Android OS Forum banner

ICS Camera Libraries

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  TwinShadow 
#1 ·
Has anyone went into much detail about what is lacking in the gingerbread libraries that wont work in our ics build? Also, what is involved to build such a library? Is it proprietary? Can one be built and it work? Who would do it? I know I would be willing to donate toward it.

#4 ·
I don't know the full details, but as far as I can see, due to the new OS of 4.0 compared to 2.3, the drivers would have to be written from scratch. I think they were waiting for some sort of example (they, as in CM9 or Team Defy) of how things are coded when ICS is released on Motorola devices. I'm not entirely sure though, since I don't keep a full eye on either of them at the moment.

#8 ·
No. All the new Moto devices have 1080p camera's that I'm aware of, which leads me to believe its another camera altogether. Does the defy have the same camera? I have no clue as I don't even know what carrier the defy even was( at&t maybe?) I know we get a lot of our progress due to the fact it has an unlocked bootloader and has much of the same hardware as ours.

#13 ·
Actually, when you think about it.. Motorola should put ICS on the X2 officially because it was released in late June or July, forgot when. And if they're true to their words about updating the phones for 18 months like they're suppose to (and part of them is owned by Google), the X2 should receive an official build. Of course, companies do like to back out on their promises, history has proven this over and over again..

#14 ·
Right. Also, the X2 seems to be a bit of a red-headed stepchild in the Moto family, so to speak. I know a couple people who needed to get replacements for their X via warranty, and they changed them to an entirely different phone (not an X, as they are EOL and Verizon is out of them, but they refused to change to the X2 as well) I'm not sure if that means the X2 is hitting EOL or not, however I hope not for those people that bought them.

Ace, I didn't mean the X2 to get a working port of ICS from the Dev community (though I'm sure that'd be slick for the X2 users if that was to occur), more along the lines of Moto releasing an official ICS port that we might be able to draw some coding out of. I'm well aware of those limitations
But it might point us in the right direction a bit as well if that was to occur. If thats what you meant, well then I apologize.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.