Android OS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on geeky gadgets website that HP is working on reinventing the HP touchpad with windows 8. if HP really is going to offer windows 8 for HP touchpad will we still be able to duel boot to android? also, i wonder if early adopters of HP touchpad will have to pay for os update to get microsoft key

here is the article: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=hp%2Btouchpad%2Bwindows%2B8&source=web&cd=29&ved=0CGIQFjAIOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geeky-gadgets.com%2Fhp-testing-windows-8-on-touchpad-26-10-2011%2F&ei=qcWoTtCfHKLd0QHCxt3LCg&usg=AFQjCNFz0d4CdTBwKYrfr7GhQ4jZ1JZexQ&sig2=_XDMPtpGy18-Hq47-CplqQ

·
Android Apprentice
29 Posts
A base install of Windows 8 consumes 9-10GB. A 16GB HP Touchpad will give you about ~14GB usable. We will likely need to maintain some existence of Webos and with Cyanogenmod 7 there will be hardly any space left. Now with a 32GB things are looking positive and you can get a 64GB on ebay for about 370.00.

The memory consumption is also not going to make Windows 8 and the HP Touchpad a good combination unless the ARM build is severly reduces its memory footprint.

We will still need a valid license key. I am not sure why this would even be a question.

Windows 8 on the HP Touchpad is still a far ways off but is a cool idea given the device and its screen resolution. Although I understand MetroUI requires or is expecting a wider screen.

·
Advanced Android
33 Posts
A base install of Windows 8 consumes 9-10GB. A 16GB HP Touchpad will give you about ~14GB usable. We will likely need to maintain some existence of Webos and with Cyanogenmod 7 there will be hardly any space left. Now with a 32GB things are looking positive and you can get a 64GB on ebay for about 370.00.

The memory consumption is also not going to make Windows 8 and the HP Touchpad a good combination unless the ARM build is severly reduces its memory footprint.

We will still need a valid license key. I am not sure why this would even be a question.

Windows 8 on the HP Touchpad is still a far ways off but is a cool idea given the device and its screen resolution. Although I understand MetroUI requires or is expecting a wider screen.
i really doubt a windows 8 tablet version will consume 9-10GB... it's impractical, it would be an arm version like you stated about the memory footprint, it would also have to created with the HP Touchpad hardware in mind, not a desktop.

·
Android Beginner
16 Posts
They are likely to revive the Touchpad but with modifications to make it more Windows 8 friendly as well as more appealing to the public. Maybe a rear camera, more RAM (2GB), USB ports, etc.

·
Android Apprentice
66 Posts
i really doubt a windows 8 tablet version will consume 9-10GB... it's impractical, it would be an arm version like you stated about the memory footprint, it would also have to created with the HP Touchpad hardware in mind, not a desktop.
I disagree, if they change the whole footprint, it would not be windows 8 anymore, but another Android or iOS. I wouldn't mind it being 8-9GB as I bought the 32GB version unlike many cheapo in here that got the 16GB version.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts