Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's worth noting for anyone looking at this ROM:
  • This does not trip the flash counter.
  • Will wipe /mnt/sdcard
  • Social Hub <- Has a market update that isn't Social Hub, appears points to some Russian Email program? Update failed to install on my device thankfully.
  • AllShare <- Shows up in the 'My Apps' section of the market as 'testfile' by sfukuda, no updates.
AllShare's apkid - com.sec.android.app.dlna
AllShare's Market link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.dlna

Edit: Adding links for peace of mind.

·
Android Apprentice
18 Posts
It's worth noting for anyone looking at this ROM:
  • This does not trip the flash counter.
  • Will wipe /mnt/sdcard
  • Social Hub <- Has a market update that isn't Social Hub, appears points to some Russian Email program? Update failed to install on my device thankfully.
  • AllShare <- Shows up in the 'My Apps' section of the market as 'testfile' by sfukuda, no updates.
Hey is it possible that this leak is from the skyrocket in the european market? may be that is why social hub links to a russian email program? Just trying to figure it out before i load this on my phone, and possibly send out any info that i may load onto my phone when I oneclick this program onto my phone.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
looks like files included now, at the time files were on xda .....
Would you clarify what you mean by this? It's been a few months since I rooted my skyrocket, and aside from not remembering, I wouldn't expect things to work the same on ICS.

I have the ROM sucessfully loaded, and can follow instructions once I'm pointed in the right direction. I'm not sure which "files [are] included", or where, as the oneclick I downloaded only seemed to update the phone ROM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey is it possible that this leak is from the skyrocket in the european market? may be that is why social hub links to a russian email program? Just trying to figure it out before i load this on my phone, and possibly send out any info that i may load onto my phone when I oneclick this program onto my phone.
Not sure, nothing in here is defaulted Europe that I can tell. Looking at the reviews of the Russian app, it looks like this has been an ongoing problem for about a year now on various Galaxy S phones. I'm not too experienced with how the market links apps to their updates, but wouldn't be surprised if Samsung's app naming conventions are tied to a Google Developer account.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Would you clarify what you mean by this? It's been a few months since I rooted my skyrocket, and aside from not remembering, I wouldn't expect things to work the same on ICS.

I have the ROM sucessfully loaded, and can follow instructions once I'm pointed in the right direction. I'm not sure which "files [are] included", or where, as the oneclick I downloaded only seemed to update the phone ROM.
His post sounded to me like the rooting is already done for you. Just install any app that requires root and see. ROM Manager, for example.

How did you flash the ROM, though. See my post above. I haven't been able to yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
His post sounded to me like the rooting is already done for you. Just install any app that requires root and see. ROM Manager, for example.

How did you flash the ROM, though. See my post above. I haven't been able to yet.
The oneclick odin for ICS is pure stock.
On the original 2.3.5 stock rom, you could root with a zergrush exploit, then load rom manager and install the T-Mo SGS2 CWM.
With ICS, I couldn't seem to get zergrush[or any other exploit i had last night] to work again.

To root without flagging the flashcounter(Source1,Source2):
  1. Flash CWM with Odin
  2. (Put device in download mode, click the PDA button and select the .tar file that is CWM, make sure repartition IS NOT checked)
  3. Using CWM, flash Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
Edit: The reason I've been reading that this doesn't increase the flash counter is that we aren't using Odin to reflash the kernel space with a non-samsung official file. My safety rule of thumb on my Skyrocket is always use CWM if possible, and if I have to Odin I'm only using stock flashes or purely doing a CWM/recovery flash.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's beautiful (thanks), but all that applies after you have flashed the actual ROM. I haven't been able to do that yet. How do you do it? Please see my post above with screenshot of the OneClick package.

By the way, why should I be concerned about not flagging the flashcounter? Actually, what is the flashcounter and should I care?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's beautiful (thanks), but all that applies after you have flashed the actual ROM. I haven't been able to do that yet. How do you do it? Please see my post above with screenshot of the OneClick package.

By the way, why should I be concerned about not flagging the flashcounter? Actually, what is the flashcounter and should I care?
Oh right, sorry thought you were worried about the steps following.

If the device isn't showing up for Odin, then majority of the time it's a driver issue. After spending an hour on drivers on the computer I tend to give up and use a different computer and start from scratch. Ideally you'd want to install the drivers before ever plugging in the phone.
So check your device manager and try uninstalling any Android devices that pop up while the phone is connected, then disconnect the phone. Reinstall the drivers and reconnect the phone.

In my experiences Odin is able to reboot devices into download mode and do its thing, but I read all over the place it's advised to put the phone in download mode yourself first. At that same point you will likely need to load drivers again(which would be automaticly caught and installed by Windows... again, so just need to plug in the device in download mode).
Download mode: Powerdown. VolUp+VolDown, then press and hold power(or connect usb cable to computer)

The flash counter and people's experiences vary so far, it quite litterally is a mark that says "I TINKERED WITH MY PHONE IN PLACES YOU DONT WANT ME!" ROMs void warranties, 3rd party firmware voids warranties, rooting voids warranties... In theory if you had problems with your phone and took it to an AT&T replacement depo, or sent it into Samsung for repairs, they could simply say 'tough luck, warranty is voided' and say you broke it with custom software. I've heard of people going to the AT&T depos and have no consequences of having the flash counter increased. So its just something to be aware of if you expect to have issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you.

Yes, I've had those problems with Odin not seeing my Samsungs before and it is usually caused by drivers, but in this case, I didn't think it was, since I could mount my storage and everything. However, I restarted the PC and it worked. Odin couldn't place the phone in download mode, however. Attachment 1 shows how far it went and it just sat there. Attachment 2 shows you my progress right now after I manually put the phone in download mode and restarted OneClick.

My next steps will be (1) rooting and (2) installing the Telus radio that will allow me to get on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network as I am right now using my Juggernaut Gingerbread ROM. Wish me luck!

I've never worried about the warranty on my phones. I'd rather have fun. The flash counter on my G2x must be about 100 right now. I'm not exaggerating.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you.

Yes, I've had those problems with Odin not seeing my Samsungs before and it is usually caused by drivers, but in this case, I didn't think it was, since I could mount my storage and everything. However, I restarted the PC and it worked. Odin couldn't place the phone in download mode, however. Attachment 1 shows how far it went and it just sat there. Attachment 2 shows you my progress right now after I manually put the phone in download mode and restarted OneClick.

My next steps will be (1) rooting and (2) installing the Telus radio that will allow me to get on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network as I am right now using my Juggernaut Gingerbread ROM. Wish me luck!

I've never worried about the warranty on my phones. I'd rather have fun. The flash counter on my G2x must be about 100 right now. I'm not exaggerating.
The other times I've had problems with Odin was a bad cable, flashing was crack for me on my old Captivate so 100+ flashes seems normal to me lol
Have fun!

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is why my flash counter goes up so quickly. None of the T-Mobile radios worked well with this ICS ROM, so I am now going back to me original setup. Unfortunately, my nandroid backup seems to be corrupted. That means I'm starting from square one again. Fun times.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
This is why my flash counter goes up so quickly. None of the T-Mobile radios worked well with this ICS ROM, so I am now going back to me original setup. Unfortunately, my nandroid backup seems to be corrupted. That means I'm starting from square one again. Fun times.
Glad to hear you got it working. I figured out the process mentioned by someone 2-3 posts below mine...use ODIN to flash CWM (took a few tries, actually!), using the file named SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar (md5: 9ffa2458019af7974ef4820d0cf5992c), instead of the recovery.tar.md5 the first instructions I found said to use.

Once I actually got CWM loaded, I did a nandroid of ICS installed. Then used CWM to root by installing a superuser zip file. This too required a different file, instead of the older superuser.zip version in the instructions, I downloaded the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file from http://androidsu.com/superuser/ (the source?). This didn't seem to work at first, but then I tried it a 2nd time, and worked just fine.

Booted to verify the presence of the Superuser app, then another nandroid (to save the effort of re-rooting in the future). Now restoring my apps and settings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm having a problem getting my skyrocket in download mode. I've simultaneously press the down volume, home button and power without any success. Can I get any help?
Connect it via USB, press VolUp + VolDn + Power simultaneously. When it vibrates, release Power and keep VolUp + VolDn pressed until you get to the menu warning you about download mode. Release and oress VolUp to confirm. Voilá.

·
Android Beginner
15 Posts
I ran into some issues using the one click, I think the issue is when it is ran with Vista. When I tried the same file with Windows 7 it worked just fine. So be aware if you're trying to use the one click with Vista.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah guys, I got it. Thanks. Works well, though battery life didn't see much of an improvement. Any ideas? I don't really want to use the power saving feature on the phone as it really didn't help when I was on GB.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts