Android OS Forum banner
141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I hiope somebody can help me here.
I try to change the BG to transparent or better to show the "Theme.Holo"

Where can i find the solution?? I search for a long time and cant find it. The BG of the open Message is changed but not the list. Pls help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome write up, thanks for the work.
One issue I have (I'm not using an apk I modded myself, it's an apk someone else modded, I'm just trying to tweak it)

So it's an inverted APK (Everything is black, white/grey/holo text) when scrolling up in a conversation there is a white box underneath the avatar image, it spans from the bottom of the avatar image to the top of the text box below it. can't seem to find the problem anywhere, any ideas ?

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
Awesome write up, thanks for the work.
One issue I have (I'm not using an apk I modded myself, it's an apk someone else modded, I'm just trying to tweak it)

So it's an inverted APK (Everything is black, white/grey/holo text) when scrolling up in a conversation there is a white box underneath the avatar image, it spans from the bottom of the avatar image to the top of the text box below it. can't seem to find the problem anywhere, any ideas ?
Make sure you have android:background="#ff000000" somewhere in the second line of these two xml's.

message_list_item_recv.xml
message_list_item_send.xml

·
Registered
7 Posts
android:background="#00000000" is in the second line of both xml documents.
I've tried running a full text search for "White" and "#ff" but can't see anything other than white text, I might try changing all the ff's to 00's just to see if that solves the block problem ( I know all the text will be black, but then I can change them back one by one to cap the problem :) )

I also have android:background="@drawable/listitem_background" several times in those xml's and then

<item android:state_selected="true" android:drawable="@android:color/transparent" />
<item android:state_selected="false" android:state_pressed="true" android:drawable="@android:color/transparent" />
<item android:state_selected="false" android:drawable="@android:color/black" />

in the "drawable/listitem_background" xml. (color/black, is also referencing #00000000) so it's not that that's the problem.

one thing I did notice, is that in landscape, the message entry field is white, I never use landscape so that's not an issue, but it could be the cause of the other problem, so I'll fix that too just to see.

Any other ideas would be good though, thanks :)

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
android:background="#00000000" is in the second line of both xml documents.
#00000000 is transparent, so basically whatever is behind it will show through. In this case, it seems the avatar box stretches in white for some reason.

You need to change it to opaque black. This is designated by the first two digits of the hex. You'll want #ff000000 for full opaque black.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ah, forgot about the transparency, I'll give that a shot. seem to be having issues with the signing at the moment, it won't run my modded app now, it's suggesting it's not installed but fails to install it... gah, I'll try creating a new license and see if that helps.

I've also added a black background to the avatar lines in send and message_list_item_recv.xml. hopefully one of them will do the trick.
You don't sign system apps. You flash them. Or place them in /system/app and set permissions.
Sent From My Toro+ via RED Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
well when I didn't sign it, it wouldn't run, so I uninstalled the old version, signed the new modded one and then it installed.
Also when I replaced the modded version over the old original 'modded by someone else version', it wouldn't run until I'd uninstalled the old ('modded by someone else version') and installed the new one (signed with test cert) however, once the modded version (signed with the test cert) is installed, I can modify it, and replace it without having to uninstall the old one.

If that makes sense. so for whatever reason, maybe the other guy signed it in the first place and that created a conflict ( the system thought I'd replaced a signed app with an unsigned app and didn't recognize that it was installed )...

I could try uninstalling it and then installing an unsigned version. but it's working now anyway :)

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
well when I didn't sign it, it wouldn't run, so I uninstalled the old version, signed the new modded one and then it installed.
Also when I replaced the modded version over the old original 'modded by someone else version', it wouldn't run until I'd uninstalled the old ('modded by someone else version') and installed the new one (signed with test cert) however, once the modded version (signed with the test cert) is installed, I can modify it, and replace it without having to uninstall the old one.

If that makes sense. so for whatever reason, maybe the other guy signed it in the first place and that created a conflict ( the system thought I'd replaced a signed app with an unsigned app and didn't recognize that it was installed )...

I could try uninstalling it and then installing an unsigned version. but it's working now anyway :)
Just to confirm, you shouldn't be uninstalling or re-installing at all. The correct method is to put it in a flashable zip that you then flash in recovery. This will overwrite the Mms.apk that is in your /system/app folder.

Signing it will allow you to actually install it from within Android itself, but that will put it in the /data/app folder, and may cause some conflict because you will then have the same apk in system/app and data/app.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hmm, it didn't put it in data/app when I installed it (I did put it in system/app and install from there though. anywho, as I said, it wasn't allowing me to run it at all just by replacing the existing Mms.apk file, I had to uninstall the old one and then install the new one. don't know why, but that's what happened. :)

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
hmm, it didn't put it in data/app when I installed it (I did put it in system/app and install from there though. anywho, as I said, it wasn't allowing me to run it at all just by replacing the existing Mms.apk file, I had to uninstall the old one and then install the new one. don't know why, but that's what happened. :)
That doesn't make sense. How did you put it in system/app, and then install it? If you put it in system/app, you don't need to install anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's what happened:

I wanted to replace the mms apk with a modded version I downloaded, so I uninstalled the currently installed version
Then I copied the mms.apk to the system/app folder, tapped it, and it installed "Installing... install successful"

that copy had the bug I mentioned above, so I modified it, pasted it into system/app and found the app wouldn't run at all
I recompiled the app and signed it with the test cert, copied it back into the system/app folder, again it wouldn't run

I uninstalled the mms app, then copied the new compiled/signed mms.apk to system/app and tapped it, again it installed successfully.

Now it opens fine.

to modify the app further, all I need to do is unpack, modify, rebuild, sign and paste into the system/app folder without uninstalling/installing again.

that's how it IS working for me.

I understand that system apps don't need signing, but I can only assume that the modded version I downloaded was signed, hence replacing the stock mms with the new modified one would have caused a problem. now I could have flashed modified app I downloaded and tweaked myself without signing it, but this is the first time I've modified any apk. so I learned a fair bit, and worked around a few problems.

I know in future, that if I download a system apk, I can just rebuild it to remove the cert (if the dev signed it) and replace the currently installed version without needing to install it. but to be fair, none of this took any real effort anyway :)

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
You should never uninstall, delete, or drag and drop any system apps. You should only flash new versions of them from recovery.

This is especially true in Jelly Bean, as it does some sort of file check upon reboot, and you can have issues where files you moved are missing, or have the wrong permissions and don't work.

·
Developer Knight
542 Posts
Whenever I recompile my Mms.apk it always force closes when I attempt to "search" in the Mms app. I've never been able to get to the bottom of it. I install the Mms.apk through adb (push it). I set the correct permissions and everything. Search is the only thing that doesn't work.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm sorry if this has already been answered but there doesn't seem to be a "search in topic" button anymore. Anyway, I love the guide and believe I've started to get the hang of it. I did get a little curious and I wonder if there is a way to make the background an image instead of just a color. Just one of the cool little options I like in 3rd party mms apps.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Where are these lol

i got the image "edit" box invetered now i can figure out the pic/adio/video recvd area i made it #FF000000 in the corresponding xml's even tried making the .9 black but it still comes up white.

141 - 160 of 197 Posts