Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok I know what to do to fix it but it's not working on the To line, only on the text line. So if you're in a conversation and you turn it sideways you're good, it doesn't pop to that full screen nonsense. But if you're composing a new message in landscape any time you're trying to enter text into the "To:" entry box it becomes fullscreen with the white box. Trying to figure out a way to get both working and then I will post the fix here and update the guide.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm not having much luck getting the To: line sorted out but i'm confident i'll figure something out - for now we can get rid of it during a conversation. For the time being we'll have to deal with it while typing out a recipient's name in landscape during message creation.

So here's the partial fix - open up compose_message_activity and go to line 22. At the very end of the line you'll see:

android:imeOptions="actionSend|flagNoEnterAction"

Change it to

android:imeOptions="flagNoExtractUi"

For those curious about learning what's going on, read all about it here:

http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/on-screen-inputs.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey i have been trying to change the sent message color from the color white to a blue color, but i enter the hex color and save it then rebuilt my apk but when i go to install the app again nothing happens and it stays white. Any help would be great

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not having much luck getting the To: line sorted out but i'm confident i'll figure something out - for now we can get rid of it during a conversation. For the time being we'll have to deal with it while typing out a recipient's name in landscape during message creation.

So here's the partial fix - open up compose_message_activity and go to line 22. At the very end of the line you'll see:

Change it to

http://developer.and...een-inputs.html
tried this and did not notice a change =(.... thank you! Do you have any other ideas? I was given the idea to edit this line...

compose_message_activity.xml line 2 LinearLayout, add the line

Code:

android:background="#000000" android:textColor="#ffffff"

this this also.. no change...=(

·
Themer
1,078 Posts

Change it to

I was just going to add that you can change it if you theme the keyboard, but this method is much easier.

Great thread by the way! Thanks for taking the time to do this. The basic principals can be use for theming any APK really. Obviously the names, and specific lines will not be the same, but the general idea is.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I did exactly what he said, recompiled and zip installed in recovery after wiping cache and dav and still have the white text box when i go to landscape and press on the black text box at the bottom to start typing.. =( ugg...even the ugly send button is there.. would be nice to theme that whole window...

the text he posted lined up perfectly with what I had in my xml file.. i dont get it..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don't know why then ars0n. It works here. You are removing the actionSend| from it, right? What rom are you on?

I still have nothing on removing the full screen from the recipients editor. I don't believe it's going to be possible to remove it by the xml layout. I'm still pretty green on the coding side of things but from looking at what's being used in that xml I believe the change will have to be made in the recipients_editor.java file in the source, or possibly in the IME framework (just a guess, haven't looked). The things I've tried either result in no change or a crash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I was just going to add that you can change it if you theme the keyboard, but this method is much easier.

Great thread by the way! Thanks for taking the time to do this. The basic principals can be use for theming any APK really. Obviously the names, and specific lines will not be the same, but the general idea is.
You're welcome! When I started making notes I soon got to thinking - why hoard them away and not share when others could learn? As you said it can be applied across a spectrum of other projects which can really help you get motivated to learn more impressive things, like editing the source or even writing your own app someday.

When you say change it by theming the keyboard, are you referring to both options or just the text entry at the bottom?

·
Sigmund Droid
62 Posts
Im having a HELLUVA time getting my notepad++ to show me .xml. I have tried many different things to get it but it just wants to show me boxes and gibberish. Can anyone help with the setup of notepad++ or at least tell me what I am doing wrong?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You're not decompiling your apk first. It's not readable until you use apktool or another similar tool to decompile it. Some people use apk-multitool ( http://apkmultitool.com/?q=node/5 ) but I like apktool so i'll give a quick run down on it. If you want o use the other you'll have to google as I haven't actually used it.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1427959

http://code.google.c...ar.bz2&can=2&q=

Download aapt.exe and apktool.bat from the xda link above. Download the latest apktool from the google link. Put them all into a folder together and put your Mms.apk into that folder, too. Get your framework-res.apk off your phone also, and put it into the same folder. I don't think this step is necessary for your Mms app but I may be wrong, but do this anyway in case you try other apks in the future. Open a command prompt from within that folder. In Windows 7, hold down shift and left click and choose open command windows here, otherwise you'll have to open it from the start menu using run and browse to your folder manually. Type "apktool if framework-res.apk". That will install your framework for apktool to decompile against. It's needed for some apks and for some it isn't, we won't get into that right now. After it's done type "apktool d Mms.apk" and it will place a folder named Mms into that directory with your other files. The files you're looking to edit will be in that Mms folder.

When you're done editing type "apktool b Mms", leave off the .apk extension. This will re-build the apk with your changes intact. Some people do this next step a little differently so try whichever way you're more comfortable with. After you rebuild the apk there will be 2 folders inside the Mms folder named "dist" and "build". If you look in "dist" you will have your modified and ready to go (needs to be signed) apk. If you look in the build folder there will be another folder called apk, and in that are the new files you need to place inside the original apk using something like 7zip or whatever other tool you like that doesn't break the signature. I use signapk to resign my apk. Some take the changed files and open the original apk and place the modified files into it. The finished product has to have a signature so pick whichever way works for you. The few times I tried the placing the files into the original apk method it failed for me so I learned how to use signapk.

To sign the apk using signapk go here - http://www.londatiga...-apk-zip-files/ and scroll past the part about creating your own key to the section under the screenshot. Pay attention to the part about installing java, if it's not already, and download the signapk package. Extract it wherever you like and put your apk file in the folder with it and sign it using this command at the command prompt. Remember to be in the folder with your signapk files and soon to be signed apk -

java -jar signapk.jar certificate.pem key.pk8 Mms.apk Mmssigned.apk

Mmssigned.apk will be your signed, completed apk. Remember it has to be named Mms.apk (case sensitive) once it's back in the /system/app directory on your phone in order for it to show up and work.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Change it to

Thank you for the tip, I now have the look I've always wanted to go with my theme. :)

Post Edited.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The actionSend is unnecessary as the enter key isn't on the keyboard which would also make flagNoEnterAction unnecessary. The flagNoEnterAction option tells the IME that the action should not be available on the enter key. That's from the android documentation BUT if you want the Enter key on your keyboard, you can make it appear by changing the inputType that is just before the imeOptions:

android:inputType="textCapSentences|textAutoCorrect|textMultiLine|textShortMessage"

Remove |textShortMessage to get the enter key back but it will remove the smiley key. Contradictory to what is written above, having flagNoEnterAction doesn't appear to affect the behavior of the enter key. There may be limitations on how long your text message can be after removing that option so use at your own discretion. I just toyed around with it for a little while but haven't tested it out thoroughly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You're welcome. Hope it helped you lots :)

For now we're stuck with the recipients editor as it is. I'm about to lose a lot of my free time so I won't be able to keep tinkering and trying things that I feel aren't going to work. I'm 99% certain to change anything about where you enter the contact name you would have to be able to edit the source code for the recipients editor. If anyone knows any different or can do it and wants to share then great. But for now I'm going to have to put it down for a bit. I will eventually figure it out and I will share the info when I do.

·
Themer
449 Posts
Reading the OP. which is fantastic, I didn't see these two edits

To change the color of the text for Unread Count in the Activity Bar when you go into MMS.

open:
/res/layout/conversation_list_actionbar.xml

Edit the <TextView> line and look for Android:textColor="#cc... and change to the color of your choosing.

To edit the color of your message count for a Contact

open:
/res/values/colors.xml

edit line that says message_count_color">66... and change color to your flavor.

Using this in combo of what OP just post in message after mine can get you all kinds of combo's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The info is there, it's in NEXT SECTION - /res/values/colors.xml You guys must've skimmed over it.

You can actually change that in few different locations. The easiest and most obvious way to do it is to go into your /res/values dir and open your colors.xml. Default and untouched it will read:

<color name="unread_bgcolor">#ffffffff</color>
<color name="read_bgcolor">#ffeeeeee</color>

It can also be edited in your /res/drawable dir using conversation_list_item_background_read and conversation_list_item_background_unread. On line 6 of those files there is:

android:drawable="@color/read_bgcolor" (or unread depending on the file)

This is where it looks into the colors xml file and uses the color that is defined there. You could specify a color here but why do it that way when you can just edit it in the colors. Plus editing it in /drawable will affect the transparency you get when you long press and it does the light to dark blue glow.

Woops. Edited mistake.

The logical place to change it is in the colors.xml file and that way all other references don't need to be edited or cause problems elsewhere, etc.

·
For Us By Us
287 Posts
If I wanted to have the ics system background (the fading black), would I use @android:color/transparent for the list item background?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.