Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
No luck for this method either.
After a couple of trys, my kindle showed up as "kindle" in device manager,( it was showing as "unknown device") and I was able to install drivers and then
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000 worked and

fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot worked and the fire booted into yellow triangle screen, then into kindle fire screen then booted up all the way, so SUCCESS...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well after a little scare, this works absolutely fantastic , I was able to boot into recovery, do a backup and from the recovery menu boot into the kindle os.. I will donate for this,, thank you guys for you help...

·
Registered
8 Posts
To fix this in windows, I had to add the vendor ID 0x18d1 and
Code:
<br />
%SingleAdbInterface%		= USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0100<br />
%CompositeAdbInterface%	 = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0100&MI_01<br />
to the android_winusb.inf (PID came from properties/detail under device manager)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did this... First I made sure I had fastboot.exe (I didn't). Then I downloaded the img file and checked the MD5...

Then, I did the following commands (shows what was echo'ed back by the system)

Code:
<br />
C:\DEV\SDK\tools>adb shell<br />
$ su<br />
su<br />
# idme bootmode 4002<br />
idme bootmode 4002<br />
<idme> write 4002 to offset 0x1000<br />
# exit<br />
exit<br />
$ exit<br />
exit<br />
C:\DEV\SDK\tools>fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img<br />
< waiting for device ><br />
I had to then reload the Device Driver before it moved on....

Code:
<br />
		downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [  3.053s]<br />
					   booting... OKAY [  0.013s]<br />
finished. total time: 3.085s<br />
When the screen had the reboot button on it, I did:
Code:
<br />
C:\DEV\SDK\tools>adb shell<br />
~ # idme bootmode 4000<br />
idme bootmode 4000<br />
<idme> write 4000 to offset 0x1000<br />
~ # reboot<br />
reboot<br />
And it rebooted.

Just did a backup... something I've wanted to do from the very beginning...

·
Android Beginner
4 Posts
Also if none of the above is working. Try the following:

1. Reboot your PC. The reason is that it still thinks your Android device is still connected (you'll see this in Device Manager).
2. Once rebooted, connect your Kindle again via USB. You'll probably hear 3 tones (which means it recognized a device, but didn't load any drivers). In device manager, you'll see a device just called "kindle" with an exclamation point by it. At this point, you'll need to install drivers for it again. Pick "Browse my computer for driver software" BUT don't browse, just click on "Let me pick from a list...", and select "Android Phone" and then pick the newest "Android Composite ADB Interface" from the list. I think you may have 4.0.0.0 or something similar (you may have only a 2.x version possibly depending on which drivers you loaded to root your phone).
3. Once you've done that, you'll need to run the following:

Code:
<br />
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000<br />
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot<br />
hopefully fastboot will be working again.

thanks to http://forum.xda-dev...5&postcount=222
Thanks Pyro.. I am back up and running again. Thanks to you. and.. thanks to you and the team I now have an awesome recovery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently stuck in fastboot and cannot get drivers to install. kindle shows up as unknown device, if i try to update driver is get errors (Code 43). tried adding vendor id 18d1 to usb.ini and lines to winusb.inf and still cannot get driver to install. appreciate any help i can get.

got it working, wish i followed these instructions from the start...

·
Android Beginner
12 Posts
Okay, so my kindle fire is stuck at the yellow triangle screen and when ever i try to install the drivers in device manager, the light on my kindle changes from green to orange and than the kindle disconnects from the computer. Does this need that I need to charge my kindle and retry this or do I have a serious problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Okay, so my kindle fire is stuck at the yellow triangle screen and when ever i try to install the drivers in device manager, the light on my kindle changes from green to orange and than the kindle disconnects from the computer. Does this need that I need to charge my kindle and retry this or do I have a serious problem?
Sounds like you missed the part to set your idme bootmode back to 4000 while on the "reboot" screen during flashing. Not a serious problem, people have recovered from it.

The drivers you are wanting to install aren't those that have been installed already, you actually have to append a new device code. Try 0x18d1. If that doesn't work try also what rwphwp mentioned in his post here. Just remember, it may be a combo of things to get it back up and running.

During testing of this recovery, I soft bricked more times than you could think of. Some of them were so scary, I would lose fastboot and adb. luckily they werent gone for god, but simply the device codes have changed.

I hope something here helps you, I honestly do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks a ton Pyrostic and Team Win! I just restored my Fire to stock and it worked like a charm. I did have to set the bootmode manually to get out of recovery, but that could have been because of something I did. At any rate, it's time to overclock this thing and bless it with some ICS goodness.

I'm currently stuck in fastboot and cannot get drivers to install. kindle shows up as unknown device, if i try to update driver is get errors (Code 43). tried adding vendor id 18d1 to usb.ini and lines to winusb.inf and still cannot get driver to install. appreciate any help i can get.

Glad you got it working. As for the lines for the .inf, if it happens again (and let's hope it doesn't), get the VID and PID from the device manager.

·
Android Beginner
12 Posts
Pyrostic said:
Sounds like you missed the part to set your idme bootmode back to 4000 while on the "reboot" screen during flashing. Not a serious problem, people have recovered from it.

The drivers you are wanting to install aren't those that have been installed already, you actually have to append a new device code. Try 0x18d1. If that doesn't work try also what rwphwp mentioned in his post here. Just remember, it may be a combo of things to get it back up and running.

During testing of this recovery, I soft bricked more times than you could think of. Some of them were so scary, I would lose fastboot and adb. luckily they werent gone for god, but simply the device codes have changed.

I hope something here helps you, I honestly do.
Thanks man. I'll try it when I get off of work tonight at nine. I'll let you know how it goes!

Edit-Okay so I tried adding the new device code. Saved the android-winusb files and then plugged my kindle in. Nothing happened. It still continues to show the device for a second or two then the light changes again and It disappears from Device Manager.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
rdwyer228 said:
Thanks man. I'll try it when I get off of work tonight at nine. I'll let you know how it goes!

Edit-Okay so I tried adding the new device code. Saved the android-winusb files and then plugged my kindle in. Nothing happened. It still continues to show the device for a second or two then the light changes again and It disappears from Device Manager.
Anybody else have any ideas? That is about all I have.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Have you tried the fire utility over at xda? It seems to be getting some love (not to mention results).

·
Android Beginner
12 Posts
Okay so I left it on the charger when I left for work. I now came home to it booting on and off constantly. I think the battery died and I cannot charge. It looks like it is time to send it back to Amazon.
Okay nevermind. It is charging now! Ill let it charge for about an hour or so and then try the utility. I'll post back with an update on my device. Thanks for all the help guys.
Update - So now I think it is just fudgeing with me. It was charging, now It's doing the on/off thing again. I'm just going to request a new one. Chances are if nobody here can fix it, neither can they. Nor will they no what the fudge the boot image mean.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I followed the directions in this thread as well as a few others, and got to the point where it made me reinstall TWRP, and ended up getting past the Triangle Fire loop, but after that point, I get stuck in a Kindle Fire fastboot loop. Any chance I could get some help? Sorry if this question's been answered, I've been up all night trying to fix this, and may have missed a post containing that one command that would make all of my problems go away...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Can you please explain what you did? This is exactly what I'm having trouble with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a slightly different problem than most people with the yellow triangle.

I accidentally hit "reboot" on the screen after installing TWRP, without going into adb shell first.

Now I'm stuck on the yellow triangle, only pressing/holding the power button does nothing. I can't turn it off or reboot it.

In this mode, if I plug it into my computer, it immediately says "USB Device not recognized". It shows up in Device Manager as "Unknown Device". Any attempt to use "update driver" and pointing it to my usb_driver directory ends up with it saying "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date". And it's still just "Unknown Device".

Maybe I could do something if I could reboot it, but I don't have the tools to crack it open and take out the battery. My current plan is to let the battery drain overnight

EDIT: For anyone else having this problem, draining the battery did help. After the battery drained and I turned it back on, the problem acted like everyone else's problem. When I plugged it into USB, it was reported as a "kindle" with no drivers, as opposed to "Unknown Device". Then I just followed everyone's help here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also if none of the above is working. Try the following:

1. Reboot your PC. The reason is that it still thinks your Android device is still connected (you'll see this in Device Manager).
2. Once rebooted, connect your Kindle again via USB. You'll probably hear 3 tones (which means it recognized a device, but didn't load any drivers). In device manager, you'll see a device just called "kindle" with an exclamation point by it. At this point, you'll need to install drivers for it again. Pick "Browse my computer for driver software" BUT don't browse, just click on "Let me pick from a list...", and select "Android Phone" and then pick the newest "Android Composite ADB Interface" from the list. I think you may have 4.0.0.0 or something similar (you may have only a 2.x version possibly depending on which drivers you loaded to root your phone).
3. Once you've done that, you'll need to run the following:

Code:
<br />
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000<br />
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot<br />
hopefully fastboot will be working again.

thanks to http://forum.xda-dev...5&postcount=222
I am on a Mac and tried this. The Mac did not show the kindle as attached but I continued with the suggested process above and all worked out very well.

Thank you for making my knees knock less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I accidentally followed the CM7 guide on xda which directed me to another website which had me install TWRP using the dd method, and now I can't get it to boot into TWRP, and I can't seem to use any of the methods described here to reinstall TWRP. Right now, the device will power on with the yellow triangle, and then into the OS if I don't hit anything. If I hit the power button while it is booting, to enter recovery mode, it just stays on the yellow triangle and never progresses past that screen. Any way I can revert to before the dd phase so I can try this again?

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.