Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Forum Hopper
219 Posts
So, after flashing a bad ROM while out and about, It would try to boot into Recovery and immediately fail. I was forced to hard reboot and use the 3-finger method to get into recovery. Now as we all know, that is a big NO when on ICS for the SCH-i500 (I use its real name to cover all derivations). Though, since I was not near a computer, i had no choice.
SO! I have found a way to defeat this error, once and for all.
Kind of a process, but it saves you from having to Odin like you would normally have to in this situation

its also much faster than the odin method. i dont think this should be a last resort to fix a recovery only boot loop. this is the first thing i will do when bricking from now on, huge time saver!
So there's that too.

1. If you're on ICS, you NEED to have a CM7 ROM and THS build 2 on hand at all times. Keep them on your SD card.
2. If you're bootlooping, do the dreaded 3-finger by holding til the SAMSUNG flashes once.
You'll reboot into ecovery, and you won't get back out. UNLESS!
3. Optionally wipe data here. Be sure to wipe both caches though.
4. Flash the CM7 zip you placed on your SDcard in step 1.
5 DO NOT REBOOT SYSTEM. Go to advanced and reboot recovery.
6. It will now kick you into 5.0.2.x recovery.
7. Flash THS Build 2 at this point. It's automated reboot to finish and install are normal.
-ELAPSED TIME: 5 minutes or less. (Odin would still be flashing)-
8. This will boot you into ICS!
9. Now hold power, and reboot>recovery
10.Wipe and flash your desired ICS ROM.

Congratulations! You defeated the 3-finger bug!

If you use this method with success, let me know in the replies.

SOURCE; Own experience

·
The n00b veteran
775 Posts
fun fact: system data for cm7 and ics are interchangeable seemingly. I had a bootloop from playing with framework files a few days ago and couldn't get out of it so I flashed cm7 and then booted it up because I had an important phone call to make and didn't have time to flash back through ics and everything. I didn't wipe anything, just booted right up, and all my apps and everything were there. no issues. then I flashed back to ics afterwards and it had retained all my apps and preferences, even ics settings and rom control and stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: j2cool

·
Forum Hopper
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fun fact: system data for cm7 and ics are interchangeable seemingly. I had a bootloop from playing with framework files a few days ago and couldn't get out of it so I flashed cm7 and then booted it up because I had an important phone call to make and didn't have time to flash back through ics and everything. I didn't wipe anything, just booted right up, and all my apps and everything were there. no issues. then I flashed back to ics afterwards and it had retained all my apps and preferences, even ics settings and rom control and stuff.

Welp, that answers #3. Thanks for sharing! That's awesome.

·
Android Apprentice
117 Posts
Out of curiosity, what build of cm7 seems to work? I've been trying this since the early days of ICS bootloops with an old nightly 108 I have on my SD card and it ALWAYS reboots the phone automatically (which just makes cm7 bootloop) after flashing. No chance to hit reboot recovery.

·
Android Apprentice
66 Posts
Another thing that's always worked for me, before getting into the recovery boot loop,(mine normally happened from the screen blacking out on my old rom), just pull the battery instead of using the 3-finger method lol

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Out of curiosity, what build of cm7 seems to work? I've been trying this since the early days of ICS bootloops with an old nightly 108 I have on my SD card and it ALWAYS reboots the phone automatically (which just makes cm7 bootloop) after flashing. No chance to hit reboot recovery.

thats because you need to flash cm7 twice...

·
Android Apprentice
117 Posts
thats because you need to flash cm7 twice...
I'm aware, however what I'm saying is immediately after flashing CM7 the first time, the phone reboots automatically and subsequently bootloops on the CM animation without a chance to select "reboot recovery."

·
Forum Hopper
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Makelegs' SKANG-A-LANG builds have always worked for me.

·
Herky Jerky
207 Posts
if you are by a computer and dont want to wipe everything, u dont need to odin a factory fresh wipey, just odin latest CWM, 3 finger to it and flash whatever ICS you want. no wipe needed. have done this on several occasions.

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
Thanks! I'll try this next time I'm in a bind. This recovery loop has driven me nuts, especially when i'm not near my laptop. Might just try this for shits and giggles later. I'll let ya know. Thanks again!

·
The n00b veteran
775 Posts
I personally use the official cm7.2 build but I don't think it really matters.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Yea guys, I was on CM9 build 6~ and I got bootlooped and all I had to do to fix it was flash the fixed CWM for CM7 and boot up, not sure if it will always work but it could make things simpler.

·
Forum Hopper
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. reflashing a recovery in Odin fixes it. This is for when you're NOT near a computer.

·
Herp Derp
286 Posts
totally works. thank you.

idiot coworker wanted to see ICS on my phone, and then for some reason decided to 3-finger into the recovery because he wanted to see if it was different than his.

took these steps and fixed it, thanks again man.

·
Forum Hopper
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
great job on this. thank you. saved me the hour it takes to odin back and reflash the entire internet to get back to ics.
Again, this is for when you aren't near a computer to be able to Odin. I understand it's much faster to just Odin a new recovery, but if you're not near a computer and your phone screws up, you'd be without a phone until you could get to a computer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts