Android OS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Im interested in getting other, probably nix based, operating systems to run on my newly bought tablet. My main concern is that if I go whole hog and wipe the internal memory (mmc0 i believe) so that i can try and get something like ubuntu runninm, can I still get to the bootie boot loader to mess with the boot setting, and can i still use webos doctor to reset should it all go wrong?

I think the main info that would be useful is does anybody know the boot process followed on the touchpad.

Thanks

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I got that running already, I was more hoping to run natively.

Thinking about it my main concern is how much can I do to the pad before webos doctor wont work!

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Taylored

I didn't try to get Chromium running tbh, firefox and nagios plugin works gret tho!

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, from what I have found...

If you wipe the memory your pretty much screwed (I havn't btw). I havnt opened the pad yet to see if there is any easy way to get at the memory, but I expect not.
The memory is laid out into 14 partitions and generally dont touch partitions 1-12, partition 13 is where bootie lives so dont kill it, im gonna have a go at modding it but this partition is required to enable restore mode.
Partiton 14 is an LVM volume with everything else on there.

·
Android Lover
144 Posts
ECOTOX said:
Well, I can tell u it uses uboot, I'll let u know more when I get mine
How sure are you? From everything I have seen, the bootloader is called 'bootie' which looks like U-Boot. Now maybe it is a derivative, in which case we can ask HP for the source (U-Boot is GPL)

Can anyone confirm that the bootloader is indeed U-Boot? If it is, I'll be putting in a request to HP for the source code

I have a TouchPad but I'm not allowed to unbox it until Sunday :(

·
Android Lover
144 Posts
The U-Boot patches on the Palm open source site are rubbish (a trivial patch to a makefile) - I have put in a request to HP asking if the boot loader is a U-Boot (or is any other GPL code) derivative and if so, to provide the source code

I'll let you know what I get back

·
Android Lover
144 Posts
ECOTOX said:
Well, I can tell u it uses uboot, I'll let u know more when I get mine
Reply from HP/Palm:

Thank you for your interest in the Touchpad. The bootloader in webOS is proprietary, and as such is not released as source.

Regards,

Palm Open Source Team.
So it does not run U-Boot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts