Android OS Forum banner
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
The Jittery Gentleman
1,760 Posts
When you say decompile what do you mean? Maybe I did that wrong? And I can't use notepad++, I am using a Mac (running newest OS).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Ah so did you use apktool to decompile the app or just unzip/extract it? If you do not properly decompile it by using apktool all the xmls will not be able to be read or understood. Usually you issue a command using apktool like "apktool -d Mms.apk" or something like that. Been awhile honestly. That's why I just stick to building from source now haha.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

·
Registered
294 Posts
I didn't use apktool because I can't get it to install on my Mac.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
I didn't use apktool because I can't get it to install on my Mac.

There no need to install it. Just download the latest apktool, get the sdk for mac, and use the newest aapt out of it.

Then ll you have to do it make sure they are in the same folder, go to that folder in terminal, and use the commands.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I appreciate the help guys, I figured out the issue I was having earlier, but now I can't get the Mms app to install. I have tried traditional install and replacing the Mms in the system/app but when I change permissions and reboot I have no Mms app when it boots up.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This thread is awesome! Thanks to everyone.

Right now I'm struggling trying to get a couple things themed.

First I want to know is there a way to change the text colors in the message list for unread messages.

Second I'm looking for a way to change the text color for my contact names when composing a new message.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! amazing find and something related to which i wanted to do. Could you please help me in editing so i can change the text size? you know that the stock mms has huge font size and its really annoying. i've tried many custom rom but i like the features which the stock rom. e.g., it activates the call when youre in reading a text and you take the phone near your ear and it dials.

I tried to find the xml which is responsible for font size but failed. any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Most of the text sizes are set in the layouts.xmls

for example, the size of the text you received is in message_list_item_recv.xml in this line. You'll just have to look in each layout for text sizes, and set it to whatever you want.

Code:
<br />
<TextView android:textAppearance="?android:textAppearanceSmall" android:textSize="16.0sp" android:textColor="@color/message_received" android:autoLink="all" android:linksClickable="false" android:id="@id/text_view" android:paddingLeft="@dimen/message_item_text_padding_left_right" android:paddingTop="@dimen/message_item_text_padding_top" android:paddingRight="@dimen/message_item_text_padding_left_right" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" /><br />

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Schoat - I been running 4.0.2 forever now and got curious and switched to 4.2.2 and my themed mms.apk won't work. The factory system is odexed, but my themed apk is deodexed. In the past when running other's themed apks I never had issues with mixing the two. I've read that as long as the framework is odexed you can run odexed and deodexed together.

Is that where my problem is? I renamed my Mms.apk and odex files and moved my themed Mms over but it doesn't show up in the app tray. Also tried rebooting and wiping dalvik but no go.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Schoat - I been running 4.0.2 forever now and got curious and switched to 4.2.2 and my themed mms.apk won't work. The factory system is odexed, but my themed apk is deodexed. In the past when running other's themed apks I never had issues with mixing the two. I've read that as long as the framework is odexed you can run odexed and deodexed together.

Is that where my problem is? I renamed my Mms.apk and odex files and moved my themed Mms over but it doesn't show up in the app tray. Also tried rebooting and wiping dalvik but no go.
I don't think the problem is odex vs deodex, that should be fine.

I have come across this quite often with 4.2 and up anytime I try to manuall move something into the system/app folder, because it does a file system check on every boot.

Check the permissions on you Mms.apk, and make sure they are rw-r--r--. If they are, and its still not working, try putting it in a flashable zip and flashing in recovery.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
The permissions are rw-rw-r and just for shiggles i changed it to rw-r-r but no difference.

If I push the file over with adb while the phone is in recovery would that be the equivalent of using a flashable zip? I'd have to do some reading to remind myself but I remember how to do it with adb.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
The permissions are rw-rw-r and just for shiggles i changed it to rw-r-r but no difference.

If I push the file over with adb while the phone is in recovery would that be the equivalent of using a flashable zip? I'd have to do some reading to remind myself but I remember how to do it with adb.
Yep, you would basically be doing the same thing that the script in the flash able zip is doing with ADB commands.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RootzWiki

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since I already had the file copied into the /system/app dir, I just rebooted it into recovery and mounted /system and then renamed the apk and odex to .old and renamed my file to .apk.

Still no go when it rebooted. Man I am really not looking forward to starting over with an apk from 4.2.2.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
I wonder how much is changed? I had the idea to just deodex the 4.2.2 apk, decompile and copy all my edits from the earlier apk and cross my fingers it works if it will even go back together.

·
Archaic Device Reviver
342 Posts
Oi!

Im using this how-to as kind of a guide to customizing my mms.apk on another phone.

Im running into a brickwall with one thing -- when the attach button is pressed, the attach menu comes up. It has been blacked out in the background, but the text hasnt been changed to white. I've gone through all the attach xml's but havent made any progress. I was wondering if you might take a look to see if you can spot anything?

Cheers in advance. :)

http://d-h.st/f8O

Attachments

181 - 197 of 197 Posts