Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Android Groupee
170 Posts
Credits
xoomdev for his 5.5.0.4 CWM Recovery.
codeworkx for 5.5.0.4 CWM Recovery. <------ Recommended
nycbjr for the CWM Root and the TWRP Touch Recovery.
jcase for the Unsecured Boot Images.
imnuts for espresso_recovery.tar.md5 with unsecured boot.img without recovery overwrite.
Team Win Recovery Project (link) for their work on the TWRP Recovery.

Files
espressowifi-recovery-5-18.tar.md5 - Use if running UEALCB, UEALD3 or UEBLG2 firmware out of the box. (xoomdev)

espresso_recovery.tar.md5 - Use if tablet has been updated OTA to UEALD3, or has UEALD3 and not sure if it was updated OTA. Includes insecure UEALD3 boot.img w/o recovery overwrite. (imnuts)

ueblg2_espressowifi_recovery.tar.md5 - Use if tablet has been updated OTA to UEBLG2, or has UEBLG2 and not sure if it was updated OTA. Includes insecure UEBLG2 boot.img without recovery overwrite. (winterwar)

ueblg5_espressowifi_recovery.tar.md5 - Use if tablet has been updated OTA to UEBLG5, or has UEBLG5 and not sure if it was updated OTA. Includes insecure UEBLG5 boot.img without recovery overwrite and codeworkx 5.5.0.4 recovery. (winterwar)

ueblh1_espressowifi_recovery.tar.md5 - Use if tablet has UEBLH1 installed. Includes insecure UEBLH1 boot.img without recovery overwrite and codeworkx 6.0.1.0 recovery.

ueblh2_espressowifi_recovery.tar.md5 - Use if tablet has UEBLH2 installed. Includes insecure UEBLH2 boot.img without recovery overwrite and codeworkx 6.0.1.0 recovery.

Download cwm-root-gtab2.zip (nycbjr)

Download Odin3-v1.85_3.zip

Samsung Drivers - Not required if you have Samsung Kies installed. These are the same drivers that are included with Kies.

Root
Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to the ROOT of your sdcard ( /mnt/extSdCard ). This is the sdcard in the slot. The /mnt/sdcard folder is in the internal memory and isn't recognized by xoomdev's recovery.

Turn off your tablet and restart it in download mode by pushing and holding down the Power and Volume DOWN buttons at the same time. Push the Volume UP to get into download mode. Don't plug the tablet into the computer yet.

If you installed Samsung's Kies software, make sure it is closed and not running.

Extract Odin3 v1.85.exe and run it.

Connect the tablet to the computer.

The first box under ID:COM will be yellow and shows the current com port you are connected to. If you can't connect, try another USB port.

In Odin, click the PDA button. Select the *.tar.md5 file you downloaded above and click the START button. Let Odin do it's thing. When it's done, the tablet will reboot.

Disconnect the tablet from the computer. Turn the tablet off and restart it in recovery mode by pushing and holding the Power and Volume UP buttons at the same time.

Once you are in recovery, use the volume button to scroll up/down and the power button to select an option. Select install zip from sdcard. Choose the cwm-root-gtab2.zip file you already copied to the root of the sdcard.

When the rooting is finished, choose reboot system now in the recovery menu.

That's it. If everything went well, you should now be rooted.

Optional Flashable Recoverys
Flash these zip files through recovery manager.

codeworkx_recovery.zip - Latest Clockwork Recovery from codeworkx.

twrp-recovery-gt3110.zip - TWRP Touch Recovery from nycbjr and TWRP.

espressowifi-recovery-5-18.zip - Recovery included in tar packages from xoomdev.

(!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
how long its should take to finish this step?

"In Odin, click the PDA button. Select the recovery.tar.md5 file you downloaded and click the START button. Let Odin do it's thing. When it's done, the tablet will reboot."

The message is still

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Added!!

EDIT: its ok now.

Thanks.

·
Android Groupee
170 Posts
how long its should take to finish this step?

"In Odin, click the PDA button. Select the recovery.tar.md5 file you downloaded and click the START button. Let Odin do it's thing. When it's done, the tablet will reboot."

The message is still

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Added!!

EDIT: its ok now.

Thanks.
EDIT:
The Odin output above is the result if you weren't connected to the tablet. Make sure that the first box under ID:COM is yellow and shows the com port you are connected to.

That process should only take a few seconds to finish. It sounds like you were finally able to get connected and download completed without error. No need for Odin after that.

·
Android Groupee
170 Posts
Thank you, Winterwar!! Worked perfect. Question:

My Tab came with [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]UEALD3, do I now have to do the steps in this thread to keep CWM? ([/background]http://rootzwiki.com...very-overwrite/)

-Dave
That's the same firmware that my GT2 came with and it hasn't been a problem. From what I understand, the thread above by jcase only applies if your tablet received a firmware update after you got it. If you had UEALCB originally and it updated to UEALD3, then you would need to follow his directions.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noob problem here.
I followed the directions step by step, but get "E:signature verification failed" in the system recovery mode.

<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Removed!!

I updated from P3113UEALCB to P3113UEALD3 before attempting root, does that make any difference? I have tried multiple times with the same results. I apologize if this is a stupid question, I appreciate any help. Thanks.
(im off to work now, but will check back ASAP)

·
Registered
5 Posts
That process should only take a few seconds to finish. It looks like your download completed without error, and the tablet should have rebooted. No need for Odin after that.

How long did yours take?
it's okay now.. i'm just stupid to hit start in odin even though the connection to the device is not yet confirmed (that's why the Added!! part is in last).

mine is rooted now thanks to your guide.

but not before doing this first http://rootzwiki.com/topic/24762-stopping-recovery-overwrite/

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's the same firmware that my GT2 came with and it hasn't been a problem. From what I understand, the thread above by jcase only applies if your tablet received a firmware update after you got it. If you had UEALCB originally and it updated to UEALD3, then you would need to follow his directions.

yup, you need to do that first if you updated to UEALD3.

just did that and followed this guide and my device is now rooted.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Seems like you're right, so far. :) Thanks.

·
Android Groupee
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noob problem here.
I followed the directions step by step, but get "E:signature verification failed" in the system recovery mode.

<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Removed!!

I updated from P3113UEALCB to P3113UEALD3 before attempting root, does that make any difference? I have tried multiple times with the same results. I apologize if this is a stupid question, I appreciate any help. Thanks.
(im off to work now, but will check back ASAP)
The CWM Recovery is installing, but it's being over written by the stock recovery. This happens if you have updated using the OTA prior to rooting. Follow jcase's thread at this link to fix the problem: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/24762-stopping-recovery-overwrite/

If you need Heimdall, you can download it here: http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Reactions: Monte2

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
I rooted last night but have made no changes as of yet, how do I actually know I am rooted? The only indication is the word modified under device status.
When I put a ROM on the tablet is it done just like the Thunderbolt? That is place the ROM zip on the Ext SD card and after restarting in Recovery follow the path to loading the file. Is that right?

·
Android Groupee
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I rooted last night but have made no changes as of yet, how do I actually know I am rooted? The only indication is the word modified under device status.
When I put a ROM on the tablet is it done just like the Thunderbolt? That is place the ROM zip on the Ext SD card and after restarting in Recovery follow the path to loading the file. Is that right?
Look in your apps and see if SuperUser is installed. Installing a new ROM is just like on the Thunderbolt.

·
Average Android
192 Posts
Guess I am not allowed root. Colored steps but can't get into clockwork....always android recovery....any pointers?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

·
Average Android
192 Posts
Tried the stop recovery override but it always says header has wrong file size

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Thank you for the assistance in rooting this tablet. I did the deed about 24 hours ago and though I have not loaded a new ROM yet I will as soon as I see a stable ROM that appeals to me. I recommend rooting to anyone who is reluctant, just follow the sequence carefully.
Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.