Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
I'm not having much luck getting the To: line sorted out but i'm confident i'll figure something out - for now we can get rid of it during a conversation. For the time being we'll have to deal with it while typing out a recipient's name in landscape during message creation.

So here's the partial fix - open up compose_message_activity and go to line 22. At the very end of the line you'll see:

android:imeOptions="actionSend|flagNoEnterAction"

Change it to

android:imeOptions="flagNoExtractUi"

For those curious about learning what's going on, read all about it here:

http://developer.and...een-inputs.html
I was just going to add that you can change it if you theme the keyboard, but this method is much easier.

Great thread by the way! Thanks for taking the time to do this. The basic principals can be use for theming any APK really. Obviously the names, and specific lines will not be the same, but the general idea is.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Currently, the stock dialer background has a grayish/blue color....would like to make it darker (maybe not completely black, but if black is easiest then so be it) and also keep the diagonal texture lines....If they are tied together, then hopefully, the contacts background would follow with the same color.

Or....seeing as I'm on a stock (non-T9) dialer, could a currently made darkended T9 dialer be flashed over it?

Thanks!
The dialer you see when you open the phone is controlled by the Contacts.apk. The one you see if you open the dial pad while in a call is the Phone.apk.

The image I referenced should be what your looking for.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
thanks for the guide..really helpful but im running into some problems..i tried theming recv_bg.9 and sent_bg.9 using the correct size and everything but after i flash mms.apk and test it..the graphics (bubbles) came out all weird..see ss's for example..the 1st one is before and the 2nd one is after

These are .9 images, so you need to draw a .9 patch, and compile them, so they stretch properly.

See here

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/draw9patch.html

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
fantastic write up, thank you so much.
I have been playing with my mms for the last 2 days customizing it to how i like it all thanks to you.
but i keep having a bit of a problem.
the conversation list (when you first open mms, with the list of all the txts)
i cant seem to get it to black.
I've read this write up at least 4 times, to understand all the little things.
ive tried changing the background color to @color/black" ive tried it with #ff000000" (not sure if thats the proper script for it right now, but ive used examples from xml;s to make sure its written right)
and even added a resource into colors.xml and made my own, but still no go.
any insight?

thanks again for all your work.
Did you change the hex for unread_bgcolor, and read_bgcolor, in the colors.xml? I usually use #ff292929 for unread, and #ff000000 for read.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
View attachment 28550

ok the timestamp in that ss is...

text_hairline?

or??
Yes, and no.

it is actually controlled by the layout XML's message_list_item_recv.xml and message_list_item_send.xml. Look fo the line that has android:id="@id/date_view"

I say yes because the default is to point the date text color to "text_hairline". You could change the hairline, but that will change anything looking at that value.

Instead, change it in these xml's to point to any hex value you want, if you wanted to only change the time stamp, or make sent and recv different colors.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
ahh ok

<TextView android:textAppearance="?android:textAppearanceSmall" android:textColor="@color/text_hairline" android:id="@id/date_view"

change text_hairline to say #ffffffff if white was my desired color
Correct.

It should look like this when your done.

Code:
<br />
android:textColor="#ffffffff"<br />

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
ya of course... cool thx, i mistakenly changed all of them to white when i wanted to leave the timestamp stuff

now...

any ideas on how to change the black background to a solid black not the gradient one?

oh and the annoying white line above the txt input box
That depends What did you use to change it to the gradient?

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
listitem_background

Code:
<br />
xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"><br />
	<item android:state_selected="true" android:drawable="@android:color/transparent" /><br />
	<item android:state_selected="false" android:state_pressed="true" android:drawable="@android:color/transparent" /><br />
	<item android:state_selected="false" android:drawable="@android:color/transparent" />
i should make the transparent in line 6 ... black?
JB or ICS? That changed in JB

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
In JB, Google changed the way the sent and received items are used. They look at an image instead of the [background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]l[/background][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]istitem_background.xml.[/background]

You'll need to change these lines in the message_list_item_recv.xml and message_list_item_send.xml XML's, to hex for black.

Code:
<br />
android:background="@drawable/hairline_left"<br />
Code:
<br />
android:background="@drawable/hairline_right"<br />
You'll also need to edit the compose_message_activity.xml

Add This anywhere in the second line.

Code:
<br />
android:background="#ff000000"<br />
Then you'll also have to edit the background hex, and text colors that are in the bottom of that same xml.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
There are a few other things that are new.

One thing is the recipient now uses whats called a chip. It is controlled by source code instead of a layout xml, so there's no way to change the text color easily. This causes it to be black on black.

What you can do is edit the image that shows behind the chip. It is in the drawable-xhdpi folder, named chip_background.9.png (it is slightly transparent, so you'll have to make it solid.)

Also, to change the text color in the recipient pop up menu, change it in list_item_font_secondary.xml and list_item_font_primary.xml

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
In Styles.XML under where it has the theme.holo. there are three xml's the second one is what I changed to #ff000000.

Sent From My Toro+ via SkyBlue Tapatalk

Attached my Styles.xml for compare.
weird, all that says is text colors. I wonder why they would use those for the bottom bar.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
That's weird... it changed for me. All I did was edit the styles. Hmm then again my theme gets rid of that gray in settings maybe its grabbing that? And no the icons are in drawable-xhdpi.

Sent From My Toro+ via SkyBlue Tapatalk
Ah ok, your running a theme. Its changing it for you because it is calling for a style in your themed framework-res.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
JB..using mms with emojis
I wasn't aware of a JB Mms with emoji. What rom is it from?

Anyways, back to your original questions.

JB introduced images for the sent and recv background. All you have to do is rename the sent.9.png and recv.9.png to their correct new image name.

Rename "sent.9.png" to "hairline_right.9.png"

Rename "recv.9.png" to "hairline_left.9.png"

Put those images in the Drawable-xhdpi folder, and you have bubbles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.