Android OS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay nevermind. It is charging now! Ill let it charge for about an hour or so and then try the utility. I'll post back with an update on my device. Thanks for all the help guys.
Update - So now I think it is just fudgeing with me. It was charging, now It's doing the on/off thing again. I'm just going to request a new one. Chances are if nobody here can fix it, neither can they. Nor will they no what the fudge the boot image mean.
I am having the EXACT same problem as this guy. I am also stuck on the yellow triangle screen in TWRP 2.0. I have spent the last two days trying to unbrick my Kindle Fire, and although I have learned a TON of stuff about adb and fastboot, the minute I think I'm figuring it out, i get stuck again. Here's what happened:

First, I rooted my KF with SuperOneClick to install Android Market. Worked perfectly. Well, being the idiot I am, I decided to try and put CyanogenMod 7 on it, and after about 6 hours worth of messing around, I got it working GREAT!! No problems, except I didn't have Android Market. So I tried installing Google Apps and Go Launcher EX from Kindle Fire utility, and the next thing I know it is stuck on the CyanogenMod 7 boot screen.

I started fresh today and was able to get off the CyanogenMod 7 boot loop by playing around with Fastboot and ADB for a while, but then found myself stuck on the Kindle Fire logo. Finally, I got past the KF logo and was able to enter CWM recovery, but it wouldn't open my update.zip file. I was stuck again until I realized that I had three folders that I'm working with. One called Android with the android-sdk/platform-tools, one called KindleFireRoot, and one called Public. They pretty much all contained the same files. When I realized that I had been working out of all three folders, i figured I was screwed for sure. Following all of the advice throughout these numerous threads online, I'm pretty sure most of the time I was in the android-sdk folder. I was able to push any file I wanted to the sdcard and view directories of the Kindle with ADB, also, but only through the KindleFireRoot folder.

Well, I decided to try and use TWRP 2.0 (which I couldn't get to install through the KF Utility) instead of CWM, After trying the push the file with adb from all three folders, I was finally able to get TWRP installed using the KindleFireRoot folder intstead, and I tried them all. So it booted up fine into TWRP and I tried applying update.zip, but no luck. Everytime I rebooted it, it just loaded up into TWRP home screen without me hitting the power button.

Well, since my nerves were shot and I was ready to give up, I just tried wiping and restoring to factory, and when it rebooted I was stuck with the yellow triangle saying "press power button for recovery". Now, I have the same problem as above, where my Kindle shows up in device manager when I plug it in, but only for a few seconds (and the power button shows orange). then goes away with no access to it in order to update driver. When it does pop up for the couple seconds, it says its still android composite, but just vanishes. I also no longer have fastboot or adb access. I've tried everything and am at my wits end!!

I just want to get it back to factory now, it was a gift and I feel bad for messing with it in the first place, but I just can't help it. ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!

EDIT: Siiting down with the KF again, I found that if I turn it on by plugging it into the usb, it shows up in device manager as Android Phone three times, but only for about 3-5 seconds each time. Well, I figured that since it was showing up for at least that little of time, I should be able to push files to it during that time. I proved this by using fastboot reboot at the precise time it was showing up, and it worked, but only back to yellow triangle. It will also show up in devices with fastboot, but the serial number reads 0123456789ABCDEF, and only if I run the command in the short time that it shows up in device manager. So, obviously I wiped the thing, I new that already, and the serial number kind of confirms that, I think. I'm just hoping that there is a way to get it out of recovery in fastboot since I still have access, albeit a very short time, cuz if I'm correct, I need adb access to push files over to it, right? So here I go tinkering again, wish me luck. Anyone with ideas, please help!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so i have the lastest kf update (6.2.1) and i have rooted it using the burrito root. when i try using the kindle utility and press option 7 to install twrp i get: <idme> invalid permission reboot: operation not permitted < waiting on device >

any help on how to continue? goal is to run cm7.

thx!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
yupp. stuck at the yellow triangle. let the battery drain thinking maybe it'll reboot once i plug it back in. no. turns off, turns on, yellow triangle, turns off, turns on, yellow triangle..over and over again. anyone know of a fix?

·
Just Doing My Best To Help
215 Posts
I am currently stuck in bootloop of "Kindle Fire". I treid to hard reset but it just does it again. During the attempted install I got <waiting on device> So I "cntrl+C" then unplugged and rebooted manually. Any solutions?

Edit: Fixed by using the

"fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot"

But am still having issues. I can't get past "waiting for device". I have tried several of the ways other users have gotten past this with no prevail.

