Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Thriller
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My upgrade is in about 2 1/2 weeks.
I've been deciding between the Rezound and the Nexus.
After finally dropping the Razr out of the discussion and nearly deciding on the Nexus

My desire to flash everything under the sun and be apart of the Nexus community is smacking me in the face right now.
Three things are holding me up.

Samsung's GPS' issues of the past? Are they resolved in this phone?
and I've heard the GPU of this phone is outdated quite a bit, will this be a big problem in the future, say a year from now?
And also heard things about terrible signal, myth? truth?

Just wanting to make the best decision.
Thanks.

·
Pastafarian
125 Posts
I wouldn't consider the GPU to be old, more so of mid-range spec, it's just not the latest and greatest. It can handle almost anything you throw its way. I wouldn't worry about the signal issue either, things tend to blow out of proportion in communities like these, and although there might be some small issues, it's usually resolved in a radio update when they tweak power levels and such. When I checked the hardware specs of the GNex, I saw the device had a SiRF GPS chip inside rather than built-in like a SoC, which is one of the high end manufacturers, and commonly seen in high end smartphones and navigation devices. The HTC TyTN II comes to mind with a similar but more dated chip. Wonderful sensitivity.

·
Android Apprentice
195 Posts
as far as signal, i went from a tbolt with cm7 on it. signal definitely is not what it was. where i once had full 4g bars i now have 1 or two. youtube videos take a little longer to load, but that's probably due to the quality of the videos compared to the tbolt

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
Of note: benchmarks very w/ respect to GPU performance between the SGX540 and the Adreno 220. Performance should be roughly equal. CPU-wise, though, The 1.2GHz Cortex A9 is definitely superior to the older 1.5GHz Scorpion cores in the Rezound.

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
as far as signal, i went from a tbolt with cm7 on it. signal definitely is not what it was. where i once had full 4g bars i now have 1 or two. youtube videos take a little longer to load, but that's probably due to the quality of the videos compared to the tbolt
Probably shouldn't compare # of bars between different phones. 1 bar on the GNex is equivalent to 4 bars on the Droid Charge in terms of actual signal strength, for example.

·
XDA Hater
805 Posts
Gps locks quickly for me but has anyone noticed that this phone's GPS chip does not lock under 5 meters? Try it yourself, 5 meters is as accurate as you're going to get in GPS Status and Toolbox, and other GPS testing apps

·
Android Apprentice
84 Posts
What are all these people tweaking to get a usable signal? On mines, the 4G works, but sporatically. It kills itself like almost seemingly in intervals, and I can watch it do this without even touching/moving it! If mines does that, why doesn't everyone's?

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
My GPS seems hit or miss. It might be GPS Status isn't optimized for ICS yet but this is what it shows me. Never seen the gray satellites before. Also when going into Navigation it sits at searching for GPS for a while if it ever finds GPS.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.