Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't see this posted anywhere else so I am starting a new topic as this needs to be said since it is a huge blow to future development. As I mentioned in my update thread, the new ota to 4.1.2 JB has a new bootloader. Flashing a custom recovery now trips the flash count regardless of the method used. Even more disappointing news is that once you have jellybean you can kiss custom recovery(or any hopes of using kexec) goodbye completly. To simplify it,
THE BOOTLOADER NOW CHECKS THE RECOVERY PARTITION ON BOOT!
so flashing twrp or cwm is a no-go which means flashing roms on JB is was pretty much impossible.

*UPDATE:: Thanks to ghost901 for testing. The old bootloader works on jellybean. So if you want to flash twrp or cwm place THIS FILE on your desktop and run it before applying a custom recovery. Its an odin one-click so u need to be in download mode. If you used my old PITA method of getting to twrp flash this to revert the bootloader and keep your ability to have a custom recovery.
-------------------------------------Stop here if not feeling extreamly ballsy right now-----------------------------------------------------
Here is a copy of a test app. Its made to easily swap between bootloaders to allow(lh2) or block(ma1) custom recovery. It has been untested and to be used at ur own risk. I am not responsible if it goes crazy and blows your phone up. If it works be sure to thank mmmeff add it's a modified version of his easy unlock app got the Verizon s3.
My version for the galaxy stellar.
Fuckyouvzw-aboot-downgrader
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oz5k0401jqsaida/fuckvzw_aboot_downgrader.apk

Mmmmeff's easy unlock
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/32456-app-920-ez-unlock-14-easiest-way-to-unlock-your-bootloader/

·
Registered
448 Posts
2 things, this is always a big bummer UNTIL, somebody inevitably finds a work around and then rejoice.. Second, dafuq is a galaxy stellar ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 things, this is always a big bummer UNTIL, somebody inevitably finds a work around and then rejoice.. Second, dafuq is a galaxy stellar ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
LMAO, my exact words when my cuz told me he was getting it. Its basically verizon's low budget crappy version of the SIII. And only workaround I see is a unlocked bootloader leak like the s3 had (Hellooo Samsung, anyone out there listening?)hint hint.
Only other means would be to downgrade the bootloader, kernel and recovery. Boot straight to recovery and doing whatever then reflashing stock recovery, updated kernel and bootloader before rebooting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is there any other way to flash roms? Cause I know everything on this phone is touchy when you try to play around with stuff. I've only ever flashed with TWRP and if I cant go back or change later I dont think I wanna do the update haha

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is there any other way to flash roms? Cause I know everything on this phone is touchy when you try to play around with stuff. I've only ever flashed with TWRP and if I cant go back or change later I dont think I wanna do the update haha
as said above I have a method just want a tester to confirm it works. Plus is only temporary which means after u do whatever in recovery you must reflash stock recovery before you reboot so its a huge pain in the ass. If you take the update you can roll back to ics via my one click in the op of the update thread. If you think you may want to roll back later than I recommend applying the update in twrp via my instructions and making a nandroid backup of just /data before doing the update.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would be willing to try the twrp (I tried cwm once and killed my touchscreen -- wont try that again) workaround assuming it won't completely brick my phone. Between titanium backup and twrp my phone is backed up pretty well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hold on.... I just dumped the JB recovery image as a backup before I loaded TWRP... does this mean that even if I just took the stock recovery image that I just created and tried to load it via ODIN, it would fail?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hold on.... I just dumped the JB recovery image as a backup before I loaded TWRP... does this mean that even if I just took the stock recovery image that I just created and tried to load it via ODIN, it would fail?
Corrrect. Odin will still flash the LH2 recovery tho and it wont trip the bootloader. The new one will fail tho. Now I do have a way to do a backup in twrp but its a pain in the ass i can outline it here tho

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah... I have invisibleK's LH2 image (full phone) that works like a champ.. That, SuperSU's rootdebugFS and OTA Rootkeeper let me keep root into JB..

but ... maybe you can help this one... the custom lock shows up on boot. I can only assume rooting caused that... is there a way to get rid of it without having to way back to LH2?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah... I have invisibleK's LH2 image (full phone) that works like a champ.. That, SuperSU's rootdebugFS and OTA Rootkeeper let me keep root into JB..

but ... maybe you can help this one... the custom lock shows up on boot. I can only assume rooting caused that... is there a way to get rid of it without having to way back to LH2?
Im not sure as the steallar ive worked with only gets the lock sometimes and it seems completly random. What have you altered in the system?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rooted (SuperSU's debugfs)... that's pretty much it. The root apps I use are Link2SD, Titanium backup, BetterBatteryStats uses it.. a few others. Nothing major.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pardon the questions... using the old adage, I am trying to learn how to fish. :)

So I'll still need the latest TWRP image to load with adb?

And what's in jb-bootup.zip and [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]use-twrp-on-stellar.tar?[/background]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pardon the questions... using the old adage, I am trying to learn how to fish. :)

So I'll still need the latest TWRP image to load with adb?

And what's in jb-bootup.zip and [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]use-twrp-on-stellar.tar?[/background]
No ive included twrp in the package. jb-bootup is the new bootloader, recovery and kernel. use-twrp-on-stellar is the old bootloader, kernel, and recovery plus an empty cache file to force the phone into booting recovery

·
Registered
116 Posts
So would the adb command be this? Also does this mean you'd have to use adb to get to twrp every time?

dd if=/sdcard/TWRP.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

because the TWRP in the download is the .img recovery right? Or am I way off

·
Registered
92 Posts
So would the adb command be this? Also does this mean you'd have to use adb to get to twrp every time?

dd if=/sdcard/TWRP.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

because the TWRP in the download is the .img recovery right? Or am I way off
Nope that is exactly right

I cannot say for sure but the stock recovery may not see sdcard so you may have to do this:
adb push TWRP.img /tmp

then

dd if=/tmp/TWRP.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

1 - 20 of 45 Posts