·
215 Posts
Finally got it. After restarting it I manually powered down the system and started it back up and it installed fine. Now my next question is the firefirefire shows up twice. Once than the system blanks for a second and it pops up again. Is this normal?

·
Android Beginner
52 Posts
I just did this... First I made sure I had fastboot.exe (I didn't). Then I downloaded the img file and checked the MD5...

Then, I did the following commands (shows what was echo'ed back by the system)

Code:
<br />
C:\DEV\SDK\tools>adb shell<br />
$ su<br />
su<br />
# idme bootmode 4002<br />
idme bootmode 4002<br />
<idme> write 4002 to offset 0x1000<br />
# exit<br />
exit<br />
$ exit<br />
exit<br />
C:\DEV\SDK\tools>fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img<br />
< waiting for device ><br />
I had to then reload the Device Driver before it moved on....

Code:
<br />
		downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [  3.053s]<br />
					   booting... OKAY [  0.013s]<br />
finished. total time: 3.085s<br />
When the screen had the reboot button on it, I did:
Code:
<br />
C:\DEV\SDK\tools>adb shell<br />
~ # idme bootmode 4000<br />
idme bootmode 4000<br />
<idme> write 4000 to offset 0x1000<br />
~ # reboot<br />
reboot<br />
And it rebooted.

Just did a backup... something I've wanted to do from the very beginning...
Used this method and it worked twice without problems

Reactions: adam

·
215 Posts
Forgive me for being a n00b, but can someone explain how to reload the driver?
Click on your start button on your desktop. Right click "computer" and click "manage". Click device manager and find the kindle. It should be under other or ADB interface. Right click on it and click "update driver". Click browse my computer then let me pick. Click "have disk" then browse to your folder. Find "android_winusb" and double click. Click "ok". The driver should then reinstall. You may also already have the ADB composite driver already listed. If so just click that and click okay.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Click on your start button on your desktop. Right click "computer" and click "manage". Click device manager and find the kindle. It should be under other or ADB interface. Right click on it and click "update driver". Click browse my computer then let me pick. Click "have disk" then browse to your folder. Find "android_winusb" and double click. Click "ok". The driver should then reinstall. You may also already have the ADB composite driver already listed. If so just click that and click okay.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
Awesome. Thanks! Still stuck at <waiting for device> though...hmmm

·
Registered
18 Posts
After replacing my bricked KF, I decided to take things a little slower this time around. I used the KF Utility v.9.1 to install TWRP. After reading some of the problems people were having, I was keeping my fingers crossed. But of course I ran into the driver issue. I had the exclamation point by my Kindle device. So I tried reinstalling (from the KFU package), but it said the drivers were already up to date. Then I unistalled and reinstalled them. But I got the 'There was a problem, blah, blah...code 10'. So I took a chance and just powered down the KF and when it restarted, the drivers worked fine <whew>. After TWRP installed (woo hoo, half way there) I once again had the same driver issue during the reboot phase. So once again, I just powered down the KF and when it started back up the drivers were ok and everything completed (and I got a few more grey hairs).

Ok, now I have a question as I can't really seem to find a good user guide for TWRP on the KF. At this point I am not really interested in loading ROMs (not yet at least). I just want to avoid bricking my unit again and have a way to recover if I do. So I clicked on the backup button and it by default three options were checked - system, data, and something else. That completed fine.

So my main question is, should I manage to scew up permisions or something again, will simply clicking 'restore' fix it? And did I backup what I needed, or should I have selected anything else?

My secondary question is should I have some sort of other stock restore image sitting on the KF in case I need it? I see the KF Utility has an option to get the stock update and creates the update.zip. Do I just stick that on the Fire in case I need it? And if so, where should I put it?. The KF utility also created an update_extract folder and I have no idea what that is for.

<edit> found a video to show how to use TWRP to put the Fire totally back to stock. So my secondary question is answered.

·
Average Android
260 Posts
Download the following file and place it in the location of your "fastboot" file. (mine is located in platform-tools because I figured it would be easier to start commands for ADB and Fastboot from the same prompt)
It would be nice, for the sake of being user friendly, that you include a copy of adb.exe in you post for download, or mention that users will need the android sdk. In the later case, the average user, and even some experienced users like myself will install to the default location. It would be useful to instruct users where to find the platform-tools folder to access adb, or instruct users how to add it as an environment variable.

Execute the commands below from this command prompt with your Kindle connected to the PC.

Code:
adb shell<br />
idme bootmode 4002<br />
exit<br />
fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img
After entering adb shell, I got a permission denied message whe entering the idme command. I used su to become Superuser/root. This may be something worth mentioning as well. Thanks for the info and the work you put in to the project!

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Also if none of the above is working. Try the following:

1. Reboot your PC. The reason is that it still thinks your Android device is still connected (you'll see this in Device Manager).
2. Once rebooted, connect your Kindle again via USB. You'll probably hear 3 tones (which means it recognized a device, but didn't load any drivers). In device manager, you'll see a device just called "kindle" with an exclamation point by it. At this point, you'll need to install drivers for it again. Pick "Browse my computer for driver software" BUT don't browse, just click on "Let me pick from a list...", and select "Android Phone" and then pick the newest "Android Composite ADB Interface" from the list. I think you may have 4.0.0.0 or something similar (you may have only a 2.x version possibly depending on which drivers you loaded to root your phone).
3. Once you've done that, you'll need to run the following:

Code:
<br />
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000<br />
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot<br />
hopefully fastboot will be working again.

thanks to http://forum.xda-dev...5&postcount=222
I was stuck at the yellow triangle with the device coming up as unidentified in Device Manager. Unplugging the Kindle and waiting a few minutes - did not have to do a full battery drain - and plugging back in again a couple of times got the Device Manager to identify it as the Kindle with the bad drivers symbol again. Once it did that I followed these instructions and was back up and running again in no time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a bricked Kindle Fire as well I am new to fixing this stuff. I have installed kindle fire utility on my windows 7 pc and I show the kindle as an android phone device in my device manager file when plugged in usb. when i run the utility in the shell, my status is "offline" and is not rooted. I have tried some of the suggestions here and can't get anywhere yet. I installed the ICS loader without rooting my kindle 1st. can this be repaired?

·
Android Apprentice
39 Posts
I'm in the process of trying to install TWRP, and I got to this command:
"fastboot -1 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.ORCO.img"

Then it says, "fastboot: not found"

I checked my Platform-Tools folder, and I do have a fastboot file in there.

I then entered, "su" and then the "fastboot -1 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.ORCO.img" again and it tells me once more that fastboot is not found.

I'm stuck... don't know what else to try... is it safe to just unplug my Fire, reboot my computer and start from the top?

Edit: I'm using the same command prompt window that I used when I rooted my Fire with a few days ago. Since I had not closed it and the computer has been asleep the whole time, I just picked up from there. I connected my Fire, downloaded the twrp file to my Platform-tools folder, entered "adb devices" and found my Fire, then started the process for installing TWRP. I'm wondering if I should have closed down the previous command window and opened another one before starting?

I'm thinking that I should type "exit", eject my Fire and unplug, reboot my computer and start over with a fresh command window from my platform-tools folder, but if someone could substantiate that this is the right thing to do, I would greatly appreciate it!

2nd EDIT: Okay... did that... rebooted computer and Fire, now Fire won't boot up. GULP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would be nice, for the sake of being user friendly, that you include a copy of adb.exe in you post for download, or mention that users will need the android sdk. In the later case, the average user, and even some experienced users like myself will install to the default location. It would be useful to instruct users where to find the platform-tools folder to access adb, or instruct users how to add it as an environment variable.

After entering adb shell, I got a permission denied message whe entering the idme command. I used su to become Superuser/root. This may be something worth mentioning as well. Thanks for the info and the work you put in to the project!
I'm having the same issue. I keep getting the "permission denied" message after entering adb shell and entering the idme line and can't seem to get past it. Any sugestions?

·
Android Apprentice
39 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I keep getting the "permission denied" message after entering adb shell and entering the idme line and can't seem to get past it. Any sugestions?
That's exactly what happened to me yesterday and I ended up bricking at that point. Trying to figure out how to unbrick currently. I'm trying a couple of things, but if they don't work, I'll just have to go buy another Fire. I hope someone can direct you on what to do to get back to where you were.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me yesterday and I ended up bricking at that point. Trying to figure out how to unbrick currently. I'm trying a couple of things, but if they don't work, I'll just have to go buy another Fire. I hope someone can direct you on what to do to get back to where you were.
see mine isnt bricked because it boots to the normal Kindle software fine. I just wont install the twrp software at all. It says "permission denied" when I enter the idme line and when I enter the "fastboot -1 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.ORCO.img" line it says waiting for device just like it was working but when I reboot the device it boots normally and never enters the twrp installer. I just did this to my other fire like 2 days ago and it worked fine. I just don't get what the problem is with this one.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts