Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't own the phone, but have thought about picking it up third party just to mess around with. so I'm glad some, even a little bit of progress is being made to get this phone up and running. so a big thank you to the awesome devs who are working on it :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
i don't own the phone, but have thought about picking it up third party just to mess around with. so I'm glad some, even a little bit of progress is being made to get this phone up and running. so a big thank you to the awesome devs who are working on it :)
It is a really nice phone for the price. Best free phone (on contract) there is

Sent from my SCH-I200 using RootzWiki

·
Android Apprentice
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a really nice phone for the price. Best free phone (on contract) there is

yeah, but i don't want to lose my unlimited quite yet, that's probably the only thing stopping me from upgrading

·
Registered
16 Posts
I picked mine up for $110 shipped off Fleabay (wouldn't mess with your unlimited). I love it so far... I used to have a T-mo vibrant years ago, and this little phone replaces it well (only negs to it are screen, camera, and internal memory). I haven't rooted it yet, but am starting to get the itch to get this thing going... :)

·
Android Apprentice
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked mine up for $110 shipped off Fleabay (wouldn't mess with your unlimited). I love it so far... I used to have a T-mo vibrant years ago, and this little phone replaces it well (only negs to it are screen, camera, and internal memory). I haven't rooted it yet, but am starting to get the itch to get this thing going... :)
haha, i understand that, I'm running a fascinate running a cm10 nightly :) it's running quote smooth on my fascinate and I'm loving it :)
the stellar comes with ics, right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
haha, i understand that, I'm running a fascinate running a cm10 nightly :) it's running quote smooth on my fascinate and I'm loving it :)
the stellar comes with ics, right?
Comes with Android 4.0.4

·
Registered
76 Posts
hm, im thinking i still want one though, I'll even live with touchwiz
Touchwiz Isn't so bad. Also can replace the launcher

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, Touchwiz has evolved into something quite nice... not like it used to be, that's for sure! I have now rooted and installed the custom rom on this site by Aglarond. It's kicking along pretty well. LIke was mentioned earlier, this is ICS 4.0.4, but...... with you having a sammy product before... it will take a while to get the official JB update (if ever). ICS will be around for a while, I mean, GB is still alive and kicking and Froyo is hanging in there too. The Quad scores are over 4,000's and to put that into perspective, the Vibrants best days were in the 2500's. So far, I really like this phone, and even if it doesn't get picked up by cynagenmod, it still has enough horsepower.

·
Android Apprentice
103 Posts
Yeah, Touchwiz has evolved into something quite nice... not like it used to be, that's for sure! I have now rooted and installed the custom rom on this site by Aglarond. It's kicking along pretty well. LIke was mentioned earlier, this is ICS 4.0.4, but...... with you having a sammy product before... it will take a while to get the official JB update (if ever). ICS will be around for a while, I mean, GB is still alive and kicking and Froyo is hanging in there too. The Quad scores are over 4,000's and to put that into perspective, the Vibrants best days were in the 2500's. So far, I really like this phone, and even if it doesn't get picked up by cynagenmod, it still has enough horsepower.
nice. yeah, im enjoying my fascinate at the moment running jellybean. i do want to pick up this phone and knowing that devs are working on it behind the scenes is even more exciting. i can't to see this phone can possibly evolve into

·
Registered
76 Posts
If a few cm devs picked this phone up it would be cool. Also somebody needs to figure out how to unlock the bootloader

·
iamr00t!
357 Posts
If a few cm devs picked this phone up it would be cool. Also somebody needs to figure out how to unlock the bootloader

The big hurdle with getting cm on this device is the bootloader, since it wont allow us to flash a custom boot.img

With working kexec, we would be able to hotboot a boot.img and get around this (we used to do this with the vzw sgs3 before we had an unlocked bootloader)

Not saying that an unlocked bootloader wouldn't be helpful, it just isn't 100% necessary.

Kexec is a bit finicky, and its tough to test on a device that isn't in hand.

·
Android Apprentice
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The big hurdle with getting cm on this device is the bootloader, since it wont allow us to flash a custom boot.img

With working kexec, we would be able to hotboot a boot.img and get around this (we used to do this with the vzw sgs3 before we had an unlocked bootloader)

Not saying that an unlocked bootloader wouldn't be helpful, it just isn't 100% necessary.

Kexec is a bit finicky, and its tough to test on a device that isn't in hand.
if i find a good deal on the stellar, and no one else has volunteered, I'd be willing to test

·
Android Beginner
11 Posts
I'm willing to try some testing. I really want this phone to perform a little better (getting rid of the Wifi popups and completely retailoring the settings menu would be great places to start for custom ROM devs, imo.) I also wonder if there is a way to make the phone think that the external SD card is the internal one. I'd much rather use my 16GB SD so I can install larger games like the new NFS: Most Wanted.

·
Android Apprentice
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm willing to try some testing. I really want this phone to perform a little better (getting rid of the Wifi popups and completely retailoring the settings menu would be great places to start for custom ROM devs, imo.) I also wonder if there is a way to make the phone think that the external SD card is the internal one. I'd much rather use my 16GB SD so I can install larger games like the new NFS: Most Wanted.
what's the phone have for internal memory?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts