Android OS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
60 Posts
I was thinking, that if we used chroot ubuntu and installed chromium (example here:
)

And then installed the netflix plugin in the chrome store (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...blnlcjooeohmmeldh?hl=en-US&hc=search&hcp=main) which lets you run netflix in any chrome browser then...

Shouldn't we potentially be able to get netflix to play on the Touchpad? I havent even gotten mine yet, so i cant test this theory but it should work as far as i can tell.

~iLive12
 

·
Android Master Jedi
Joined
·
377 Posts
ilive12 said:
I was thinking, that if we used chroot ubuntu and installed chromium (example here:
)

And then installed the netflix plugin in the chrome store (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...blnlcjooeohmmeldh?hl=en-US&hc=search&hcp=main) which lets you run netflix in any chrome browser then...

Shouldn't we potentially be able to get netflix to play on the Touchpad? I havent even gotten mine yet, so i cant test this theory but it should work as far as i can tell.

~iLive12
It won't work. That plugin doesn't work on any chrome or chromium browser. It only plays video on windows, mac, and chromebooks. No linux love... Sorry to burst your bubble.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
60 Posts
Aww, that sucks. Maybe we can port moonlight to ARM processors.

xiVFINISHERVix said:
Just wait for android to be ported and then you can just download the app and watch all you want.
Netflix isnt even guaranteed to work wether or not we get it working or not, it still has compatibility issues for many devices.
 

·
Android Master Jedi
Joined
·
377 Posts
Yes, but if we can make it work on cyanogenmod for phones, we should be able to make it work on cm7 on touchpad. The building prop is already going to have to declare itself some other device for the market to work. I think you'll see it will work. I'd put money on it ;-) there is some true talent working on this, I'm sure some of them like Netflix...

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
56 Posts
ilive12 said:
Aww, that sucks. Maybe we can port moonlight to ARM processors.

Netflix isnt even guaranteed to work wether or not we get it working or not, it still has compatibility issues for many devices.
The main thing holding back netflix from working on most devices is that a supported DRM backend must be present on the hardware side. The second generation and newer snapdragon series of SoC's are among those supported. Thus there have been hacked copies of Netflix going around which will run on devices other than the official list of devices that netflix currently supports.

I'm sure somebody will be able to hack a netflix APK to work on the touchpad. However there's a little problem: Those ones are meant for tiny cell phone sized screens. I know that a tablet from lenovo, as well as the motorola xoom, support netflix. But both of those run on the tegra platform, not snapdragon. I don't know if there are any snapdragon based tablets that have official netflix support.
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
56 Posts
Jordan8 said:
could always just use playon.
Playon has some limitations; namely you have to run your own server within a local network. That means forget about watching while tethering.
 

·
Android Junkie
Joined
·
529 Posts
Rakeesh said:
The main thing holding back netflix from working on most devices is that a supported DRM backend must be present on the hardware side. The second generation and newer snapdragon series of SoC's are among those supported. Thus there have been hacked copies of Netflix going around which will run on devices other than the official list of devices that netflix currently supports.

I'm sure somebody will be able to hack a netflix APK to work on the touchpad. However there's a little problem: Those ones are meant for tiny cell phone sized screens. I know that a tablet from lenovo, as well as the motorola xoom, support netflix. But both of those run on the tegra platform, not snapdragon. I don't know if there are any snapdragon based tablets that have official netflix support.
the app will scale for tablets automatically. Its not like the crappy scaling from webOS apps.

our problem is going to be hardware acceleration. Our pad not being supported native by android should make this difficult to get working correctly. Also stuttering or as with the nook, chipmunk voices can be an issue. Hopefully it will be butter but I'm not counting on it
 

·
Android Master Jedi
Joined
·
377 Posts
altimax98 said:
the app will scale for tablets automatically. Its not like the crappy scaling from webOS apps.

our problem is going to be hardware acceleration. Our pad not being supported native by android should make this difficult to get working correctly. Also stuttering or as with the nook, chipmunk voices can be an issue. Hopefully it will be butter but I'm not counting on it
I think the nook stutters are more because it was never designed for video and is only clocked at 800 mhz by default if I remember correctly. Touchpad is designed for 1.5 ghz and is dual core. I'm pretty sure that huge jump in specs will make a huge difference.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
56 Posts
altimax98 said:
the app will scale for tablets automatically. Its not like the crappy scaling from webOS apps.

our problem is going to be hardware acceleration. Our pad not being supported native by android should make this difficult to get working correctly. Also stuttering or as with the nook, chipmunk voices can be an issue. Hopefully it will be butter but I'm not counting on it
Yeah but is it going to be viewable at full resolution? That's the only thing I'm worried about, upscaling low quality video is meh.
 

·
Somewhere surrounded by server stacks...
Joined
·
130 Posts
I'm also a bit worried about the video stuff. My Droid 1 on cm seems to handle everything smoothly enough though; I just wonder if it's hardware accelerated at all. It's at 1.21ghz for anyone that's wondering. All it needs to do now is hit 88mph.

Though it is said that this processor on the Touchpad can decode 1080p video natively. Hopefully that'll make a difference?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top