Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
DISCLAIMER: I, nor RootzWiki, are liable or responsible for any damage to your phone. This is solely the users decision to "root" their phone. Enjoy!

Root
This easy one click method is for the Windows operating system. It will work with any software on your Droid Razr or Razr MAXX.

1. On your computer, download and install the motorola usb drivers. 32bit or 64bit
2. a. FOR Gingerbread 2.3.6, On your computer, download and extract the djrbliss motofail root tool. here

2. b. FOR Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4, On your computer, download and extract the djrbliss ICS root tool. here
2. c. FOR Jelly Bean 4.1, On your computer, download and extract the djrbliss root tool. here
3. On your phone, enable USB Debugging mode (Settings > Applications > Development)
4. Connect your phone to your PC with a usb cable and select the Charge Only mode.
5. On your computer, go to the location you extracted the zip file from step #2 and double click on the run.bat file. Follow the onscreen instruction.

The original post for this tool is located here.
CREDITS: Thanks goes to Dan Rosenberg aka djrbliss for discovering this exploit and creating the root script.

Safestrap / Recovery
This will install Hashcode's safestrap app so that you can boot into recovery and flash zips and do backups and restores.

1. On your phone, enable Unknown Sources. (Settings > Applications)
2. Download the apk from here and save it to your phone's sdcard.
3. Using any file explorer on your phone, go to the apk you downloaded in previous step and click on it to install it.
4. See here on how to use safestrap.

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
I used this method yesterday and it works flawlessly. But a funny thing hapenened when I went to bed last nite. I put my phone in airplane mode and put it on the charger. when i woke up this morning all my widgets were gone. (Hd widgets and tweet deck colum) when i tried to add them again they did not show up under widgets. Had to uninstall and reinstall. A reboot did not fix the issue either.

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
I used this method yesterday and it works flawlessly. But a funny thing hapenened when I went to bed last nite. I put my phone in airplane mode and put it on the charger. when i woke up this morning all my widgets were gone. (Hd widgets and tweet deck colum) when i tried to add them again they did not show up under widgets. Had to uninstall and reinstall. A reboot did not fix the issue either.
that's strange. i haven't seen any reports of people having that problem after rooting with this method. at least it was a simple fix for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Uesd the this method and it works for me too... remember to activate bootstrapper recovery before trying to reboot into cwm recovery.

·
Average Android
155 Posts
Anyone got a blank sd card error after root? Help my buddy root his and got an sd card error and lost all his pictures and videos.

·
Android Beginner
19 Posts
mashwa74 said:
Uesd the this method and it works for me too... remember to activate bootstrapper recovery before trying to reboot into cwm recovery.
which bootstrapper are you using ? And where can I get it?

Edit: just read the entire OP and answered my own question.please disregard.

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
Anyone got a blank sd card error after root? Help my buddy root his and got an sd card error and lost all his pictures and videos.
dang. by chance, did your friend have a corporate email acct setup on there? i think it has something to do with the sdcard being encrypted when you setup a corporate email acct.

·
Average Android
155 Posts
razorloves said:
dang. by chance, did your friend have a corporate email acct setup on there? i think it has something to do with the sdcard being encrypted when you setup a corporate email acct.
No he doesn't. I have a feeling that it might just be a bad sdcard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does this method work for a soft brick? Lets say from a bad flash?

Perform a factory reset using external keys

1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + PWR KEY . 2. The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS 3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT 4. Select Recovery 5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark 6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen 7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background . 8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the PWR Key to SELECT the option desired . 9. In this case ,press the VOL DOWN key till the Wipe data / factory reset is selected and press the PWR key to confirm the selection . 10. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press the PWR key to CONFIRM . 11. The device will then start performing the Factory Data Reset 12. Once the Formatting is complete , press the PWR key to confirm a REBOOT 13. The message rebooting is displayed on the phone. 14. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
konellaz said:

1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + PWR KEY . 2. The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS 3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT 4. Select Recovery 5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark 6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen 7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background . 8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the PWR Key to SELECT the option desired . 9. In this case ,press the VOL DOWN key till the Wipe data / factory reset is selected and press the PWR key to confirm the selection . 10. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press the PWR key to CONFIRM . 11. The device will then start performing the Factory Data Reset 12. Once the Formatting is complete , press the PWR key to confirm a REBOOT 13. The message rebooting is displayed on the phone. 14. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .
This thread is for rooting your phone. Rooting does not fix a soft brick.

·
Android Lover
429 Posts
konellaz said:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
So just copy and paste your question in the general Razr forum for an answer. I wish I had an answer but I'd like to see one

Typed with my Root3d RAZR

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone help out a noob here? I've followed the steps to root but all I get is a bunch of "The system cannot find the path specified." lines. What should I do?? I've installed the Motorola drivers, made sure I put debugging and charge only on..so, help?

·
Android Lover
429 Posts
xp0cky said:
Can someone help out a noob here? I've followed the steps to root but all I get is a bunch of "The system cannot find the path specified." lines. What should I do?? I've installed the Motorola drivers, made sure I put debugging and charge only on..so, help?
You are using the doom lords root right? The drivers are not needed. I didn't have drivers on my lap top and I've rooted 2 Razrs. Just connect to your computer and open up the app on your desktop and hit any key. You should be good

Sent from my RAZR SHARP RAZRX ROM

·
Android Apprentice
84 Posts
You need to also make sure ADB has installed when installing Drivers, you can check on your PC (when phone is connected) in Device manager. Once there, look for something like 'Moto ADB' or Android ADB etc. If not there try uninstalling Drivers and reinstall. Use the latest drivers from Moto site W/Moto Helper.
Also make sure you have extracted the root file, preferably to your desktop, before running the tool. Stick with it, you'll be rewarded and learn something

1 - 20 of 45 Posts