Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
88 Posts
Does anyone know if the touchpad has GPS built in.

Some sites say it is reserved for the 3g version but the wifi versions seem to already have a sim card slot.

Does anyone know if there is a GPS hiding somewhere in the device :) (or even a connector where a GPS module can be added?)

would double as the ultimate $99 GPS if we can get android and the navigon software running on it

·
Supporting Member
1,839 Posts
There's no GPS, sadly, at least from the chat on IRC. I don't have mine yet so I can play around with it. If it did have GPS though, that would be awesome. Maybe there are some Bluetooth GPS receivers that could work, especially when/if we get android but I have no idea because practically everything has GPS now so I've never bothered to learn if there is such a thing.

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
that is what killed it for me.
no standalone gps in models other then att i think....well models without 3g/4g whatever...

i bought the 32gb and have it for sale on ebay already.
1 day left on it as i write this.
this is a good tablet but without gps....it just isnt good enough
also no tv-out at all and only one micro usb?

this tablet is like a starter "smart device"

my droid-x can do more then this tablet!

·
Supporting Member
1,839 Posts
tdbone1 said:
this tablet is like a starter "smart device"

my droid-x can do more then this tablet!
That may be true but for me this is going to be a $150 device that plays my music in the car or gives me a bigger web browser without tying up my phone. My phone is super portable and I don't consider a tablet to be the same. I could take it with me but I'd have to carry it everywhere so I'd always have one hand full.

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
ERIFNOMI said:
That may be true but for me this is going to be a $150 device that plays my music in the car or gives me a bigger web browser without tying up my phone. My phone is super portable and I don't consider a tablet to be the same. I could take it with me but I'd have to carry it everywhere so I'd always have one hand full.
my droid-x does all that already.

if you already have a descent smart phone i wouldnt get this tablet.
you will be carrying around EXTRA devices when you dont need to

·
433 Posts
tdbone1 said:

I bought it to use around the house, they're just covenant to have. For $99, you can't beat it.

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
Lack of GPS shouldn't be a deal breaker in a 10 inch device. How many people drive around with a laptop strapped to their dash? It doesn't have 3G so it's not as if you can do Google maps on the go anyway. For me I have a feeling this device will rapidly replace my laptop for around the house / out in town (at hotspots) usage.

·
Android Apprentice
22 Posts
phobos512 said:
Lack of GPS shouldn't be a deal breaker in a 10 inch device. How many people drive around with a laptop strapped to their dash? It doesn't have 3G so it's not as if you can do Google maps on the go anyway. For me I have a feeling this device will rapidly replace my laptop for around the house / out in town (at hotspots) usage.
already has replaced mine for mostly all internet browsing. I love it.

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
phobos512 said:
AND it dont have any sort of tv-out
only 1 usb port
no GPS

like i said....my old droid-x has all those and more

·
Supporting Member
1,839 Posts
tdbone1 said:

I have a Thunderbolt. Quite a decent smart phone. However, it's screen is a tab bit smaller than the touchpad. Basically my thinking here is my phone replaced my Zune for music but sometimes it's a pain to have my phone do music on a long trip with satnav and sometimes even tracking engine stats with torque or googleing for a place to eat so now my touchpad might replace my phone for music or even videos on a long trip since the screen is much larger. It's something I'd leave in the car when I went into a restaurant or to a baseball game or something where as my phone would go with me. For $150 I couldn't pass that up. Even if I only use it for browsing the web in bed, it's a win. This 9.7in screen is much better than a 4.3in. I think our difference is you're comparing this to your phone and I'm not really. I don't see it as the same thing as my phone. My phone will always be with me. This is something I might take with me for a special purpose. If I, for instance, was going to a friend's house to fix a computer and they really don't understand what I'm doing when I'm looking up something I could show them on this where as my phone isn't really something two people can look at at once. Kinda a poor example but that popped into my head today when a friend called and said they had the BSOD. That could be anything and chances are I would have to look something up. They probably wouldn't have been interested but I have another friend that asks me for computer help and they would have been.

·
Android Apprentice
15 Posts
if you tether it to your android smartphone it will share the gps, my nook color does it with no hassle

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
tdbone1 said:
AND it dont have any sort of tv-out
only 1 usb port
no GPS

like i said....my old droid-x has all those and more
I have an Atrix 4G; before that, I had an EVO 4G. I've used video out once to show a video I took of our dog to my girlfriend. I use my phone for consuming data on the go and entertaining myself, and very occasionally for navigation (though often for time-of-arrival and traffic). The TouchPad was an on-a-whim purchase. If it allows me to ebay my laptop for $700 all the better.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
I have the same question. I cant seem to tether or get my Nexus One phone to be recognized by the HP tablet and even Bluetooth on the HP tablet can't find the phone....
I was wondering, even if I got that to work... there isn't any Map GPS programs for the HP tablet or is there?.

Any advice/clues/instructions would be appreciated!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts