your terminal window after placing the two files to your adb/fastboot folder.

Make sure the device is in debugging mode!

3a. Open a terminal and change your directory to the desired folder you placed the files.
Code:
Steves-Mac-Pro:platform-tools achilles$ adb devices<br />
List of devices attached<br />
C3OKASXXXXX device
3b. Getting the device in Fastboot mode.

POWER THE DEVICE OFF, REMOVE CABLE
While off, hold Volume down and POWER simultaneously (at same time). You will feel a vibration then like the image below you will see three lines of text. ONCE YOU SEE THE LINES POP UP, LET GO AND PRESS VOLUME DOWN.

Once you press volume down you will have three options as ordered: Wipe Data, Fastboot Protocol (USB ICON) and an Android Logo.

Press volume down once, it will highlight the USB Logo. Proceed by pressing volume up to select.

FINALLY I AM IN FASTBOOT, go ahead and tell the circus clowns to stop, the obstacles are done.

3c. Proceed to plug the device into the computer, you will now flash a recovery (CWM Touch)

In terminal type the following (you may need to add a ./ in front of fastboot):
Code:
sudo fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery name_of_your_recovery.img
Should look like this:

You now need to get the device to reboot. Type:
Code:
fastboot reboot
The device will reboot in 10 seconds, if it doesn't, hold power and it will reboot.

Great job, you now have a recovery flashed. Lets move on to root.

4. Booting into CWM recovery.

4a. Power the device off and make sure to remove cable.
4b. Hold Volume down and power together.
4c. When you see the 3 lines of text appear, hit Volume up this time. You will now boot into recovery.

5. Pushing SuperUser via ADB.

Ok you got over the hard part, now to connect the cable while in recovery. Type the following to ensure the device is connected:
Code:
adb devices
You should see something like:
Code:
Steves-Mac-Pro:platform-tools achilles$ adb devices<br />
List of devices attached<br />
C3OKASXXXXX device
Type the following:
Code:
adb push Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip /sdcard/
Once complete, choose "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" scroll ClockworkMod recovery to the bottom to make sure the file copied,

If you do not see it, push it again, you should see it now.

Select your SuperUser flashable zip and install, you are now rooted! Make sure to back up before you do anything!

Once again thanks for checking it out! Root everything!

·
Android Beginner
19 Posts
Couldn't push to /sdcard. I had to push the files manually / set permissions. I was under the impression that for some reason we didn't have "write" access to the SD card in cwm?

Does this wipe data? (the process/unlocking the bootloader) not flashing roms. duh.
No, I unlocked my bootloader today, flashed CWM, pushed SU, wiped cache / dalvik and everything seems to be in tip top shape.

·
registered table offender (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
318 Posts
Couldn't push to /sdcard. I had to push the files manually / set permissions. I was under the impression that for some reason we didn't have access to the SD card in cwm?

No, I unlocked my bootloader today, flashed CWM, pushed SU, wiped cache / dalvik and everything seems to be in tip top shape.
Great. I use my prime for schoolwork and I can't really lose all data before I back it up ^.^

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

·
Developer
1,187 Posts
Just got my Prime yesterday and am loving it so far. I do have a question though. Reading up on some other root methods, they don't work on the 9.4.2.21 OTA yet. Does this method work? I would assume so, I just want to confirm.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got my Prime yesterday and am loving it so far. I do have a question though. Reading up on some other root methods, they don't work on the 9.4.2.21 OTA yet. Does this method work? I would assume so, I just want to confirm.

Thanks!
Yes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just don't be confused, guys...

This method is the only one that can work with every stock ROM version because it's basically not a rooting process!

You UNLOCK your device. Your warranty doesn't exist anymore.

Once your device is unlocked, you gain access to fastboot. And you can flash an alternate recovery like cwm or twrp.

Then you can either just flash root files, or an alternative ROM, which are all rooted.

If you keep the stock Asus ROM and just root it, be aware that ota WILL STILL BE ACTIVE, and that you MUSTN'T accept official updates anymore. It will brick your device, as with an unlocked bootloader blob files must be repacked.

On alternative roms Asus ota is removed.

And for the super user flashing part, it would have been easier to tell people in OP to download the zip file with their tablet, to avoid the adb push delight.

For fastboot, if you ran the command line and aren't successful, before running the command again, unplug/plug your device. Fastboot is a one shot thing.

·
Technically Savvy
151 Posts
Hello just wanted to ask this just to be 100% sure. I just got my Asus Transformer Prime & I don't want to brick it. lol I see that it says "(MAC / Linux)" on the title, does this method work on Windows Vista & or Windows 7?

Sorry for the rookie question, it's just that this is the first time I ever tried to root a tablet. I just want to be 100% sure before I go & do this. I am on version 9.4.2.21 & from what I see this is the only way to root that version.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

·
Android Ninja&#33;
518 Posts
Hello just wanted to ask this just to be 100% sure. I just got my Asus Transformer Prime & I don't want to brick it. lol I see that it says "(MAC / Linux)" on the title, does this method work on Windows Vista & or Windows 7?

Sorry for the rookie question, it's just that this is the first time I ever tried to root a tablet. I just want to be 100% sure before I go & do this. I am on version 9.4.2.21 & from what I see this is the only way to root that version.

Thanks for any help on this matter.
It should work fine on Windows 7 as long as you install the Android SDK.

·
Technically Savvy
151 Posts
It should work fine on Windows 7 as long as you install the Android SDK.
Very good, thanks so much. When I get home I am going to do this.

·
Android Freak&#33;
354 Posts
Hey fellas, I got this TF201 today and have been trying viperboy and this method with no success. I'm on the latest version of ICS on the Prime (9.4.2.21). When I boot into "fastboot" and select the "USB logo" it just says "starting Fastboot USB download protocol" After I plug it into the computer (running Windows 7 with ADB install and proper files in platform-tools folder) it just gives me the screen of commands but not recovery after I reboot into recovery. I have a triangle in the "Recovery mode".. Please help.

·
Android Ninja&#33;
518 Posts
Hey fellas, I got this TF201 today and have been trying viperboy and this method with no success. I'm on the latest version of ICS on the Prime (9.4.2.21). When I boot into "fastboot" and select the "USB logo" it just says "starting Fastboot USB download protocol" After I plug it into the computer (running Windows 7 with ADB install and proper files in platform-tools folder) it just gives me the screen of commands but not recovery after I reboot into recovery. I have a triangle in the "Recovery mode".. Please help.
You unlocked your bootloader, right? If so, download the recovery image that you want to use. You can get the latest CWM touch from here or the latest TWRP from here.

Download whichever one you choose and put it in your platform-tools folder. Open a command prompt and change directories to your platform-tools folder.

Code:
<br />
cd \PathToSDK\platform-tools<br />
Then flash the recovery via fastboot:
Code:
<br />
fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery_file_name.img<br />
fastboot -i 0x0b05 reboot<br />
You should now have a custom recovery installed. Reboot while holding the volume down button and when you see the text on the screen, hit the volume up button to enter recovery. Now you can make a backup of your stock rom and flash whatever you want.

·
Android Freak&#33;
354 Posts
Thanks Jermaine151 for the repsonse, I will get back later today and try it. I tried again on my Windows XP laptop and it didn't work either. I was going to use my linux box running Ubuntu 12.04, but need to install ADB on it, but I will give this one last shot and use the commands you provided... Thanks

·
Android Freak&#33;
354 Posts
You unlocked your bootloader, right? If so, download the recovery image that you want to use. You can get the latest CWM touch from here or the latest TWRP from here.

Download whichever one you choose and put it in your platform-tools folder. Open a command prompt and change directories to your platform-tools folder.

Code:
<br />
cd \PathToSDK\platform-tools<br />
Then flash the recovery via fastboot:
Code:
<br />
fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery_file_name.img<br />
fastboot -i 0x0b05 reboot<br />
You should now have a custom recovery installed. Reboot while holding the volume down button and when you see the text on the screen, hit the volume up button to enter recovery. Now you can make a backup of your stock rom and flash whatever you want.
So I tried this again with my XP laptop and even redownloaded CWM. nothing. Every time I go into "Recovery Mode" I get an triangle with an exclamation mark in it. I'm going to try it on Ubuntu after I get ADb installed. I'm not too familiar with linux so it may be even harder. I never see the screen that says it has even attempted to install CWM as in the OP. All I see is the list of commands for fastboot. Any ideas????

·
Android Freak&#33;
354 Posts
It sounds like your bootloader isn't unlocked.
I used the app from Asus and it says unlocked at boot up. When I try to rerun the apk it gives me an error message

·
Android Freak&#33;
354 Posts
Is there another way to unlock the bootloader? Or a way to downgrade the device (its an idea don't know if it would make a difference). The status of my TFP is such: 1. unlocked with Asus official unlock app (At bootup it says this device is unlocked), 2. Stock recovery doesn't work (there is and open android laying down with a red triangle in it), and 3. No root method works with adb or viperboy mod.... As of now I have no recovery, no root and nothing seems to work to fix either..

[SOLVED]
I WAS ABLE TO GET IT TO WORK BY INSTALLING ADB ON UBUNTU AND THEN NAVIGATING INTO THE /HOME/_USERNAME_/ANDROID/PLATFORM-TOOLS/ AND ADB RECOGNIZED THE FASTBOOT COMMANDS. INSTALLED CLOCKWORK MOD SUCCESSFULLY. THANKS YA'LL FOR THE HELP REGARDLESS......

·
Android Beginner
481 Posts
Hey Fellas, ok, just got my Transformer Prime, installed update so now i'm on 9.4.2.21 (should have read forums before updating doh!). Googled how to unlock bootloader as i'm quite familiar with root process and had to unlock my GNEx's bootloader before rooting......went ahead and downloaded the tool from the ASUS website, unlocked and here I am staring at the root process and it is as if you guys were talking a different language.

I'm incredibly confused with all these methods and what not........can anybody please help me? So confused with having root regardless of a locked bootloader or not, adb and sdk files (i'm on a MAC), not being able to drop the SU file or any for that matter onto my SD Card. IDK what's what and how to go about this so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE somebody help me out, GREATLY appreciated in advance!

·
Android Ninja&#33;
518 Posts
Hey Fellas, ok, just got my Transformer Prime, installed update so now i'm on 9.4.2.21 (should have read forums before updating doh!). Googled how to unlock bootloader as i'm quite familiar with root process and had to unlock my GNEx's bootloader before rooting......went ahead and downloaded the tool from the ASUS website, unlocked and here I am staring at the root process and it is as if you guys were talking a different language.

I'm incredibly confused with all these methods and what not........can anybody please help me? So confused with having root regardless of a locked bootloader or not, adb and sdk files (i'm on a MAC), not being able to drop the SU file or any for that matter onto my SD Card. IDK what's what and how to go about this so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE somebody help me out, GREATLY appreciated in advance!
Welcome Bro! Do you have the android SDK installed on your Mac? That's the first step. Download it, extract it to your home directory, go into the "tools" subfolder of the sdk and run the file named android. Install the sdk tools and sdk platform-tools. Once you have that done, download the latest clockworkmod recovery from here: http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.4-tf201.img (or TWRP). Move that file into the sdk platform-tools folder.

Open a terminal and change directories into the sdk platform-tools folder:
Code:
<br />
cd android-sdk-linux/platform-tools<br />
Connect the tablet to your pc with the usb cable and put the tablet into fastboot mode by powering it off, then holding power and the volume down button. Wait until it says fastboot mode or something like that.

Next in the terminal flash the recovery:
Code:
<br />
sudo fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.4-tf201.img<br />
sudo fastboot -i 0x0b05 reboot<br />
Now you should have clockworkmod installed to back up your current rom, flash a root zip file, custom rom, etc. To get into recovery, power off the tablet, then hold power and the volume down button at the same time. When you see the text on the screen, hit the volume up button to enter recovery.

I hope this helps you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts