Android OS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
39 Posts
Okay... so I finally got ADB working again, but my Fire is showing up as "Android ADB Interface" below "Android Phone" in Device Manager. This is after having uninstalled/reinstalled the ADB Interface. Any ideas on how I can get ADB to see my Fire?

·
Android Apprentice
39 Posts
I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to one particular member of this forum - he knows who he is - for helping me un-brick my Fire. I don't want to call him out by name because I don't want him to get bombarded with PMs. But if he wants to reveal his identity, I'll leave that to him. I was sick with frustration and about to give up on this, and he PM'd me on how to bring it back from the brink. To him, and the this community, I say THANK YOU! All of us working together is what makes Android such an awesome platform and community!

Now, to those who may be soft-bricked, you need to download and use the Kindle Fire Utility if you haven't done so already. If you don't know how to set it up, ask. I can tell you from my experience, if you are bricked and can't get past your Kindle Fire logo, you have hope. Use this utility and you most likely will get your Fire back!

·
Registered
3 Posts
see mine isnt bricked because it boots to the normal Kindle software fine. I just wont install the twrp software at all. It says "permission denied" when I enter the idme line and when I enter the "fastboot -1 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.ORCO.img" line it says waiting for device just like it was working but when I reboot the device it boots normally and never enters the twrp installer. I just did this to my other fire like 2 days ago and it worked fine. I just don't get what the problem is with this one.
I got it. I had to do it manually from the kindle itself. I put the twpr-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img file along with u-boot.bin(the latest version of FIREFIREFIRE boot loade) on the SDCard of the Kindle put in the following commands in the command window.

adb push u-boot.bin /sdcard/
adb push twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
dd if=/sdcard/u-boot.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2

for one reason or another I couldnt get it to recognize the dd commands from my cmd window so I had to install the app "Terminal Emulator" on my kindle and enter

su

in the emulator right from the kindle. If it isnt telling you that it cant find the specific path to them on your pc's cmd window you dont have to do this on the kindle. Then you finish by putting these final commands into the cmd window on your pc.

exit
exit
adb reboot

When it came back up the utility was on there. Good luck.

I will add that this Kindle is Rooted with Burritoroot and Superuser so if you dont have superuser the su commad WILL NOT work.

·
Android Apprentice
39 Posts
I got it. I had to do it manually from the kindle itself. I put the twpr-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img file along with u-boot.bin(the latest version of FIREFIREFIRE boot loade) on the SDCard of the Kindle put in the following commands in the command window.

adb push u-boot.bin /sdcard/
adb push twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su

for one reason or another I couldnt get it to recognize the dd commands from my cmd window so I had to install the app "Terminal Emulator" on my kindle and enter

su

in the emulator right from the kindle. If it isnt telling you that it cant find the specific path to them on your pc's cmd window you dont have to do this on the kindle. Then you finish by putting these final commands into the cmd window on your pc.

exit
exit
adb reboot

When it came back up the utility was on there. Good luck.

I will add that this Kindle is Rooted with Burritoroot and Superuser so if you dont have superuser the su commad WILL NOT work.
I've tried unsuccessfully to use the KF Utility to install TWR several times. Always ends up waiting for device. Do you think it would be a good idea to try this method?

Sent from my BAMF'd out T-Bolt on Verizon Wireless using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
After a couple of trys, my kindle showed up as "kindle" in device manager,( it was showing as "unknown device") and I was able to install drivers and then
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000 worked and

fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot worked and the fire booted into yellow triangle screen, then into kindle fire screen then booted up all the way, so SUCCESS...
Thanks that worked for me. I had to keep the usb plugged in and restart the kindle then fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000

·
Android Apprentice
39 Posts
I hope that at some point getting a recovery system on the KF will be as easy as downloading and installing ROM Manager and then flashing CWR from within the app. It seems that right now, what works for some might not work for others (I can attest that this is true). I can get the KF utility to recognize my KF, but it just hangs at the point of install and I eventually have to bail. I understand there's an alternate route with pushing files to the sd card of the KF, but I don't quite understand the process of switching between the command prompt on the computer and disconnecting the KF to use Terminal Emulator and then back to the command prompt on the computer again. I'm afraid I'd lose my adb recognition in the process and not be able to finish right (it's a pain in the tush to get my computer to see my KF properly, though I eventually do get it).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Complete success on Mac OS X Lion (10.7.2) using the instructions in the original post.

Kindle version 6.2.2, using adb/fastboot included in the android sdk. Added 0x1949 to the end of /Users/[USERNAME]/.android/adb_usb.ini

Like someone mentioned earlier, the FIREFIREFIRE logo seems to come up twice. Not sure if this is intended or not.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE RISKS IN FLASHING THIS.
  • You may lose Fastboot and ADB access if it is not flashed correctly (and maybe even if it is)
  • You may lose functionality to receive OTA updates from Amazon
  • You will be able to flash custom ROMS and kernels using TWRP
  • Neither I or Team Win are responsible for anything that you flash on your devices. You do this accepting the risks
Hello, I'm Pyrostic and I volunteered to test TWRP 2.0 for the Kindle Fire. I hope the following tutorial helps you:

READ EVERYTHING and at least until page 3 and the last few pages in this thread before you continue.

Download the following file and place it in the location of your "fastboot" file. (mine is located in platform-tools because I figured it would be easier to start commands for ADB and Fastboot from the same prompt)

twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img

Right Click+shift the folder where your twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img file is located (along with ADB and Fastboot) and click Open Command Window Here:

Execute the commands below from this command prompt with your Kindle connected to the PC.

Code:
adb shell<br />
idme bootmode 4002<br />
exit<br />
fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img<br />
your command window should state that it is <waiting for device> (if it doesn't instantly reboot itself). If the device doesn't reboot immediately hold the power button on the bottom of your device until it turns off. Then power it on. You should see some on screen signage and then the installing of TWRP 2.0 and the FIREFIREFIRE Bootloader.

AFTER it is done and the REBOOT option shows up. Open up a command prompt from your platform-tools folder.

type the following

Code:
<br />
adb shell<br />
idme bootmode 4000<br />
reboot<br />
your device should reboot into the OS

From now on:
tapping power repeatedly during boot up will bring you into TWRP 2.0
not doing anything during boot up will bring you to your OS

For those of you that are still stuck on the yellow triangle:

Thanks to rwphwp:

Add the vendor ID 0x18d1 and
Code:
<br />
%SingleAdbInterface%			= USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0100<br />
%CompositeAdbInterface%  = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0100&MI_01<br />
to the android_winusb.inf (PID came from properties/detail under device manager)

If you LOVE TWRP 2.0 on your Kindle Fire. I suggest donating to @agrabren (<--- donation link) for his hard work and thanking me here for my testing

TWRP 2.0 is solely supported here at RootzWiki.

·
Average Android
175 Posts
I used this method and got stuck at yellow fire triangle forever. Could not install drivers or anything. Somehow kindle fire utility miraculously unsoftbricked(how's that for a word) me.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using RootzWiki

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am just learning all I can about the kindle and android. I have had my device successfully rooted for some time and am ready to back it up before I really do some dangerous stufff. I have two questions I hope you all have the patience to answer. Why can't the dd command method be used to copy over the twrp and fff image file anymore? Does the flash boot method have some advantage to it?
Also wondering if there are major differences btwn the major free backup alternatives (although u guys may be a bit prejudiced)

Thanks,
Les

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've gotten to the part where I restarted my Kindle, and now I seem to be stuck at the "kindle fire" screen. I got past the < waiting for device > part, also. Have restarted multiple times, and Windows does not recognize the device.

EDIT: Windows does recognize it, but it still does not boot up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The guide worked great. Thank you!

Got stuck on the yellow triangle, modified the PID as well as the vendor ID to update the drivers, rebooted PC, ran the two fastboot commands to get ADB to recognize the device, then just followed the install commands again. The recovery is running like a champ!

·
Registered
1 Posts
After a couple of trys, my kindle showed up as "kindle" in device manager,( it was showing as "unknown device") and I was able to install drivers and then
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000 worked and

fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot worked and the fire booted into yellow triangle screen, then into kindle fire screen then booted up all the way, so SUCCESS...
Hi , My kindle is only showing a yellow triangle to me , and it is a "unknown device" . It seems that you have worked it out ! Can you tell me your "couple of trys"? My email is [email protected] . Thanks very much

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please help me, I'm just about to cry. I've allready bricked one of my kindles and sent it back.so this time they won't take it back.

I was following the tutorial here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/12363-how-to-windows-install-twrp-20-on-your-kindle-fire/, I rooted the kindle again with burito root so I could enter the commands. I entered:
adb shell
idme bootmode 4002

Then I realized I didn't have fastboot. I forgot I entered the bootmode command, and I turned the kf off.now it just turns on with the kf logo. I added this to the inf file:
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0100
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0100&MI_01
And I added 0x18d1 to the ini file.
When I say install from location android-sdks/extras/google/usb_driver it does not come up with android_winusb.inf, instead it comes up with oem.inf files located in windows>inf, and if I install it, it says device not found in adb.

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
12 Posts
I unbricked my kindle. Here is how the easy way

1.Download kindle fire utility
2.Unzip kindle fire utility
3.To install the driver,its easy,just plug in your kindle, when it pops up with the install wizard say pick from the location of:
KindleFireUtility>drivers>kindle
4.run kindle fire utility,select 1 then select 1 again

That's it, hope it helps someone like me

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i tried to root my kindle fire but i think i have broken it . when i installed twrp on my kindle fire, it hank on first logo ( kindle fire with red and white colors) . and i tried to unroot it so i installed (update.bin) on it . it become worse . i cant install twrp on my kindle fire now . what can i do now?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts